Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The best bar and why?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 21, 13 8:10 pm    The best bar and why? Reply with quote

Just interested -

Who has the best bar and what features stand out? Surfing vs Freestyle??

I was having a discussion with a buddy and he was saying brand x was nice but did not offer the depower other manufacturer bars had... So what bar do you like the most??

Thanks,
Dwayne

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 22, 13 8:28 am     Reply with quote

I've always liked the Slingshot Compstick because of the below the bar trim on it and the simplicity. I think it's kind of taboo to do a brand vs. brand thread on NWKite, we try to keep it sort of civil on here but here's a link to the Compstick so you can see all the features on it and determine if that's something you might be into!

http://www.slingshotsports.com/kite/products/bars/2014-compstick-control-bar-sku-14382

Cheers!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Oct 22, 13 8:49 am     Reply with quote

K2 wrote:
I've always liked the Slingshot Compstick because of the below the bar trim on it and the simplicity. I think it's kind of taboo to do a brand vs. brand thread on NWKite, we try to keep it sort of civil on here but here's a link to the Compstick so you can see all the features on it and determine if that's something you might be into!

http://www.slingshotsports.com/kite/products/bars/2014-compstick-control-bar-sku-14382

Cheers!

I use these bars and it has been asked for before...how about some colored lines? Useful for many reasons, one being snowkiting.

Not a big fan of the cleating system for the trimming the kite as it tends to stick and almost impossible to trim while in motion (I have to put the kite at 12. O'clock and fuss with it). I would love some rubber bands on the ends of the bar so my lines don't come undone (costing me time on the water). I used the rubber bands I take off my store purchased broccoli crowns...

It still is a functional system.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 22, 13 9:33 am     Reply with quote

I'm really interested in understand the various features that are desirable for the various riding styles.

Thanks!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Oct 22, 13 10:34 am     Reply with quote

There is no "best" bar, just like there is no best kite, best board, etc. What you need to figure out is what is best for you. Other peoples opinions can be helfpul, but usually, not so much. Try what you think you might like, and determine if you like it for what you like to do. I find that what others like at locations that I kite, don't really translate to what I like to do.

For example, a few years ago, when the Rev first came out, a bunch of people on this forum were singing the praises of these incredible kites. After a few used ones came on the market, I bought one, and gave it a try. Although it worked fine in the side on conditions we get here in SoCal, it was shit in side-off in Baja. I sold it for the same price I bought it for, no loss on my part, and some great first hand knowledge gained.

Maybe this kite was great for others, and what they liked to do, but not for me. YMMV.

Last edited by Pete on Tue Oct 22, 13 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Oct 22, 13 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
There is no "best" bar, just like there is no best kite, best board, etc. What you need to figure out is what is best for you

As Pete called it - there is no best bar for everyone. Just depends on your personal preferences.

I like the F one bar because it has a short throw. However, if you got some long arms you may want a bar with as much throw as possible.

I also prefer colored lines. And rubber bands on the end. Simple stuff that makes your life easier.

Different bars have different types of grips - you may want to go to a store and just get a feel for what type of grip you prefer.

As far as above-the-bar vs. below-the-bar depower - its important - but one is not better than the other. Some people like the below the bar depower better because they can reach it easier. (which by the way - is one of the reasons why I like the F one bars - short throw means you can reach the depower straps easier).

But the below the bar depower that I have tried (Revs) pulling in the trim when the trim is completely out can be a bit tough. Above the bar depower really doesn't take hardly any effort to change (assuming you can reach it).

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 22, 13 11:54 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

Not a big fan of the cleating system for the trimming the kite as it tends to stick and almost impossible to trim while in motion (I have to put the kite at 12. O'clock and fuss with it). I would love some rubber bands on the ends of the bar so my lines don't come undone (costing me time on the water). I used the rubber bands I take off my store purchased broccoli crowns...

As far as the trim sticking there is a pretty nice fix for the trim sticking. I'll post a thread pretty soon on how to mod the bar. Should work for any below the bar system but I'll do the thread on a Slingy Compstick bar.

For now, proper technique helps. It's important to pull the trim line straight back and not to the side at all. The position of the trim kind of encourages you to pull it a bit sideways, even if you don't realize you're doing that. Any sideways force at all and the cleat doesn't want to let go. Pull completely parallel to the center lines; the line will release out of the cleat far easier. You have to really make a conscious effort to pull it straight, otherwise you'll almost certainly pull at an angle because of the position. Your hand wants to pull a bit sideways, because in that position you can apply more force to the line. But the force required to get the cleat to release increases faster than force available increases. Once the cleat releases you can then pull at an angle to increase your pull available.

As far as the rubber bands, just end your line wraps with a couple of half hitches. More secure than an elastic band and simpler too.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 22, 13 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

If nwkite doesn't allow it, where can we get some brand vs brand user feedback?

not faux articles written by the brands, but by real users? that's what I want to read.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Oct 22, 13 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:

not faux articles written by the brands, but by real users? that's what I want to read.

Go to kiteforum.com, but the problem there is that it seems that most of the users are pimping whatever product they are sponsored by.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 22, 13 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
ShiverMeTimbers wrote:

Go to kiteforum.com, but the problem there is that it seems that most of the users are pimping whatever product they are sponsored by.

exactly the problem I'm trying to avoid.

Hey mods, how about making a new section where people can review and contrast all products? Discourage the brands from posting, but they can defend/explain their product. Just a thought. There is so much equipment floating around and its really tough to get a straight answer on what's what. Isn't that what forums are for? Discussion?

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 22, 13 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

well, tabooo or not,
slingshot bars are bomber.
but I hate below the bar.
and the swivel they have is huge heavy and silly even though it often works.
The bars are bomber, have a long throw and have OSH handles
And are compatible to be DIY rigged to a 5th line. All good!
I don't rig a 5th any more, but when I used to ride around with an ornery, overpowered fuel kite, it was great to know I could kill it with the 5th line.
And if I had to jettision the fifth from a wrap, I had three other leash options in single front and 2 OSH's. That rarely happened though.
Still like above the bar better! Confused

Ozone bars are nice with a more comfortable grip good safety and above the bar cleat, below bar swivel which is lightweight and foolproof =better!!!
Also the colored lines are nice especially if you ever get on white sand or snow.
But the finger grip bumps on the ozone bar can really hurt your hands if your grip isn't just right, make a pressure point on a nerve in my hand. The rest of the time the bar is comfy. They also have nice elastic bands on the ends to help organize lines, at least until they break after a year or two. And no stopper, boo.
So ozone ain't perfect either....

And another thing, although they are all white and no fun untangling on white beaches, the slingshot lines are the strongest compared to any others I have used, you can feel the difference in crisp response to steering. High quality and strong may outweigh colors....

A friend got a replacement bar from Liquid force a few years ago, it kinda sucked.
The cleat was a chromed knock-off, not a real UK clamcleat -more of a China-shrimp-cleat. After a few sessions, he took it out powered, and to his dismay could not pull any depower because the cleat's teeth had bitten into the depower line too hard. We tried and tried to pull it out. should have used some vise-grips. I think he binned it, or threw it to the back of the garage, but it was only $200, so whatever. Also the flying lines weren't as strong....

Those are the highlights of my kite bar experiences,,

Anyway, bars ya can't live with em, ya can't kite without em.
at least they no longer come with wrist leashes!
And they cost too much, even if your life may depend on them.

15m Fuel on a wrist leash,
yeah that was what convinced me to try a 5 line set up
those were the days....

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostTue Oct 22, 13 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Airush Smartbar is da shit! You can use one smartbar for all kite sizes pretty rad and makes more affordable! all around awesome bar! Twisted Evil

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 22, 13 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

...It's important to pull the trim line straight back and not to the side at all. The position of the trim kind of encourages you to pull it a bit sideways, even if you don't realize you're doing that. Any sideways force at all and the cleat doesn't want to let go. Pull completely parallel to the center lines; the line will release out of the cleat far easier. You have to really make a conscious effort to pull it straight, otherwise you'll almost certainly pull at an angle because of the position. Your hand wants to pull a bit sideways, because in that position you can apply more force to the line. But the force required to get the cleat to release increases faster than force available increases. Once the cleat releases you can then pull at an angle to increase your pull available.,,,.

The trim line locking in the cleat is the biggest negative I hear about below the bar trim adjustment. Slingshot would be wise to include this or similar in their bar manual. It is also a good point of sale discussion between the salesman and the customer. It establishes expertise, builds trust and increases repeat business.

I like my old 2007/2008 Best bars, but it is mostly due to familiarity rather than by comparison to other bars.

I just finished what i think is my last (I have said last before) iteration of a very simple below the bar adjustment set up that just uses a prussic knot for changing the trim. It is just an exploration in simplicity with out sacrificing functionality.

I have noticed kite surfers riding with bars using no trim adjustment set up. They just have a bit more throw and carry multiple bars with different line lengths to help compensate for different conditions. Riding bars like these probably come with a different set of challenges to consider.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 22, 13 6:35 pm     Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the BWS bar?

It's always looked like such a streamlined simple comfortable bar, but I've never flown it. And since Ben came from SS, I figure he probably took the things he liked most about the Compstick, but then tailored it for a smaller audience.

It has to be tough for a company to make a bar that is idiot proof for a newbie, without having too much to get in the way for a Pro. You probably noticed that Ruben had his own Fuel bar when he was with SS...probably for that K.I.S.S. reasoning...

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 22, 13 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all and sorry to break "taboo" if only a little. The original discussion started because my big kite is a Cloud 17M and another Cloud may be an option. Since it does not come with a bar, I have been using brand x bar... Thats when I got into a discussion about bars in general and whether another brand was appropriate/greater depower than the bar I currently use.

I just want to better understand what others look for. Whats right for me? Current bar seems to be working well - The Cloud flags out beautifully on a single line so I certainly like that. I'm interested if specific bars have greater depower range than others.

The two brick stores I have been to have a choice of two bars all nicely wrapped in plastic and not available for review. Same old story, the kites/bars a store sells are obviously the "best" so its tough to get "hands on" feedback.

Dwayne

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 22, 13 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:
Thanks all and sorry to break "taboo" if only a little. The original discussion started because my big kite is a Cloud 17M and another Cloud may be an option. Since it does not come with a bar, I have been using brand x bar... Thats when I got into a discussion about bars in general and whether another brand was appropriate/greater depower than the bar I currently use.

Stringy has a cloud and can probably give you some insight into which bar would work best for your needs.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 22, 13 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

well i have a 17m cloud too and it likes both the ozone and slingshot bars.
Currently fly the 17m on the ozone bar with 25m lines, great setup in the light winds.

With 20m lines in 12+kts, that cloud turns ridiculously fast for a 17 and is fun, but take care or you may put a wingtip in the water.
But for the usual cloud 8-12 knot days, long lines are the call.
A long slingy bar from a big rpm or something, with the 27m lines would be great also.

Probably any single front line flagging bar can work for clouds, as they don't require as long a throw as some kites, just make sure it lets you get your stance dialed, and the more you ride waves, the more throw you may appreciate..... Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: