Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Everett, Seattle, Bellingham Saturday (4/19)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kite4height

Since 27 Aug 2010
1 Posts
Edmonds

PostFri Apr 18, 14 10:35 am    Kiting in Everett, Seattle, Bellingham Saturday (4/19)? Reply with quote

My friend and me are planning on going kiteboarding tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone else wants to meet up. Thinking might chance it at Jetty with the afternoon rain, but open to other ideas.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 10:53 am     Reply with quote

You'll get a better response from Seatle/Tacoma/Everett/Bellingham people:
http://pskite.org/index.php

Kite4Delight

Since 05 Sep 2013
1 Posts
Seattle

PostFri Apr 18, 14 11:04 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
You'll get a better response from Seatle/Tacoma/Everett/Bellingham people:
http://pskite.org/index.php

Thanks Wylieflyote!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

jetty island will be less than ideal for this weekend.
better bet would be to head over to double bluff on whidbey island.
more info on pskite. yeah it will probably rain, but hey it will be windy!
actually there are many times I've seen the rain hit everywhere but double bluff.

low tide at around 2:30 in the afternoon so it will be a huge beach to play at.

http://www.protides.com/washington/818/

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/marine_report.html

PZZ134-190100-
ADMIRALTY INLET-
859 AM PDT FRI APR 18 2014

TODAY...S WIND 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING 5 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.
TONIGHT...SE WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.

SAT...SE WIND 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING S 15 TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.

SAT NIGHT...S WIND 20 TO 25 KT...EASING TO 10 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 4 FT...SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SUN...S WIND 10 TO 15 KT...RISING TO 15 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.

SUN NIGHT...SE WIND 5 TO 15 KT...BECOMING S AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.

MON...N WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS.

TUE...SW WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Apr 18, 14 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

I will be up there for the Anime convention with my kids - I am taking kite gear. The PSkite thread says double bluff will be the spot. I have been to Golden Gardens before since it is one of the closest to downtown Seattle. Does that location work for the s/sw wind that is forecasted?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:
I have been to Golden Gardens before since it is one of the closest to downtown Seattle. Does that location work for the s/sw wind that is forecasted?

It is possible however it's not the best for southerlies. it is doable but there's not very good wind quality at the launch and you have to get out pretty good in order to get to better wind by that time if you cannot stay up wind, you'll be in a world of hurt.
I'd recommend a different spot on a south wind. go a little bit north to richmond beach and you'll have other kiters to launch you, a bigger beach, and much better experience. if you can swing taking some time to get to double bluff, it's worth it.
it can be a stretch with the ferries and traffic tho.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Apr 18, 14 3:30 pm    Tacoma Reply with quote

Are there any spots around Tacoma? Point Defiance park or Commencment Bay area?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 4:15 pm    Re: Tacoma Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
Are there any spots around Tacoma? Point Defiance park or Commencment Bay area?

Point Defiance, Never

Browns Point is the kite launch for the Tacoma Cartel. It works good on S & SW but IMHO the people up in the central Puget Sound and North Puget Sound have better odds than we do down here in Tacoma.
Another great spot in the S. Sound is Belfair State Park on Hood Canal. Grassy rigging, ponds, flats. If you see the Shelton Airport blowing, that is almost exactly what the water is doing at Belfair.
Check your Wind on the Water for winds and obviously the pressure gradients. Look for an AST-SEA, HOQUIM-SEA, PDX-SEA gradient. In the S Sound: "usually blows if there is a 2 millibar (.06") or greater westerly gradient between Bremerton and at least two to the following: Forks, Hoquiam, Astoria and Portland. Westerly winds blow in from the coast and excellerate as they make their way around the Olympic Mountains. West winds and southwest "clearing winds" are what you want to make the Purdy Spit work"
Browns:

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Apr 18, 14 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys! Looking at google maps - I can see how Richmond would be better than Golden Gardens. I was wondering about Purdy. Thanks for the info! The only thing I have been going on so far is just seeing if there is an ikite sensor there. I will most likely try to get to double bluff - but Richmond looks like a good plan B

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSat Apr 19, 14 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

just saw this post.

double fluff (DB) was great today. started out a little up and down but later in the afternoon the sun came out. 10m pretty much all day. hope you got out

pskite.org is definitely the place to ask questions about puget sound kiting.

cheers,
CJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: