Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite lines accident
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Apr 14, 14 9:25 pm    Preflight plan Reply with quote

I like the idea of the preflight plan with worst case scenario in mind...
I definitely agree with the fact that I messed up by not holding the kite strongly enough (in addition to being too deep in the wind window)...Watching the video, I also realized that I should also have been holding the kite closer to its center... I went too fast to the edge.

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostMon Apr 14, 14 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

Serge-
I was there when this happened. I was impressed with your response to Derrick when you repeatedly asked if he was okay, when obviously you took the brunt of the blow. Although it is important to evaluate this near miss event, it is probably more important and admirable to share it with others. I work in commercial construction where we share near misses at our construction sites on a weekly basis. It is said that for every accident, there are approximately 600 near miss events.....it is with this in mind that our efforts are focused in creating a culture of safety.

I echo the sentiments of those that have responded to your near miss event and encourage the entire kiting community to continue in this mindful approach to help get us back home safely.

Again, Thank you for sharing!
Sincerely, Kevin

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Apr 15, 14 5:06 am     Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. BTW, I like your profile picture on this site. Very relevant to this thread, except that I would revert the color scheme: red zone should be in green zone and vice-versa as red means "danger" traditionally, even if it then means that riding is taking place in the "danger" zone.

Looking forward to kiting with you again soon at Sauvie. This is a going to be great season Smile

Serge

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 15, 14 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

In the video it looks like the kiter put tension on the red steering line which then cause the kite to rip out of your hands.

I'm not saying the kiter did this intentionally, I would guess that the kite was not rigged correctly watching this video but you never know. Clearly there is tension on the red line from the moment it rips out of your hands until after it's second loop.

While it's true you weren't holding the kite well I think it would have been ripped out of most peoples hands once tension was put on that steering line.

zig zag 158

Since 16 Jul 2012
19 Posts
Vic BC Canada

PostWed Apr 16, 14 10:04 am     Reply with quote

why do people launch from the water with their kite towards land? isn't this common sense... I've seen people launch fine but then loose their footing and guess where they end up... dragged onto the land...

experienced kiters should be able to hold onto a kite and know where the best wind angle is... vice versa a kiter ready to launch should be able to line up their lines before launch so as the kite is picked up and rolled over you have time to tension the lines...

this video seems to show a lack of experience more than anything.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 10:29 am     Reply with quote

zig zag 158 wrote:
why do people launch from the water with their kite towards land? isn't this common sense... this video seems to show a lack of experience more than anything.

at just about every site the rider is either standing in the water or close to it. The goal is to get to water as fast as possible and minmize time on land with a kite at possibly at 12.00.

Thank you for posting this Serge, its always good to be reminded that shit can happen even to the most experienced folks

dusty_bottoms

Since 20 Sep 2012
48 Posts
Earth

PostWed Apr 16, 14 11:58 am     Reply with quote

All good feedback. Every launch other than a self launch is the responsibility of both the kiter and the launcher. I am not as interested in our mishap being analyzed to place blame as I am for it provide example for other kiters about what not to do.

Perhaps I should not have tried to launch from the water. We all launch from the water at the HR Event Site every day we ride there. I launch at Sauvies from the water 50 percent of the time as, depending on wind direction, the beach can be quite narrow.

The kite would ideally have been flipped over and carried to the edge of the wind window. However, in Serge's defense, he did not have time. The bar wrapped around the center lines just as Serge picked up the kite and big gust hit at the same time.

Glad we're both only slightly injured. It could have been much worse for both of us.

Kite on!

D

zig zag 158

Since 16 Jul 2012
19 Posts
Vic BC Canada

PostWed Apr 16, 14 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

If,"the goal is to get to the water as quickly as possible", then when the kite is set up to launch towards the water one would never have to get it near 12:00 while walking to the water! or am I wrong?

I've never launched set up towards land/trees/rocks...

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

You'd love the Stevenson launch! ! Its got all three
Last edited by jerp on Wed Apr 16, 14 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 16, 14 2:52 pm    water vs land launch Reply with quote

@ Zig Zag

I don't think there is a best launch solution for all locations. Often a wind shadow requires the kite holder to be as close to the water as possible, however given a choice I feel it is safer to have the kiter in/by the water and the holder on land.

Consider the following in the event something goes bad:
With the kiter in/by the water the kite will be slowly powering up as it is leaving the holder's hands, however it will be reaching maximum power once it crosses overhead (just think of jumping). So, if you're going to get yanked, you will either get yanked downwind, or into the water.

Usually a bad launch is caused by a line entanglement (fault of both launcher and launchee for not checking the lines thoroughly before launch). Sometimes bridles get entangled causing one of the lines to be shorter. I had this happen once while I was launching from the land side with my kite holder by the water. The kite shot up in the air, I turned the bar downward as much as possible but the kite still continued shooting upwards. Luckily I had the quick sense to pull on my outside line to force the kite back to my holder.

In hindsite, I don't know how I reacted so quickly, but after that episode I always launch my kite from the water and have my holder towards land when possible.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 16, 14 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

every one does what seems safest for themselves. Some towards the water, some towards the land, some change depending upon the launch itself.
Seems to me the best way is kite towards the water, keep it low and go. I always launch with one hand on the QR (after having checked to make sure it is not stuck) so if the kite starts to shoot up to fast I drop the bar and punch out NOW. No trying to save it or screwing around. So, very, very rarely it takes me an extra 3 minutes to re-load. No big deal and much safer for me and every one else at the launch.
Just another thought, another way that works for me.
But you have to ready to punch out whenever things start to look wrong when you are near land, shore, rocks, buildings, hard objects, whatever will really mess you up.
on the water is different…...

zig zag 158

Since 16 Jul 2012
19 Posts
Vic BC Canada

PostWed Apr 16, 14 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

I figure you should want something to work 100% of the time... best wind indicator is your kite.. line it up well with your lines set to the wind window angle then all you need to do is tension the lines! learn this by simply self launching & landing over and over again with a steady breeze...

launcher and launchie need to know these angles to about 15-20 degress to at least call yourself a competent kiter!

this video shows a simple safe launch that was set up wrong from the start!

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 19, 14 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Bottom line.. The launcher has a huge responsibility to control the kite until both people are comfortable. Almost any kite can be manhandled to the ground if the shit is going down. Many times I have let kite bend in half rather than release it.

If the launcher isn't up to controlling the kite, than why use one at all?

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 19, 14 2:03 pm    Pro Kite Launching Reply with quote

I've been considering this profession for when I'm too old to kite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-xh_iYXgx4

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSun Apr 20, 14 8:03 am     Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to this thread, and don't really have time to catch up. I watched the video. I have launched lots of people's kites in this same scenario. Dude in the water has no ability to relocate himself relative to the kite. He's swimming with a bunch of stuff strapped to him. While not the best choice on his part for launching method, it's not the worst either. The swimmer did leave his launch safety up to his launcher though, which is totally fine if you know and trust your launcher.

First, When I'm launching people like this the first thing I do is make sure that I lift the kite off the ground in a manner that keeps the lines slack. The minute those lines tighten, it becomes a wrestling match if the kite is deep in the wind window. Regardless of whether you accomplish getting it off the ground with or without slack in the lines, you can never let go of the kite. Don't pick the kite up off the ground if you're not completely prepared to go WWE on it. If it becomes a wrestling match, your goal as the launcher is to get slack into the lines as quick as possible. (This advice goes to the kiter as well, if you're launcher is fighting with the kite, run at him to put slack in the lines.) Keep a hold of that thing and drag it toward the kiter you're launching, you'll get control of it in just a few seconds.

Second, once you have the kite off the ground, lines slacked, you should be holding it from the center of the leading edge with the kite on it's back, easily controlling it. Next, you want to position yourself relative to the kiter so that the kite will just be slightly forward in the wind window, and then walk away from the kiter until the lines start to tighten up and the kite gets into launching position. You should start with the kite too far forward (basically kite lines perpendicular to the direction of the wind) and slowly walk down wind until the canopy stops fluttering. At this point you need to move the kite four or five feet downwind so that it's gently pushing against you, the kite will be wanting to fly upwind toward the edge of the window. Let me reiterate this because it's important: The kite should want to move gently forward, toward the edge of the window. Launching like this will instantly give the kiter steering control of the kite once they give you a thumbs up. Don't let go until they give you a clear thumbs up, this goes for the kiter as well, give your launcher a clear thumbs up or thumbs down.

I hope this helps, just remember that controlling the kite is about putting it in the best position relative to the launcher, prior to tightening the lines.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSun Apr 20, 14 8:41 am    @Forrest Reply with quote

Very nicely described step by step instructions on how to properly launch. I like it and I definitely learned this one the hard way last weekend Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: