Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

jump timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostTue Jun 21, 05 3:40 pm    jump timing Reply with quote

having some timing issues and looking for opinions.......I am swinging too far under the kite it seems from losing my edge on takeoff...is it better to be working as far upwind as you can pre-jump.....or to fall off the wind some and hook up wind as you send the kite? In calm conditions I have no problems..its when I am powered up or have a fair amount of speed.....tired of landing on my back....running out of advil...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 21, 05 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

I'm no expert but...

I say hold a consistent line that's slightly upwind before you initiate. Try to tack to hard upwind and you losse speed, too far off the wind and you loose pop.

If you're plopping down with the kite behind you, it means you need more pull on your forward hand sooner. Beware of pulling the whole bar down and over sheeting the kite. To help with this, let go with your back hand.

Also, just as you send the kite, crouch down in a squat so that you can release your edge and spring just as the kite starts to pull. Then as soon as you leave the water, start applying pressure to the forward hand.

Here, I 23-skadooed you this little instructional.

Basic Jump.JPG 

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostTue Jun 21, 05 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Andy, I'm no expert either, I too got frustrated (and still do) at times. Some days I just give up on "going big" and work on the basics like windslithers spot on tutorial.

One thing that I found to help me get better at edging for jumps was to do "no whip" pops.

Kite parked at 45-50 degrees or so, bear off downwind for a quick second, bend your knees and turn upwind loading the rail. Do that "swerve" a bunch and gradually increase the loading up, don't even worry about getting air, don't move the kite. Just get the feel and the timing down.

Then when you got that dialed start edging upwind harder and springing up when the kite is max loaded up. Soon you will doing nice little pops (plus you'll have opened the door to wake style moves if you care). Refine the "swerve" into a quick carving motion.

Now add this to a jump. Rather than trying to hold on and waiting for the moment when everything is right, when you are comfy and powered up ready to jump, get your kite up around 10-11 o'clock, forget about edging. Spot your ramp or smooth water launching pad, bear off a little, send the kite while you turn sharply upwind loading up as best you can, and spring as the kite rips you off the water. Getting the timing down when you send it while you swerve is the tricky part, it depends on the kite

I find doing this with a regular jump is a lot better for me, I used to try to hold on looking for smooth water or the perfect ramp, trying to hold the edge and keep it together, but most of the time would loose it or get a crappy jump.

Check the roost in this pic of my buddy Jon as he's leaving the water, he's not just edging, he's crankin it upwind. And he get's better air than anybody in B'ham

PostWed Jun 22, 05 6:10 am     Reply with quote

Start riding with a smaller kite and some rear line tension.

It's a kite; not a flag - it's supposed to catch some wind.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 22, 05 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Good advice... love the diagram Slither!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 22, 05 8:10 am     Reply with quote

All the tips you could want and more for free @ kitefilm.com!!

Arrow http://kitefilm.com/eng/weeklytrick.asp

See Jumping part I & II for starters...

PS Nice diagram Slither!! Cool

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 22, 05 8:34 am     Reply with quote

That pic of Jon in Bham is GALOPTIC Exclamation

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostWed Jun 22, 05 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Another one of Jon, biting it this time

More pics from that day here, he finished off his Jaime Pro that day:
http://nwwind.net/pics/view_album.php?set_albumName=Camp-Kirby-Mar-12-2005

coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostWed Jun 22, 05 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Start riding with a smaller kite and some rear line tension.

It's a kite; not a flag - it's supposed to catch some wind.

have a 17 and a 12 right now and I do tend to fly the 17 till its too much,often sheeted and baged out on the front lines...will solve that problem...more tension and use the board more...thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: