Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

thank you for the assist today...
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 19, 14 6:09 pm    thank you for the assist today... Reply with quote

Today at the bar I had to self rescue after my lines got messed up after a crash.

Cheers to Kevin in a zodiac style boat for the ride back and picking up my board. PM me Kevin, I owe you a six pack.

p.s probably 10 kiters checked in on me during the whole rescue (ugly rescue by the way) so thank you to all. What an amazing community of people in this sport.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSat Jul 19, 14 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

I wasn't sure what was goin on with your kite but yea I'm glad you made it back! Oh, and that spot has a weird confluence of river current. I've been stuck there before :-/

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 19, 14 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

it was really weird actually and I have been trying to figure out what happened all afternoon. I was underpowered on my 8m so working the kite while fully sheeted in to get back to the bar and by accident unhooked. The middle line flagged out fully so I swam back to the bar and pulled the middle line back through. When I got control bar sorted and got the kite out of the water on the right side of the kite a back and front line were crossed.

thinking that the bar went through the lines at some point but I'm struggling to visualize exactly how that would happen.

that red buoy got close a few times... phew

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 19, 14 11:24 pm     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
I was underpowered on my 8m so working the kite while fully sheeted in to get back to the bar and by accident unhooked.

You probably knocked the chicken loop off your harness while working the kite aggressively... it happens. "Normally" you're supposed to be able to hook things back up after a QR1 release, but its pretty common to have some tangles that force a self-rescue. Some guys will ride suicide just to help avoid this problem, but check your system and understand how the setup & release work before trying it. If you accidentally knock off your chicken loop riding suicide, its essentially just like you let go of the bar. Your kite should lose most of it power and getting the bar back is just a matter of pulling in your leash. There are risks & benefits either way, so its really up to every rider to weigh the pros & cons and decide what setup works best for them.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 5:12 am     Reply with quote

[quote="D-Krep It Kiter"]
jerp wrote:
Some guys will ride suicide just to help avoid this problem, .

riding suicide is with the lease attached to the 90% depower?

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 5:54 am     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:

riding suicide is with the lease attached to the 90% depower?

On my North bar, riding suicide is where if you unhook and then let go of the bar, your leash is attached to the chicken loop, so that your kite doesn't go into full safety flagging mode. There is the chicken loop, then a metal ring for the flagging line. Normally (non-suicide setup) your leash is clipped to the metal ring which is attached only to the safety line. If your chicken loop comes off for any reason, all the tension goes on to the safety line attached, and the kite flags out. To setup suicide mode, you open up the chicken loop, then slide the metal ring over it, then close the chicken loop back up. Now, if you unhook and drop the bar, your leash is attached to the chicken loop, so its just like you have simply let go of the bar... except that now your leash is stretched out in front of you with the chicken loop attached. Technically, your kite is just supposed to do whatever it does when you just let go of the bar... most are *supposed to* depower and go into a reverse launch or side launch position, waiting for you to grab the bar and take control of the kite again. Obviously, things can go wrong: lines can get tangled and the kite is not flagging, so its still capable of generating some power, and may do so (a line or bridal wrap may cause the kite to start looping.... saw this at Stevenson just a few days ago). Because of this, you'll find most if not all manufacturers advising caution before using a "suicide" setup.

Again, with my North bar, if the QR1 is activated in suicide mode, then the chicken loop opens up, the ring slips off, and the kite flags on its safety line just like it would in a normal setup. I've only described the setup on the North bar, (2013). Other bars may be quite different. In regards to the "90 percent depower", thats probably the same idea, hooking up the bar in such a way that you can unhook, drop the bar, and not have the kite go into full flagging mode. I know this sounds obvious, but manufacturers may use different terminology and of course different methods & bar systems for unhooked riding, so be totally clear on how you've set your bar up, and how the safety systems will work when engaged.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSun Jul 20, 14 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Jerp I think you had a rally and so suicide on the SS setup is hooking your leash on the small metal eye right below the chicken loop release. If your chicken loop releases unexpectedly or you let go of the bar the kite will retain even power centrally on your front lines. The kite will be depowered but ready to relaunch once you get your bar back and the loop re-engaged. The Rallys are forgiving so this isn't a bad way to go. If conditions are critical I sometimes don't rig it suicide but usually it's fine. Looked like you always were active in your self rescue. Way to keep at it, that zone downwind of Wells by the buoys is funky.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 7:34 am     Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys. I actually have the same as D Krep it, LF NRG with the CPR bar. This was an old bar thou, 2011. In fact this is the only bar this has happened to me before on. My wife once and now twice for me which makes me think something is wrong.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 7:36 am     Reply with quote

....other than me being a kook of course Wink

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 8:13 am     Reply with quote

you swam in because you had a frontlines backlines line cross?

in the future just ride it back in, line crossing doesn't affect kite performance, just actual tangles on the kite or bar itself.

riding suicide/depower leash setup (leashed to harness loop, sheeting line, trim handle or anywhere else that prevents your kite from flagging out) is not recommended, especially to avoid a problem like this (which isn't really a problem).

side note:
learn to flag out and reset your kite, go do it 30xs, it takes 30 seconds and is generally hassle free. or ride suicide, crash unhooked, catch an outside line around your bar, go for a vicious ride and then release your leash and lose your kite .... at least around here there are tons of people around to rescue it.

another side note: here is a story: I was on the sandbar the other day as the sun was setting, crazy 10-35 style wind happening, one rider out basically killing it on a 10, obviously a good rider. im walking in, almost to the mini channel crossing, loaded with gear, he flies in from way out there just to catch me before im gone so I can "land his kite" wtf??
be a man, do it yourself, that's what your kiteleash system is for, and if it is a good one then your have no worries. if the place is all crowded and stuff and you made the choice of coming in where there a bunch of people around then maybe it does make sense to have someone help you land, but you could also choose to stop somewhere with open space and do it yourself. on an empty sandbar after a solo shred session just finish it right and land your kite (by disabling it onto the leash system) (or tricky techniques if you know them)

it is amazing to me how needy many gorge kiters actual are. you all ride in extremely intense conditions and have lots of skills, but its like no one out here can take care of themselves. lots of other places that is the rule: you launch and land yourself (at least you are 100% comfortable knowing you can do that if you have to, especially landing yourself)

self landing: flag kite out onto leash system. I recommend single centerline systems over any other, which nearly all the industry uses at this point. that is just my opinion tho other setups may be legit, but a single centerline will drop any kite ever, no question.

got a little off topic there.....your kite can fly fine with crossed lines.

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

Last edited by DownStream on Sun Jul 20, 14 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 9:03 am     Reply with quote

I did fly it with crossed lines for 40 feet until I ended up in the black hole, kite dropped and I could not get it back up. I seemed to be getting closer to the buoy I decided to self rescue rather get tangled. Swam for about about 20 feet and got the offer of a boat ride.... Naturally I took the ride...so not so much needy as lazy

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

haha, ok. I wasn't really trying to pick on you anyway just making general comment

that black hole is a bitch, I got no advise for how to deal with that thing, call for backup pretty much required

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Oh I know...no worries downstream.

krueg

Since 16 Feb 2010
51 Posts
Wenatchee Wa

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 21, 14 8:12 am     Reply with quote

No problem, jerp. I thought it was pretty cool that even though I was helping you out , we still had people kiting by waving and shouting at us and pointing to your board so that you didn't loose it. So great to ride in a spot where everyone looks out for each other.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 8:54 am     Reply with quote

DownStream wrote:

another side note: here is a story: I was on the sandbar the other day as the sun was setting, crazy 10-35 style wind happening, one rider out basically killing it on a 10, obviously a good rider. im walking in, almost to the mini channel crossing, loaded with gear, he flies in from way out there just to catch me before im gone so I can "land his kite" wtf??

I prefer self launching my kite for safety reasons. But a kite will last a lot longer if you have someone else launch and land your kite. Also, some kites self land much better than others. so, if someone is available to land you, take advantage of it. Be happy to assist someone land, it only takes a few seconds.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:
DownStream wrote:

I prefer self launching my kite for safety reasons. But a kite will last a lot longer if you have someone else launch and land your kite. Also, some kites self land much better than others. so, if someone is available to land you, take advantage of it. Be happy to assist someone land, it only takes a few seconds.

Totally agree. The suggestion to "be a man" and land the kite yourself (in "crazy 10-35 style wind") seems particularly odd coming from an instructor. I'm comfortable with self land and launch, but always prefer to have someone do it for me if available. Kiting is risky, but it's always best to minimize risk and it's hard for me to imagine how self landing would ever be safer than having an experienced kiter catch your kite. It's also of course easier on the kite and less likely to get my lines all tangled (especially if using my release to land).

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 10:16 am    “Be a Man”, “Needy”? Reply with quote

OK, it’s a great idea to know how to self land.

Despite the rider’s skills; is a “crazy 10-35 style wind” really the wise choice when a “helpful” human is available to quickly catch the kite & reduce risk or gear wear and tear?

“Be a Man”, “Needy”? AKA asking for assistance? What if the story had a woman landing her kite?

Is this kite landing interaction (in bad winds) actually a simple forced codependence that yields improved tribal bonding? An evolved community can exceed and succeed over that of a solitary individual of great attributes.

Raise all Boats: Your knowledge and skills are extremely valuable. Please offer a clinic on your “tricky techniques”.

DownStream wrote:

be a man, do it yourself, that's what your kiteleash system is for, and if it is a good one then your have no worries. if the place is all crowded and stuff and you made the choice of coming in where there a bunch of people around then maybe it does make sense to have someone help you land, but you could also choose to stop somewhere with open space and do it yourself. on an empty sandbar after a solo shred session just finish it right and land your kite (by disabling it onto the leash system) (or tricky techniques if you know them)

it is amazing to me how needy many gorge kiters actual are. you all ride in extremely intense conditions and have lots of skills, but its like no one out here can take care of themselves. lots of other places that is the rule: you launch and land yourself (at least you are 100% comfortable knowing you can do that if you have to, especially landing yourself)

got a little off topic there.....your kite can fly fine with crossed lines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: