Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bend Kiters - Wickiup on Tue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostMon Apr 07, 14 5:25 am    Bend Kiters - Wickiup on Tue? Reply with quote

New to the forum, but not new to the sport. Wondering if anyone in Bend is eyeing the Tue forecast for Wickiup Res? Warm, sunny and windy. Hoping to meet a few new people and not just be the only one on the lake.

My name is Mike and I'll be on the South shore somewhere hoping the water has dropped enough for a decent launch. get in touch if you want to try and meet up.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 07, 14 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

I like your enthusiasm... I've kited Wickiup a handful of times. It's best late spring, early Summer with NW winds. Kiting it too late in the year is difficult due to the tree stumps everywhere as the water level drops. I don't even know if it's accessible yet, let alone have a place to launch. I've kited there in June with water into the pine trees still. Had to self-launch off a tree with a 50ft rope- sketchy! I've kited SW winds at Crescent Lake from the north beaches which was nice- directly onshore. And for NW winds, I think you need a killer forecast to make the drive because the skunk factor is high. I'd say daytrip it to the gorge if you need a fix. Feel free to pm me in the future and I might just join you. Cheers!

mrdnd

Since 11 Feb 2011
33 Posts
Bend

PostMon Apr 07, 14 4:50 pm    wickiup Reply with quote

Hi there,
I live in Bend and have kited Wickiup a lot in the past. You should be fine on the beaches and the access right now. I can't go Tuesday but I love to kite and am looking for people to carpool to the ocean with, etc. -Mark

Snowkitesoldier

Since 14 Nov 2006
71 Posts
Hill City, ID

PostMon Apr 07, 14 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

I drove to Wickiup today. Looks pretty full. Not sure if I was at the right launch spot or not.... but no tree stumps that I could see. Looks like a kite adventure thwarted with lots of "oh no" moments. I live in Bend. If the wind is good, PM me. Always up for an adventure.
-Monty

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostMon Apr 07, 14 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I will PM for future possibilities. I'm certainly up for coast and gorge trips As time and family allow. And will be trying to kite all these damn lakes if I can.
Cheers, Mike

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostThu Apr 10, 14 11:23 am     Reply with quote

I moved to Bend last summer and kited Wickiup a few times. I think I went 3 for 4 out there, but maybe I just got lucky with the wind. Add me to the PM list if you guys are looking for partners - both for the lakes, as well as banzai missions to the gorge and coast.

-Aaron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: