Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bye Bye SS...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri May 23, 14 6:53 am    Re: Manzanita 5-21 Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
.let's take this all the way back to 2008 and rebrand Rev's as "wave specific". Rolling Eyes

done. the ben wilson noise Very Happy

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 23, 14 7:00 am    Re: Manzanita 5-21 Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
Sella wrote:
.let's take this all the way back to 2008 and rebrand Rev's as "wave specific". Rolling Eyes

done. the ben wilson noise Very Happy

HAHA NAILED IT!!!!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 23, 14 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

Ok then. When is the 2015 Rally coming out?!

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 23, 14 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

Unhook in real waves Sella? The Rally is a poor choice for unhooking in "real" waves. It's a pivot turning kite more suited to smaller junky waves where you need to put yourself in the right position quickly. An Rpm/Rev or C kite is better for the unhooked style as they pull through the turns. It's maybe a bit harder but really just requires practice and the right gear set up. So yeah most of us don't unhook much and that's were the Rally's really shine.

As for Gorge swell, its fun, but its a river for christ's sake..

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostFri May 23, 14 3:35 pm    history Reply with quote

2009 - rev= wave? 2010 - octane=wave? 2011 rally- wave? 2012 rally-=wave?
2013 - rally = ride forward= wave? 2014 rally= wave & four connect points rear lines: I ride the 2010 octane ; 13m great kite:
when companies started removing the power steering from the bridles for a direct connect that's when the wing tips problems came in; now most companies solution this;
just putting the back lines forward helps a lot and pumping it rock hard;
My wife always talks about being dynamic;
My main complaints are the bar :: on most kites''
What most comes to point is the below the bar spiner:
seems the go to set up is over the bar depower,and under the bar spiner: D>P>

;

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bob

Since 09 Mar 2007
137 Posts
Madison, Wi
Stoked

PostFri May 23, 14 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

Caps...2015 Rally will be out in the next month or so.

Stay tuned and some recent good news from SS for CY 2015. Wink

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri May 23, 14 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

OK, it is time to chime in on this one. I was a devote RPM rider for years and decided to change things up this year and try some 2014 Rallys. Comparing the 2 kite models I will side with the Rally as a better kite in all regards except it does not turn as fast as the RPMs. The Rally has better range, goes upwind better, drifts slightly better, has better hang time and lift when needing to jump and is a more powerful kite for the size. A 2014 Rally 12m is as powerful as a RPM 14m and maybe even more low end. The 7m Rally is comparable to a 8m RPM. The Rally is also more stable and tends to smooth out gusty conditions better than the RPM.

I don't think the Rally needs the 5 struts and can probably go back to a 3 strut design like the 2012 models with some split strut work and rework of canopy reinforcement. If SS can speed up the turning and bar responsiveness of the Rally they will have one killer kite model.

Question Question Question

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostTue Jun 03, 14 11:17 pm     Reply with quote

bob wrote:
Stay tuned and some recent good news from SS for CY 2015. Wink
Any idea when these will be out for everyone? Being very curious Laughing

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 04, 14 6:13 am     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
OK, it is time to chime in on this one. I was a devote RPM rider for years and decided to change things up this year and try some 2014 Rallys. Comparing the 2 kite models I will side with the Rally as a better kite in all regards except it does not turn as fast as the RPMs. The Rally has better range, goes upwind better, drifts slightly better, has better hang time and lift when needing to jump and is a more powerful kite for the size. A 2014 Rally 12m is as powerful as a RPM 14m and maybe even more low end. The 7m Rally is comparable to a 8m RPM. The Rally is also more stable and tends to smooth out gusty conditions better than the RPM.

I don't think the Rally needs the 5 struts and can probably go back to a 3 strut design like the 2012 models with some split strut work and rework of canopy reinforcement. If SS can speed up the turning and bar responsiveness of the Rally they will have one killer kite model.

Question Question Question

Does the 2014 Rally turn as fast as an RPM one size bigger? I'm convinced the the 2014 Rally "puts out more power" but also turns a lot slower because it is physically much larger than its designated size. Lay a 2011 Rally 12M over the top of a 2014 12M and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone want to buy a 2014 12M that performs like a 14M? Its a good kite, I'm just not sure why it was sold as a 12M.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 12, 14 9:50 am     Reply with quote

FlyDunes wrote:
The original design Rally was a kick ass kite.

I never had any "folding problems" with any of my old Rallys. Sounds like an issue that could be caused by under-inflating & over-sheeting?...

I agree. The problem was, the people with the wingtip folding problems shouted a LOT louder than the people who loved the 2011/2012 design!! I loved it. I kept that thing inflated rock hard. The few times I had momentary wingtip folding were when I had it underinflated, or was overpowered and sent it through the power zone fully sheeted in... ...I didn't love that wingtip stability issue, but the benefits far outweighed that nuance.

The 2011/2012 was an awesome kite. Fast. Medium bar pressure. Great range. BUT, there was enough shouting about the wingtip issue that if they didn't respond to that they might as well stop making that kite. In addition to being sold to wave riders, it was also sold as the ideal novice/intermediate kite and that means it is used by schools and by new kiters who are more likely to experience the issue. They're also the people who buy new quivers. That kite had to be made rock solid.

Windian wrote:

Agreed!
They should go back to the design of 2011/2012 but the sizing of the 2013/2014. The new kites are bigger, which I like.
I replaced my old 14M with a new 12M.

FlyDunes wrote:
Does the 2014 Rally turn as fast as an RPM one size bigger? I'm convinced the the 2014 Rally "puts out more power" but also turns a lot slower because it is physically much larger than its designated size. Lay a 2011 Rally 12M over the top of a 2014 12M and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone want to buy a 2014 12M that performs like a 14M? Its a good kite, I'm just not sure why it was sold as a 12M.

LOL ...yeah, I just sold a 2014 14M because it had too much low end! The 12 is all most people would need.

Using your example above, I think a 12M RPM is still a bit faster than a new 10M Rally.

I don't think it is just size slowing it down. Its something about the design. The new 12 matches that old 14 in power, but is slower. I wish they could have kept the magic without slowing it down and increasing the bar pressure. I still like fly them, though. The 2014s are still great kites!

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 12, 14 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

man this site has changed so much since Dan k and Proktor were banned...

achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostSun Jun 15, 14 6:06 pm    Re: No response? Reply with quote

K2 wrote:
Hey Lurk,

I'm manning the Slingshot Rider Hotline M-F, 8-5 dude! I'll admit, sometimes I take a kite break or I'll be helping other people, but I'm able to get to most inquiries within a day or two. If you, or anybody else besides SA, ever have any questions about anything just drop me a line at 509-427-4950 or info@slingshotsports.com.

Don't be gone for too long y'hear?! Wink

K2

I just paid $690 for a used 2012 12m rally. Tell product management that people want the 2012 rallys..

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 15, 14 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

So I am guessing that Slingy is keeping tabs on this thread and what does anyone else think of making the smaller Rally's (maybe 5-9) three strut, faster wave kites since the heavy weights will not be on them much and making the larger one's which are probably too big to surf well with the 5 strut stable platform for the big guys. Maybe?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 16, 14 11:11 am     Reply with quote

I would disagree. For most of the planet, wave kiting is a lite wind endeavor and the most used kites are the larger sizes - 10, 12, 14.
Maybe you can see the challenge Slingshot has - they're not designing the kite specifically for the gorge and Florence.....
That being said - I'm 180 lbs and kite the gorge, or. coast, maui, and baja. My smaller kites are RPMs and my larger kites are Rallys.
I see very few people who park their kite and surf a wave, requiring the kite to drift. And when they do they're typically surfing way too fast and go too far down the line with each turn and of course their kite stalls and falls.
For that reason, most amatuers send their kite with each transition (top turn, bottom turn) and I love the RPMs for that reason.
Lastly - I also dream of the holy grail - a Rally that's light, fast, powerfull, and drifts well. Until then I make due with small RPMs and large Rallys.

knotwindy wrote:
So I am guessing that Slingy is keeping tabs on this thread and what does anyone else think of making the smaller Rally's (maybe 5-9) three strut, faster wave kites since the heavy weights will not be on them much and making the larger one's which are probably too big to surf well with the 5 strut stable platform for the big guys. Maybe?

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostMon Jun 16, 14 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

That's a combo I have been thinking about lately, too. What kept me from it is the smooth power delivery in kiteloops and better relaunchabilaty of the Rally. I am only using strapless surfboards for some years now. I think I'll wait a bit if a wavekite comes, then demo it and decide how to go on.

Rorke

Since 23 Oct 2009
22 Posts
Traverse City, MI

PostTue Jul 08, 14 4:04 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone made a modification to the 2013 12m to make it more like the 2012?

I love the 2012. Bought a 6/8/10 set up from Bob at Kiteriders. (I am 190lbs and have never folded a 2012.)

Slingshot should have renamed the kite for 2013 it is so different.

I suppose my 2013 12m Rally does fill the lightwind slot in my quiver. Also, it is good for loaning to noobs and freeriders. Also, I can unhook easier, but that could be the gentle conditions.

However, I used it again in some small, onshore waves last weekend, and it isn't for me. Slow, higher pressure sheeting and turning, and doesn't settle in deep.

Glad to hear rumors about a 2015 appearance of a SS wave kite. I won't be able to swing it until 2016 though.

If there isn't a worthwhile tweak, I am gonna blow the dust off my Eclipse Kima for a while.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Jul 08, 14 8:42 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I would disagree. For most of the planet, wave kiting is a lite wind endeavor and the most used kites are the larger sizes - 10, 12, 14.
Maybe you can see the challenge Slingshot has - they're not designing the kite specifically for the gorge and Florence.....
That being said - I'm 180 lbs and kite the gorge, or. coast, maui, and baja. My smaller kites are RPMs and my larger kites are Rallys.
I see very few people who park their kite and surf a wave, requiring the kite to drift. And when they do they're typically surfing way too fast and go too far down the line with each turn and of course their kite stalls and falls.
For that reason, most amatuers send their kite with each transition (top turn, bottom turn) and I love the RPMs for that reason.
Lastly - I also dream of the holy grail - a Rally that's light, fast, powerfull, and drifts well. Until then I make due with small RPMs and large Rallys.

knotwindy wrote:

I think I'm going this way too with the exception that I love the Rally for high wind 30mph+. In those conditions it is almost always gusting 30-40+ and the little Rallys are very nice and easier to deal with on the beach too. Todd and others have hit the mark with the Rally in the waves comments, especially with the larger sizes. For solid wind and waves, however, a C kite DNA is the best for turning speed, smooth power through the kite's transition and unhooking. The pivot nature of a Rally just takes some getting used to in timing but I don't like it as much. Having flown a lot of RPMs and now Ozone Reos I may go to a 6m Rally-8m & 10m RPM/Reo-12m Rally quiver. Those Reos are super nice wave kites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: