Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newport Today (Thursday)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostThu Jun 23, 05 6:59 am    Newport Today (Thursday) Reply with quote

Forecast is looking extremely good for Newport today. My partner in crime bailed on me, so if anyone needs a ride from SW PDX, let me know. I'll probably be heading out around 9 or 9:30am. Anyone else playing hooky today? The surfing is great near the jetty, and kiteable wind starts by early to mid-afternoon. Typically it goes one or two kite sizes smaller for the last hour or so before sunset. Since we're just past the longest day of the year, there should be many hours of fun to be had.

Spencer
GorgeKiteboarder@Yahoo.com
503-297-6986

NWS Forecast:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/get.php?wfo=pqr&pil=cwf&sid=pqr

NWWeather Forecast:
http://www.nwweather.com/5day.php

Newport Jetty Data:
http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov//station_page.php?station=NWPO3

Newport Bouy Data:
http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46050

PostThu Jun 23, 05 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Do you ride these waves on your skim?

PostFri Jun 24, 05 7:54 am     Reply with quote

SpEnCeR

i HaVe YOur kITe iF yOU wANt tO SeE It ALivE YoU MuST MEet mE @
(1/27)^(-1/3) 4.828 x 10^5 cm arroyo

AIrIc

PostFri Jun 24, 05 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Great day at Newport yesterday. Not epic, but still pretty fun. I didn't get there until about noon, and the wind was already 7m for a kiteskimmer like me, and 9m for most others. It only increased slightly throughtout the afternoon. Wind was a little bit holey in comparison to a typical Newport day, but not as gusty as a typical gorge day. The jetty data shows a solid 20-30 all afternoon, which is very accurate. Looks like the forecasters nailed it. The swell was definitely on the small side. Roughly shoulder high sets coming through down near the campground, and smaller up near the jetty. I think I saw a total of about 8 kiters out, and maybe 4 or 5 windsurfers.

Spencer

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostSat Jun 25, 05 5:41 am    Thanks for the report Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Spencer. I woulda' been tempted to go with you on Thursday if I'd seen your post in the a.m. I'm thinking it would be really fun to either rent a big house on the coast for a bunch of kiters (drag Fitzsimmons, and all the usual gorge suspects) or just get reserve a camping area some weekend this summer. Let me know if there's interest and I'll work on it. Maybe it would be cool to just reserve a section of Barview park just north of Garibaldi with an invite to kiters on this site. It would be cool to meet a bunch of posters from this site.

The downwinder from Manhattan Beach (just south of Nehalem Bay) to Barview is a lot of fun. There's also the option of a downwinder all the way from Manzanita...except we'd have to cross the Nehalem bar. I did that last year, but I've learned it's helpful (for the health of a relationship) to tell your girlfriend were you're going. Suffice it to say, I went a little farther south than expected.

Jim

PostSat Jun 25, 05 10:10 am     Reply with quote

The campground at South Beach Newport is the ideal camping spot. I think they even have some yurts available there. I'm hoping to get quite a few more days at the newport jetty this summer, and also hope to do a few downwinders from Astoria to Sunset beach. Jim, I'll try calling you on your cell phone the next time that I'm headed out.

Spencer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: