Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

sled/kiting st helens
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 25, 14 8:02 am    sled/kiting st helens Reply with quote

brad rallies me into bailing work on monday and hitting st helens. sunny 60 degree weather when we arrived. only 60 mile driving effort from the couve. pulled the sled up for the first time to marblemount snow park and loaded a quiver and boards for the ascent. what was to be a quick ride up the road to the lahar approach was inevitably impassible due to lack of snow on the lower elevation. after what seemed hours through trees (and tree wells) we finally made the approach and hit open fields. couldn't navigate to plains of abraham, but were content with what we discovered on the west side of the lahar approach.
me, brad, gman(f@ck this guy has the most snowkites of anyone I know this year) pete and aaron had the snow fields to ourselves for the afternoon. wind was lighter as usual, but what an amazing experience to access the mountain. not sure if any of you would want to access this spot any other way.
some pics of the event

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostTue Mar 25, 14 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Nice pics of a unique kite spot. Glad you got the reward for making the effort. Springtime in the PNW was always my favorite time on the snow when I lived there.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 25, 14 8:33 am     Reply with quote

I have never seen St. Helens go through a whole winter with so little snow. If our weather keeps warming up we will be the new California with year round mild weather and California will become a desert.

dpow

Since 13 May 2011
83 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostTue Mar 25, 14 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

is this the side that you climb st helens from? (I am thinking the worm flows route)

A friend and I are planning on skinning up in april and I might bring the kites too just in case.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 26, 14 7:29 am     Reply with quote

geezus criminy sakes, I'm spending more time trying to embed this video than it took to edit Confused
here's a link to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i71c0Y35pE

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 26, 14 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Very cool! Thumb's Up

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 26, 14 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Ouch, looks like someone needs a snowmobile riding lesson on that video.

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Mar 26, 14 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

These shots are amazing!

dpow

Since 13 May 2011
83 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostMon Apr 07, 14 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

was it pretty easy to forecast? I have a climbing permit for sunday, and was thinking it might be fun to try some kiting on saturday. It will be self supported (no sleds).

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 02, 14 8:15 am     Reply with quote

hey guys, I spent last saturday up at plains of abraham for a nice mountain bike ride.
went right next to the area that looks stellar for snowkiting.
My suggestion, if you want to join us this winter start looking for a sled now before the season is upon us.
you should be able to find some good deals on sleds. yes you can probably access this spot by skinning, but it will take a half a day to get there.
anyhow kind of stoked to hit this spot when the snow comes.. Who's In?

to the left of this lahar is where we hit it last spring. plains of abraham to the far right of this image on the east side of the lahar. the muddy river canyon is most likely the best access to POA if there's enough snow coverage. forest road 83 at the trailhead is at 2300 ft while POA is approx 4500 ft. there wasn't enough snow coverage when we hit it last spring so we traversed through the smaller trees to the left on the west side.

this ridge is exactly where we rode!

mt rainier

the snow fields!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 02, 14 9:11 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
anyhow kind of stoked to hit this spot when the snow comes.. Who's In?

+1. Need to figure out how to mount a removable ski/board rack to the sled. (1998 Arctic Cat 700 triple, 136" x 2") Purely a no frills parking lot to the kite spot ride. Plenty of power but a little worried it's not long/deep enough to get into the goods. Jim do you, Brad, Forrest or Gene think that is enough sled to get into the Plains of Abraham? I don't really want to drop $5k on a sled that's only purpose is to get me to wind so hoping the old beast will suffice. Confused Thoughts?

Last edited by Sella on Thu Oct 02, 14 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 02, 14 10:46 am     Reply with quote

hey sella I can probably help you with a ski/board setup for your sled.
as for whether your sled can handle the terrain, I would say you could do it if we can access through the lava canyon/muddy river, but I'm thinking some of those ascents will be challenging. I haven't actually accessed POA by sled so don't know the terrain. most challenging hillside might be the ape canyon section. I'm just looking at google earth of the area. brad and aaron would know better about accessing this spot.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 02, 14 10:56 am     Reply with quote

I am ready!! I just fired my sled last weekend to make sure it would run.

Why didn't you bust out your sled stringy? Looks like there is same amount of snow on the ground that day I busted up my shin jumping downed trees...lol

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostThu Oct 02, 14 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Always count me in for any snowkite adventure Jim! Tried 3 times to get onto PoA but not enough snow on the road. But on the upside I've kited with Aaron and Brad on the south and west aspects. You did so great last spring for your very first sled trip! You'll kill it this year!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 02, 14 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

Woot, St. Helens also happens to be a great place to learn to ride a sled.

I just ordered some new parts, looking forward to the season!

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 02, 14 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Jim your photos look better than real life. How is that possible?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 02, 14 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
hey sella I can probably help you with a ski/board setup for your sled.

Gracias Stringy. I'll definitely bounce some ideas off you as Google gives up plenty of images to pull from.

After looking at your photos again tonight the potential of that area is just inspiring. Can't wait to become more familiar with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: