Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Light Wind Kites
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 11, 14 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Windski- too big a gap from 10 to 17. You need more overlap. I have a 10 rally and 17 turbine. I'm 180# and like my 10 from 18-23mph. The turbine is a fricken beast. If I can fly the kite (7mph), I can stay upwind. At 10mph, I'm ripping around with nice little jumps, backrolls, whatever. At 12mph, I'm boosting big with no whitecaps still in sight. At 15mph+, I'm thinking of coming in to grab a different kite, like a 12. But when I jump at 15mph+, I feel like I'm going to the moon and back. But most importantly, the turbine relaunches with ease. The 14 rally is amazing as well and would be perfect bump up from a 10.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 11, 14 8:51 am    Re: Range Reply with quote

sromano1995 wrote:
Windski, I am actually thinking about the same thing.
Today, I have 10, 12 and now 15 LW (All Cabrinha: switchblades and contra)
I am actually thinking about selling my 12
I am 160lbs and my 10 works for me in 15mph+
For everything below 15mph, I plan to use my Contra 15m.
I see it this way:
Switchblade 10m: 13 - 25mph wind range
Contra 15 m: 7 - 15 mph wind range

Almost no range overlap but one less kite to carry Wink

I ride switchblades as well and I agree the kites have huge range. I have a 6,8,11,14 and in retrospect I have too many kites and could have been OK with 6/9/12.

slacker

Since 26 Apr 2008
32 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Apr 11, 14 9:35 am    Light wind kite Reply with quote

Stop by Big Winds in Hood River, They have the 17m Cabrinha Contra available for demo.

Great freeride/freestyle LW kite.

Here is a link to BW's blog:

http://bigwindsblog.com/2014/03/31/review-cabrinha-contra/

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostFri Apr 11, 14 9:39 am     Reply with quote

BigWinds also has a 2014 Naish Fly (15m) on sale. Would love to know how this compares to the other light wind kites. Looks like it would be a good complement to a 6,9,12 Park quiver.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 11, 14 11:23 am    Re: Range Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
in retrospect I have too many kites and ...

Question Question Question I don't understand? What could you possibly mean by that statement? Wink

Here's a couple of threads that should help:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-31780-0-asc-0.html
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-25827-0-asc-0.html

A couple of years ago I dismissed the need for a lightwind kite in the Gorge on a thread like this. After demoing a Turbine and then owning one, I have to say I was way wrong back then. A good lightwind kite can really increase your session count. I can now ride on days out with the family on the river. Drive all the way to the coast and find light winds, do you really want to just bag it and go home empty handed?

You need several things in a lightwind kite:
1. First and foremost you need to be able to ride in light winds. Obvious, huh? Part of that though is the ability of the kite to stay airborne in even lighter winds. 6 knot winds will have lulls down to 4 knots. A true lightwind kite needs to stay airborne in winds that light. It also needs to have a predictable, controlled, fall if the lull is low enough to drop the kite. If not, the kite will end up tangled, rendering re-launch impossible.

2. Relaunch. The kite needs to be able to relaunch in the lightest wind you might find yourself riding in. Lulls happen. If it doesn't relaunch, you won't like riding in light wind.

3. Upwind. If you can't stay upwind, you won't have fun with the kite in light winds. For a light wind kite to really add to your fun, you have to be able to ride upwind. The effective range of the kite isn't the wind speed you can simply ride in, but the wind speed you can go upwind in.

4. Range. The range of the kite should comfortably stretch to the biggest non-lightwind kite you have.

5. Speed. The kite needs to handle well enough that you'll enjoy riding with it. If it's ridiculously slow, you'll get tired of it quickly.

I've not tried the other kites mentioned here other than the Turbine, so I can only speak to that. I'll tell you that the Turbine meets all five of the above requirements admirably. I am not a little guy by any means, and I have yet to be sitting on the beach when anyone else could ride. On the contrary, I've had several vacations in Cancun where there were lot's of guys trying to ride--and couldn't--while I was the only kiter riding, cruising comfortably up and down the coastline. The Turbine's range stretches comfortably to my 12m Rally. I had it out one day when everyone else was on 10's and 8's. Absolutely I would have preferred my 10m hands down, but the only kite I had that day was the Turbine. The forecast high for the week had been 10mph, so that's all I brought.

If I can ride, I can relaunch it. In flat water, I've gone upwind with 4 or 5 knots of wind, but chop makes it harder and I need about 6 then.

OK, I exaggerated before. I will say there was one--ONE-- time in Kailua where another rider--a guy I knew--was riding when I couldn't. But I outweighed him by a hundred pounds.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 11, 14 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak

Was looking at going from my 10M to the turbine for the cost of having something between was $$$. Can not afford two kites this year, just one. Hard choices. I do have a directional and will be using it more on light wind 10m days.

So, 14m Rally or Turbine

Life is ruff, hard choices
Thanks everyone for your post

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostSat Apr 12, 14 1:23 am    Light wind board Reply with quote

Nak,

What would you advise on a light wind board?

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Apr 12, 14 9:43 am     Reply with quote

The Cloud 17 definitely got a lot of time on the water yesterday at Sauvie. Pretty interesting and different looking kite, minimalist but clearly gets the job done!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 12, 14 10:00 am     Reply with quote

surprised that the Fat Lady hasn’t been plugged on this tread yet..... seems to have a solid following and also got decent reviews.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 12, 14 10:32 am    Re: Light wind board Reply with quote

KCM wrote:
Nak,

What would you advise on a light wind board?

For twin tips I'm a huge fan of the old Glides. (I've not tried the new style.) It's a session saver. Smile I actually like 'em so much I have 3 of them. One in Hawaii, one at home and one stays in the boat. One big thing I like about the old ones is the length. The Glide fit's in my Deceiver travel bag--just barely. I leave the fins off of my glides. It doesn't really need them and it's more fun without them.

I don't have tons of experience with surfboards, but I really like my Dialer. Excellent board for learning and excellent light wind board as well.

I've not used a raceboard or a hydrofoil, but both of those are supposed to be outstanding in light wind.

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostSun Apr 13, 14 12:35 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak, I'll keep my eyes open for the older Glides....especially in Hawaii!
Thanks again.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

has anyone out there ridden the Cloud C2 14.5? or the 2014 Flite 17?

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 10:29 am     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:

I got my 17 M flight on Monday. I am hoping to try it out at the event site today after work.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 10:34 am     Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
jerp wrote:

I got my 17 M flight on Monday. I am hoping to try it out at the event site today after work.

Nice.... really curious to know how it handles. i might see if Windance can do a demo on it Smile

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 10:53 am     Reply with quote

I have been hounding Windance for a demo and they said they don't have one in their demo fleet. They said to check the Rufus demo day in June. They don't have the 17 in stock it has to be ordered. I even talked to Ocean Rodeo and couldn't get a demo arranged. They did say they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if you don't like it you can get your money back.

I had been waiting since February for the flight to become available from Amazon because it's like $250 cheaper from Amazon. I got mine for 1500.00 shipped next day air.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

will any bar with equal lenght lines work?

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 16, 14 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

Ocean rodeo lines are equal length however the flying lines have a pigtail, I don't recall how long it is, maybe 2 or 3 inches.

It will probably fly on most bars however what I think is more critical is will it depower if the safety is deployed. I think ocean rodeo bars have a long depower throw so this is something to consider. 2 of there bars use a Mini 5th line system to flag the kite. There other bar is set up with a stopper and near infinite depower as stated on ORs website. This mean if the stopper ball is removed the bar will travel all the way to the "Y". The Y is real far away.

I would guess any bar with mini 5th line and doesn't have a low Y connection would be OK. I would probably compare any non Ocean rodeo bar to an ocean rodeo bar or check with windance or Ocean rodeos forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: