Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dana Miller Essay - POV from a windsurfer.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wytcap

Since 10 Mar 2005
203 Posts
NW oregon
Stoked

PostFri Jun 14, 13 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

Thats a sweet shot!

Dan k

Since 31 Mar 2013
87 Posts

PostFri Jun 14, 13 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

What some antique old pole dancer is butt hurt because kiting is more fun and cooler than pole boarding?

Procktor

Since 11 Apr 2013
46 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Jun 14, 13 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

Dan k wrote:
What some antique old pole dancer is butt hurt because kiting is more fun and cooler than pole boarding?

Just like the skiers who hate on snowboarding!!!! If they had half a clue they'd start snowboarding.

''If Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead.'''

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostFri Jun 14, 13 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

It looks like the kiter has the right line on that wave and the windsurfer is moving in too late, but the kiter's got him factored. Imagine the outrage if a kiter was doing that to a windsurfer.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostSat Jun 15, 13 7:47 am     Reply with quote

I'm not sure everyone who posted actually read the article. He seems to me to be saying 'let's find a way to get along'. Nothing he said about kiting seems inaccurate, to me. Kiting is easier to learn, it's more dangerous to the user and those around them, requires more space, and there is a lot of attitude in the kiting community (like in anything).

Having said that, I love kiting, and the community. I also windsurf and surf. Comparing kiting and windsurfing, I don't think is like comparing those other sports. There is very little danger in snowboarding and skiing together, etc., but the danger arises when there is a beginner, or asshole, of one group making things hazardous for the others. Inherently, kiting waves around windsurfers, or other water users, has a risk. It's there despite some not wanting to admit it.

Other than any risk combining the two in one limited spot, all the other crap is background noise, i.e., who has been there longer, locals vs. tourists, strapless vs. strapped, twin vs. surfboard, who carves harder/ dangles higher, and on and on. In order to get along, I agree with the article, we need to work together to define some guidelines to follow, and respect windsurfers right to feeling safe. If that means going down the beach, well then that's the way it is for now. Like any activity, there is a pecking order, and we're at the bottom.

Eventually things will fall into their natural state, and on windy, wavy days, kiting will slide up the scale, evolution will occur, as some new activity comes along and an older one dies off. I don't think that will be windsurfing, though. It's too good. We need some rules or there will be anarchy out there.

I've met Dana Miller, many years ago, and he was very kind and supportive of my friend, who was perhaps kiting in a less than ideal location...but who knew! A little humility, and being open to learning goes a long way.

Anyway... have a great day on the water.

George

ps actually locals do get the mulligan.

Dan k

Since 31 Mar 2013
87 Posts

PostSat Jun 15, 13 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Windstoked wrote:
It looks like the kiter has the right line on that wave and the windsurfer is moving in too late, but the kiter's got him factored. Imagine the outrage if a kiter was doing that to a windsurfer.

Yep that pole dancer looks like he snaked the kiter. Probably thinks he owns all those waves. If a kiter did that better not fall or they'd try to run his ass over.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Jun 15, 13 8:30 am     Reply with quote

LOL, well said!

Westside barge slayer wrote:
SimPistol wrote:
I highly doubt many people have agonized over which sport to pick, and after hours of research and self-reflection decided to go with kiting because it's "easier". I drink beer with my right hand because it's "easier", I kite because it's fucking rad. Either way...I'm drunk.

Nailed it. By far the most profound statement I've read on here in weeks.

Dan k

Since 31 Mar 2013
87 Posts

PostSat Jun 15, 13 8:35 am     Reply with quote

george wrote:
There is very little danger in snowboarding and skiing together, etc.

True but procktor is right, it's like the old skiers who hate snowboarding because they can't do it..... A lot of skiers will tell you how every time they fall its always some snowboarders fault.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostMon Jun 17, 13 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
share the love Thumb's Up

(Were going to try again to evolve another method in the parking lot this year without the cops) Very Happy
Let the van speaketh

RollingSadu.jpg 

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Jun 17, 13 8:57 pm    Simmer!!!!! Reply with quote

I loved my Simmer sails back in the day Exclamation

Loved getten the goods at Pistol as well Very Happy

jaylonious

Since 21 Sep 2008
1 Posts

PostMon Jun 17, 13 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

I was planning to hit pistol river this august. It's always been on my list. Bummed to hear Dana say there's some anti kite mojo going on there. Is that for real? I've never heard anyone mention that before.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 17, 13 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

Who gives a shit about the rumor mill. Roll in have fun respect the others on the water , share the stoke and tell everyone who disagrees with you to ARGO:-)!! Have fun down South:-)!!

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostTue Jun 18, 13 7:34 am     Reply with quote

South Coast is super chill...no worries....its all just talk...
the bill of rights has been up on the blog for over a year....we've had a good time with it Very Happy
tempers only flare here over douche-baggery and not so much k vs. ws

The only time it comes up is on a busy day with big wind and big waves and the energy level is high in general. No matter the craft....shit is going to go down. When there is friction its easy to draw the line between the two using gear differences and the tribe mentality sets-in..... when really its just a matter of respect and courtesy out there.

We're lucky to have Dana down here. He defines what it means to have passion about something. He's been catching it for a long time....the stoke is beyond beyond.

We just got done with 14 days straight with great swell and nuking winds...everybody is licking their wounds and gearing up for some more
if people ever get the time to hit this area...do it...be happy to point you in the right direction. Very limited flat water down here...so you have to be ready for ocean riding...lots of space to leave the crowds behind.

Here's a video entry by Luke Orton for this past Triple S contest. Rad. The first part was shot at The Rock at Pistol. Typical summer conditions.

Shred it people Cool

DerikThin

Since 20 Jun 2016
1 Posts

PostMon Jun 20, 16 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I came across Dana's article while trying to research another article he wrote recently about "land surfing". Then I fell into this rabbit hole of a link haha.

Going to touch on 2 things.

I must be an anomaly of the winter sports world. I learned how to ski first, back in the early 90's and then, like most kids, went to snowboarding. It was not until two years ago when my son just turned 4 that I decided to switch back to skiing. I am fully aware that a lot of children learn how to snowboard from their snowboarding parents, however it did not seem like a boat-load of fun for me so I figured the best route for us was to get him at least onto the snow and when he finally gets interested enough in snowboarding he can ask and we can go from there.
He is now my most favorite ski buddy ever and he has a "wicked" blast. That is the ultimate goal for us all. All we are all trying to do is have a blast and if we're lucky enough pass it onto our kids.
Since teaching my son how to ski and also since switching back myself I will NEVER (well not ever but you get the idea) go back to snow boarding. I loved doing it back in the day but being able to skate the flat's and tow my young-in behind me so he can conserve energy is too much fun. I also love that my feet and my legs can last the whole day without ever feeling too worn out at the end of the day (I also realize somewhat this is maybe gear related). I love not having to strap in. I love facing forward. I am in love with it and the winter!

Now flash forward to the actual topic---

Every winter ends and I get bummed because I despise the summer, so I decided I'd pick something up that would let me enjoy it more, or at least until the snow comes back.

I just, this spring, chose to embark into the wonderful land of Windsurfing. My friend kite-boards, and it look's fun it just didn't give me an itch. I know you guys can jump higher, stay up longer and from what I understand even go faster, which is all cool with me, it's not a competition.

I chose windsurfing this year because I sailed a lot as a kid and it also seems to have a lot of versatility. Doing tricks never really entered into my mind. Also, even though many classify kite-surfing as "easier" it seemed to be a lot more dangerous and something (at least in the beginning) that requires at least two people to launch the kite. I also liked the idea of being maybe a little more sea-worth, in respects to self rescue, god forbid something happened. Your boards seem a little smaller and if the leading edge of the kite deflates or something you might have a lot more "in" water time. Not really a deal breaker but something I thought about.

If the wind is light, with windsurfing I can bust out a larger sail and my long board and tool around. Or a smaller sail and the long board and practice my sail handling skills and maneuvering. Worse comes to worse I use my long board as a SUP and tool around a little. I can even hitch a larger short-board behind me and tow my kid's. When I get good enough he can even ride on the board with me. Really what it came down to was "is that something that I can easily involve my sons in while also making me happy and love summer", the answer thus far has been a most emphatic yes!

THE DIVIDE

When choosing windsurfing I never even THOUGHT about my best friend and I not being able to enjoy the wind together. It was not until recently that the divide between our beloved sports has become apparent. We had thought about going down to Hatteras next spring together, and then I read that Kiters are relegated to "the back of the bus".

I currently look at our chosen sports like a sports team, I can rib my friend about his massive ugly kite and he can rib me about the amount of space my gear takes up or rigging and we can both chuckle and not take it to heart because we're both having fun.

From a lot of the comments you all seem to have as much love for your windsurfing friends as we windsurfers have for our Kiter friends. Ultimately what we all want is more access to areas that allow us to rig up and enjoy the wind and water and maybe all share a beer together after a solid day of getting windy and wet.

The biggest problems we all face are A$$holes. It's a problem as old as time, some people just suck. Some of those people chose kiting and some of those people chose windsurfing. We'd all be better to just unite together and weed out the A-holes in both our sports.

So here's to more access for us "Windys" and less access for the A$$holes to water.... and oxygen.... or at least the ability to procreate =/.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 20, 16 11:17 am    Oh come on Reply with quote

Kiting vs windsurfing. Snowboarder vs skiers Hikers vs mt bikers and of course my favorite inner tubers vs water skiers. Don't we all better things to do with our time?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 20, 16 12:07 pm    Stoke is Stoke Reply with quote

Enjoy yourself

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 20, 16 12:23 pm    Re: Oh come on Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Kiting vs windsurfing. Snowboarder vs skiers Hikers vs mt bikers and of course my favorite inner tubers vs water skiers. Don't we all better things to do with our time?

There will always be conflicts...

Newest one I can think of is the new super fat tire mt. bikes messing up the cross country skiers' corduroy and laid out tracks.

Just try not to be a Richard Noggin...aka Dickhead whatever context/situation you're in UNLESS that other person is really asking for it. We are all just trying/having a little or a lot of fun out there.

"Respect gets Respect".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: