Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

WWYD Destruction of an RPM
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 12, 12 7:15 pm    WWYD Destruction of an RPM Reply with quote

A winter point to ponder. A week ago Sunday I destroyed My 2011 12m Rpm in some big waves between Sunset beach and Shipwreck at Fort Stevens. It washed up in three pieces Probably an hour later.
I edited out about five minutes of swimming and Body-surfing back to shore.
I've never been pulled that hard even by a competition ski boat.
I had the camera on top of my head. So think, when the camera is underwater so is my face.
I've thought of a few things I could have done differently to probably save my kite.
I thought it might be fun to get other opinions on the "Right things to do." Have fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA8_jXlYSf0&list=HL1352776263&feature=mh_lolz

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 12, 12 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

In that size surf, you might consider ditching the kite entirely and going for a swim/bodysurf. Probably should consider how far out you are and your confidence in your swimming abilities first, but that option would likely be easier on the kite and would also remove the risk of you getting tossed and getting tangled in your lines. If you have a surfboard, you could also just paddle in (not as easy with boots!) I haven't yet found myself in this situation, so this is pure conjecture-anyone else have other ideas/thoughts?

Glad you posted this, it's something I've worried about more recently, now that there's real surf!

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 12, 12 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

You might also consider getting a surfboard, boots in the surf?
Last edited by Lurk on Mon Nov 12, 12 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Nov 12, 12 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

First, never hang onto the bar and let the kite get hit by a wave and drag your ass!

Second, junk the twintip and boots when in the surf and start riding the right equipment for the terrain. There is a reason they call it a "surfboard"!

Lastly, you are lucky the wavezone pushed you back to shore. If you were at a different part of the beach with a rip current pulling out, then your destroyed kite would be the least of your worries.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

BKA

Since 19 May 2011
43 Posts
Harrison

PostMon Nov 12, 12 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

glad u made it back safe

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Nov 12, 12 11:17 pm     Reply with quote

Good you made it!
I've been in that situation many times, but that was in Cabarete where I had shorts and could push it more. Usually a kiter (there are many of them) would drag me to shore and I would find my kite on the beach downwind. Here in the Pacific I am more conservative. Yeah, the rule is you got to get rid of the kite asap to save it, but I have to say I haven't practiced that very well.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Nov 12, 12 11:49 pm     Reply with quote

Overall you are one lucky dude and it is good to know this video wont go viral for a really bummer reason.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 13, 12 12:07 am    Mostly I agree Reply with quote

I like riding boots. I don't think you are required to use a surfboard in the surf. though I have thought about a surfboard. But, after analyzing the situation and thinking about how I would do it different next time. I think I would've let the first wave hit my kite while trying to get it to relaunch. If the kite still wasn't past 45 degrees getting perpendicular to the wave I would release my leash but let the wave hit it again while trying to relaunch. I would continue to try for a relaunch until just before the next wave came the i'd pull the chicken loop release. There is more that I feel I did wrong. But lets here some more ideas.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 13, 12 12:10 am     Reply with quote

When mowing over a wave and or white water one should always have their kite flying high and in an accending direction--it drastically reduces crashes such as yours and aids your movement over a wave and creates predictability of where and how the kite is flying. Just because one can get out and ride in big surf doesn't mean one should. Perhaps next time you should ride closer to shore in the reform.

Ever heard the poker phase: "Pigs eat well, Hogs get slaughtered."

And I agree with the others...boots look absolutely miserable for relaunching your kite in the surf. If your going to ride a TT in the ocean w/big surf use a board with foot straps.

Glad you survived and sorry to read about your kite, but better it than you.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 13, 12 12:19 am     Reply with quote

Boots are totally totally to ride when the surf isnt huge. The waves at the coast when they are small make perfect kickers! Definitely make sure you arent going to get stuck with them on. I have had some pretty good washing machines with the board still on my feet battling around in the waves and its no fun.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 13, 12 12:21 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
When mowing over a wave and or white water one should always have their kite flying high and in an accending direction--it drastically reduces crashes such as yours and aids your movement over a wave and creates predictability of where and how the kite is flying.

True, Exactly that I had the kite low down in the window trying to get downwind to catch up with the other riders. Hit some whitewater got too forward down I went.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostTue Nov 13, 12 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Nice sound track.
Historical data from the clapstop buoy says it was about 10ft @ 14secs. Things are pretty serious outside, but you are in the reform there. And you dropped your kite right in front of some of it. You had about 7 seconds to right the wrong ....not much time. With boots on...the superman porpoise ride is really not an option....flagging out to your leash once the kite got inside of you might have saved it. Maybe. With boots on...rough.

Now don't go thinking you're the only one floating around out there like a helpless turd in the bowl blowing panels and bladders and such.....if you spend much time in the ocean with a kite you think about these things quite a bit. I try to avoid a down kite like the plague but shit happens. I find the exercise of relaunch in the surf a combination of interesting profanity and outright pleading to higher powers.
Lots of good stuff on here from the salty folks....

Classic
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-18390-0.html

For sure you forgot rule number 3 about releasing the kraken.... Laughing

Expensive lesson but glad you made it....you did a great community service by video documenting some PacNW coastal smack down and posting up. Better luck next time.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Nov 13, 12 8:09 am     Reply with quote

Rock those boots - bump and jump is fun - just don't drown when it gets big - wouldn't have wanted to be locked in to boots on the outside that day but who knows u could give chuck patterson a run for his money

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Nov 13, 12 8:29 am     Reply with quote

Kite Faux Pas of the year right there; Somebodys got to give
Gman a run for his money-- glad it was you. Cool

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Nov 13, 12 8:56 am     Reply with quote

yes, nothing trumps waist high ocean kickers for wake riding.

when it's big, though, one thing to keep in mind; if you are separated from the kite, it is a LOT easier paddling in on a surfboard than a twin tip.

my recipe for ocean fun...

small days: twin tip
medium days: strapless surfboard
big days: strapped surfboard
huge days: fish and chips and a pint

just because some 'tard on the forum is going out, doesn't mean everyone can go out

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Nov 13, 12 9:04 am     Reply with quote

I thought about joining you guys out there that day. Considering that I have only done the Oregon coast a handful of times on nice mellow days - I figured I would just be setting myself up for a kitemare with the big surf forecast. Glad you made it back in one piece.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 13, 12 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Chrismack is spot on.

Straps have there place, when its big it makes sense.

Also, once did a 30 mile DW in head and a half on the great lakes strapless. Almost puked from exhaustion from losing my board, weakness in the knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: