Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

April 4 to the 20th SPI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostThu Mar 27, 14 11:01 am    April 4 to the 20th SPI Reply with quote

Does anybody have any information of cheap places to stay that are good kiting spots as well. I've been to SPI many years ago to windsurf, but never to kite.
Thanks

Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
67 Posts

PostThu Mar 27, 14 1:13 pm    spi places to stay Reply with quote

45 looks and no replies, so I guess I will. Do a search, much info has already been posted. I think Motel 6 is still the cheapest. Close to one kite spot at the lesson place and close to the local brew pub. I think that a new beach access has been developed on the bay side. Again, do a search on NWkite.

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Mar 27, 14 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

I've been super busy and haven't stopped in here in a few weeks and the first post I see is about SPI. Definitely do a search in the forum for more info as most of these questions have been answered sometime in the last two or three years.

Motel 6, La Quinta, Super 8 will be about the cheapest but there are a few others to check out like Casa Bella, Wind/Water and others.

Hopefully April turns out better than March, and February have been. Last good month here this winter was back in November. Really been crappy and unpredictable this year.

Tony

Vladiator

Since 06 Jun 2009
252 Posts
Napels FL
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 27, 14 3:34 pm    spi Reply with quote

wind / water is cheap and close to all the kite spots ! across from kellis irish pub wher all kiters hang out!

KiteDuck

Since 17 Aug 2009
57 Posts

PostThu Mar 27, 14 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

Just left SPI. The "new" kite spot is the SPI Kite Ranch at the North end of the road (where many already either started or ended a laguna downwinder). Still a super primitive spot. They have a packed "road" staked out, but unless you are in a SUV you are risking getting stuck in the first 50 feet of loose sand at the entry. We were in a Prius and one of the SPI Kite guys recommended hitting the loose sand with speed. Not willing to risk it. We walked in like we always had for a down winder. The staked road to their Palapa only gets you about a quarter mile from the beach. Then it takes 4x4 or a walk to get you any closer. Spot is cheaper than the North Flats if you can make it work and want to make that drive all the time. Plus it is away from pole boarders and buildings, so south winds are probably cleaner.

The North Flats raised their rates significantly (apparently due to the land owner's lawyers getting involved). Now they charge PER PERSON instead of per car and a higher rate at that. Shortest is a month ($20) or you can get a year for $30 per person.

Other than that your other options are ...
- Outlaw Flats - Still free (just to the north of North Flats), but it is very shallow for the first 200 yards. Not great for a beginner.
- North North Flats - Just a little beyond Outlaw.
- South Flats - At the convention center and free while we were there.
- The Gulf - Check at the Kite shops for approved launch/land sites so that you don't make a mistake that threatens access.

We ate the price increase and did the North Flats, in part because it gets deeper sooner for our less experienced kiters and in part to help support the wind sport association. We would do the Ranch too if they can get the first 50 feet packed and a road packed to the water (although I figure it turns into a mess if the high tides they were having return).

We were in a condo, so I don't have any help on hotel rates.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Mar 28, 14 5:51 am    Thank you all for the fresh info.. Reply with quote

I did search the past posts and read before I asked the question. Sorry to bother you Geezer, but the fresh info is the best.

I've been land locked living in New Mexico for since December, but it's not all bad. I've managed to ski at Taos a few times and mountain bike Ellena Gallegos on 60 to 70 deg. days. I've been biking so much that I wore out my front disk break and my rear hub bearings went bad. My bike is old, but damn if that wasn't amazing. I've lost 24 lbs. just biking.

The decision I'm trying to make, and this information helps, is whether to go to Maui for Spring Break or Road Trip to SPI.

I'm leaning towards SPI just because I'm thinking it would fun to do some fly fishing for Red fish and maybe kite some too.
Cheers

spikite

Since 08 Sep 2012
181 Posts
South Padre Island
Stoked

PostFri Mar 28, 14 7:12 am    SPI KITE RANCH Reply with quote

Info regarding the SPI Kite Ranch:

We have been working on the road to access the kite ranch and we will officially be open April 1st. Look for the flags six miles north of the convention center, just before the adventure park. The entrance has been smoothed out with an industrial grade sand bridge, so that even small rental cars can drive in. From then on, the hard packed road is staked alongside the natural dune for 1000 meters. Keep the stakes on your left at all times and then a 90 degree left towards the portopotty. Continue to keep the stakes on your left and park alongside the camper and ambulance. There is also a 4 x 4 road to the water that we can show you once you're out there. We are also using a Quad this Spring and shuttling our members and gear out to the water. The shade palapa is up and the solar shower is finished. The tiki bar is in the works, but we have plenty of coolers available at the SPI Kiteboarding shop at 5208 Padre Blvd. We also offer primitive camping and weekly bonfires. Come join the SPI Kite Crew for some fun this Spring! Cool

http://spikiteboarding.com

(956) 772-1098

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Mar 28, 14 8:20 am    Thank you very much! Reply with quote

That's sounds loverly!!

See you there.http://spikiteranch.com/

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 29, 14 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

the cool kids shred the S Flats (and bonfire party at the Ranch)

https://www.facebook.com/SPIsouthflats?ref=hl

Bahia Mar and The Tiki are condo units that have nice grounds and on the ocean and on N end of town close to flats kiting.

people don't often mention them but for 20 days it is nice to not be trapped in a hotel room. apartments with grass and pools and walking around areas etc.

Brett

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

Last edited by DownStream on Sun Mar 30, 14 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 29, 14 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

side note: we still have a little space in the PROKITE HOUSE for April 26-May 2 and May 3-9, and a lot of space for May 10-16

big house, big pool, a bunch of kiter friends, and your own PRO-KITE Host Marilys Samson to keep the action running.

clinics and lesson session discounts for participants

http://prokitesouthpadre.com/?page_id=1291

www.ProKiteLessons.com

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 29, 14 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

tonyb wrote:

Hopefully April turns out better than March, and February have been. Last good month here this winter was back in November. Really been crappy and unpredictable this year.

Tony

huh???

i think you need to escape the office a little more, I see at least a couple hours of good kiting everyday this month but 4.

this was probably the windiest and best march i have ever had.

IMG_8545.JPG 

www.ProKiteLessons.com

surfboy1968

Since 17 Jun 2008
217 Posts
south padre island
Stoked

PostSun Mar 30, 14 4:59 am     Reply with quote

Yeah March has been pretty damn good, little cooler than normal.....

and all the cool kiters shred at Butter Browns !!!!! Smile

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 30, 14 10:48 am     Reply with quote

surfboy1968 wrote:
Yeah March has been pretty damn good, little cooler than normal.....

and all the cool kiters shred at Butter Browns !!!!! Smile

actually that is true!

www.ProKiteLessons.com

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostMon Mar 31, 14 8:39 am     Reply with quote

I do need to get away from the computer more often! Mostly moaning because it wasn't shorty weather this March like it has been the past few years. Too many days below 55 degrees for me!

Tony

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 31, 14 9:10 am     Reply with quote

You won't get a lot of sympathy from the Great Wet North there Tony. Sure wish I was down there gettin after it with ya'll.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Apr 11, 14 3:53 am    Downwinders in SPI are awesome! Reply with quote

[img]
Parked at the Padre 2100 Gulf St. The beach was wide open and an easy launch. As I was launching the lifeguards asked me to keep an eye out for a 500lb Bull shark, yikes..

Kited the 4 miles or so to Clayton's Beach Club Bar and had a Corona and took a quick shower then hitchhiked back up for run 2 and 3.

Needed a bit more so I Rigged a 14 RPM and grabbed my 6-3 Tyrant and headed out again for Clayton's.

Super fun place to kite and I'll be back for sure.

I've been here 3 days and I've kited all 3 days so far. The North Flats are very learner friendly as they are 4 feet deep max. The main teaching area is passed the private area and I drove my 2 wheel drive car with ease on prepacked roads.

Fun trip for sure,

[/img] Very Happy

Snapshot 1 (4-11-2014 5-05 AM).png 
   CaptureSPI.PNG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: