Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The best bar and why?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Oct 26, 13 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Not a big fan of the cleating system for the trimming the kite as it tends to stick and almost impossible to trim while in motion (I have to put the kite at 12. O'clock and fuss with it).

Nothing wrong with a cleated system in theory. The problem is a lot of bars come with a ring for the top where the line changes direction. The fix is to use a pulley instead of a ring, then the line moves like butter.
I like bars with urethane on the chicken loop line because it requires less maintenance.
I like bars that are light.
I like bars with soft grip (old ss bars) over stiff raised grip (newer ss bars/ f-one bar)
Depower throw really has to be matched to a kite, but for trying to use one bar with multiple kites, a sliding stopper is nice.
I prefer bars that have a flag out line for the front lines as opposed to a mini 5th line.
I prefer to have a smaller diameter bar (DaBest bar) over a larger diameter bar.
One of Hein's bars has always been on my wish list. Wink

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 08, 14 10:55 am    Technique: Below the Bar Cleat Reply with quote

Below the bar un-cleat & sheet can be done “by Braille”.

Drop shoulders back, hips forward, pull sheet line.

To release rope & cleat lock tension; drop your shoulders back away from the kite. Counter this by driving your pelvis forward. A.K.A. the “one pump hump”. This one motion will reduce sheet/cleat tension. Un-cleat and adjust to length. All three steps occur concurrently.

In addition; dropping chest & shoulders back is also the proper direction to counter balance overpowering kite (think teeter totter). Also the best posture for stomping (hard edging) the board.

Above the bar systems:
Avoid bending FORWARD at the waist in order to grope at above the bar systems. Especially in scary overpowered conditions this is counterproductive to the favorable counter balance of upper body leverage.

The above the bar cleat requires a bit of hand/eye attention than below the bar. Comforting (at first) to visual problem solvers I may not be best for kinesthetic learners. IMO; the more complex it is up above the bar increases the demand on hand eye coordination. Below the bar cleat can become a “blind” intuitive process without need to look.

Above the bar strap/webbing depower systems have a variable friction coefficient during their life span. Stiff working (when new), wet sand or zero line tension (pre-launch) demands more fiddle factor for adjustment.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 08, 14 11:26 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Below the bar cleat can become a “blind” intuitive process without need to look.

but with a chompstick it can be not only blind but fingerless (or bloody knuckles at least).
I know they are "workin' on it" and the new one looks better, but above is still my preference.
Also, bars should float.
My favorite would probably be ozone bar and center line, but with Slingshot lines and leaders. So far I can't be bothered to build it though.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 11, 14 9:35 am    How to depower slingshot compstick Reply with quote

Yikes!!! Okay so against my better judgement I am posting to this tangent of a thread that has deviated so far off subject it's ridiculous.

How to depower slingshot "below the bar" compsticks (no joke, this works):

1) While riding put kite at 12:00
2) With both hands fully sheet in bar (if you can do this one handed then even better)
3) Release 1 hand and place it on the depower line
4) Simultaneously pull the depower line while you are sheeting out with the other hand.

The action of sheeting out releases the pressure on the depower line making it much easier to pull.

kieran

Since 06 Jul 2011
45 Posts

PostFri Jul 11, 14 9:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm love Compsticks but don't love below the bar depower, so I modified mine to a race style depower. Just need the right cleat, works great.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 12, 14 11:41 am     Reply with quote

- Push away center QR release that is proven and tested to release under all loads.
- Quality CL material that will spring open and not get hung up on anything.
- A "closed" CL end that cannot snag on anything when open.
- Quality firm bar end floaters that won't allow a bar end wraps and last for the life of the bar.
- Above bar trim as I find the below bar trims a huge pain in the ass. No leverage. I like to just reach up and pull (that's what she said).
- ONE BAR FOR ALL KITE SIZES!! One that can safely, quickly and easily adjust. I have never understood kite companies who sell 3 different expensive bars for different sized kites. A total scam.
- Center, out of the way leash connection.
- Quality lines.
- A minimum of a one year warranty.
- Kook proof connectors.
- 5 lines:-).

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 14, 14 8:30 am    Kite Bars are specific to kite sizes Reply with quote

Not a scam but a performance option when you buy a SS kite.

Most small kites are on a small bar, say 18 inches for a 6mtr to an 8mtr. This is a good thing as the smaller kites are faster and if you have long bar you might make a mistake and over steer it.

I know my 12 meter RPM has runs on the same size bar as my 10mtr RPM, but my 14 has the bigger bar with longer lines.

The bigger bar is 22inches with 23 mtr. lines, I think. It allows for more power because of the length of the lines. The longer bar allows for more steering when doing downloops and turns.

I know some companies have extension bars with moving ends etc., but it seem like they have issues.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 14, 14 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Line tending bar-end bungees will just beak after sometime. Just tie off the lines to tend your lines. What I am most interested in is safety features - and the most important safety feature remains the "oh shit" handles. Give me "oh shit" handles that can save my life not bungees to tend my lines.

-A.K.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 14, 14 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

Sherman Is on the weekend and a kiter flying a Core with a compstick went though a routine to set the depower on the compstick before getting into the water based on wind/feedback from the kite... Certainly made my launch the kite and jump in the water routine look a little "simple" Wink

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 14, 14 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

A.K. wrote:
Line tending bar-end bungees will just beak after sometime. Just tie off the lines to tend your lines...

-A.K.

True - I already replaced the bungies once on my 2014 Cabrinha Bar.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 14, 14 2:23 pm    Airush Smartbar Reply with quote

I have 2 generations of Airush Smartbars. They both have little triangle pulls above the bar which I think can hang up on lines too easily if a drift launch goes bad. I should change them to some sort of stopper ball. Otherwise the bar is perfect. They have 2" sections with detents that can be removed to change from roughly 22"-18". I've undone these before at the coast when I need to pass them through lines after an inversion in waves. It truly is one bar for all kite sizes. My 2012 bar has a high Y but 2013 and newer have low Y for much easier self landing. The lines are color coded too

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 14, 14 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

There is one thing that I still don't understand and that is why/how any company can put ANY KIND OF CARABINER TYPE CLIP ON ANY BAR? Should not be. This type of clip can snag onto anything. For a while North was using the pinch lobster claw type of clip (you know what I mean and I am too lazy to send a picture). These seem so much better and smarter but even North has gone back to the carabiner...although they have this sleeve that goes over it. Not sure why. Seems like the pinch lobster claw all by itself is sufficient and less costly the carabiner with sleeve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: