Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cable Park Shelved
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 08, 12 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
Oh dude, don't even get me started on fishing.... Wink

i've got my popcorn right here, go for it!

realharry

Since 03 Nov 2008
31 Posts
Oregon

PostMon Oct 08, 12 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

I thought kite boarding was HR's answer to a cable park?
Trent has made a lot of good points, the rest sound like a bunch of crying babies.
Rolling Eyes

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 08, 12 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

realharry wrote:
I thought kite boarding was HR's answer to a cable park?
Trent has made a lot of good points, the rest sound like a bunch of crying babies.
Rolling Eyes

not even. and despite popular belief it's not always windy in hood river, a cable would/would have provided an excellent no wind option for people who want to get on the water but don't own a boat and are looking for something a bit faster paced than SUPing. I would disagree that Trent has made any points, if anything all he's done is dodged questions and stirred shit up which I'm sure has been his goal.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 08, 12 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

i want to hear to trent slag on the fishing industry next, my popcorn is getting cold

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Oct 11, 12 10:00 am     Reply with quote

Someone contacted me this morning and helped me to understand something about this whole thing that hadn’t occurred to me before. They explained that it’s very likely that the financing that Naito had secured would not wait around forever. Honestly, I had not considered that. Not sure why, but just didn’t. So, yes. For me to say that “Naito isn’t going anywhere…” was naïve. It still bothers me to hear Naito lawyers arrogantly explain how they still “…hold all the cards” against our town but, whatever. This morning I’ve got a better view of the bigger picture at hand.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 11, 12 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Trent, reading comprehension fail? There are like 10 posts on this thread saying exactly what you just now realize. At any rate, better nate than lever.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 11, 12 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
Trent, reading comprehension fail? There are like 10 posts on this thread saying exactly what you just now realize.

No worries PJC......naivety is a slow process for many.

Trent wrote:
Someone contacted me this morning and helped me to understand something about this whole thing that hadn’t occurred to me before. They explained that it’s very likely that the financing that Naito had secured would not wait around forever. Honestly, I had not considered that. Not sure why, but just didn’t. So, yes. For me to say that “Naito isn’t going anywhere…” was naïve. It still bothers me to hear Naito lawyers arrogantly explain how they still “…hold all the cards” against our town but, whatever. This morning I’ve got a better view of the bigger picture at hand.

Financing is just one Trent. Litigious dirt is another and its all just numbers being moved from one ledger to another for any major developer. If the "friends" list of hotel changes are excessive (see WakeUp's very accurate quote: being held hostage) it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and Bob uses it to teach Will Jr. a valuable lesson about walking away from the table. Then how would the Port deal with developing a very tainted piece of dirt for their grand tax base enlargement plan? Probably by what they do and know best; industrial fruit.

Naitos do hold the title/cards and will benefit from profit, or business loss, but they will win one way or another and won't lose any sleep over HR and the city that was to be Jr's learning curve into the family business. The "friends" will view it as a victory while the majesty of the WindWing house and dirt piles continue their beautification plan for the next decade. I do believe the hotel and commercial space will go in.....but I am very bummed my family and I will not enjoy watching people getting a tow while drinking on the esplanade but I still have hope and will continue to support a cable for that location anytime.

Also, you didn't answer Nak's question about how you "serve" your community but your volunteer work is worthwhile so why dodge the question? The potential irony is if a declining tax base reduces public service funding requiring the volunteers to actually put their foot in the fire....instead of their mouth....could be quite a twist of fate wouldn't ya say? Quit baiting people on a dead issue after they repeatedly update you and then respond with a weak ass excuse. Losing funding? Really? That was the light bulb turning on for you? Sorry for the bashing but dude you lost me a long time ago with this gem you directed at Ian; I remember when you were learning how to kiteboard all those years ago. I remember how good the kiteboard community was to you back then when you were just a tiny little kid. Do you remember that? Do you remember how supportive of you we all were? Well, now you're doing a huge disservice to that community. Please stop.

Hmmm.....booted up white t-shirt wearing/feature hitting Ian doing a disservice to his community by supporting the cable park? Ignorance is bliss isn't it bruddah?

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 11, 12 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

i wouldn't get your hopes up - my guess is naitos is already engaging in a PR friendly way to extricate themselves from this mess, and the "compromise negotiations" you are seeing now is just smoke-screen designed to give the appearance "hey we tried".

i have no inside info, just my experience with how this sort of thing works in general.

i've no doubt they have meetings along the lines of "holy crap there are some bargains we need to build stuff NOW", how could they not?

respect the heck out of forrest for trying so hard with this stuff - i watched my dad get burned out playing this game, it's a biatch

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 17, 12 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

In case you missed it...

Last nights Port meeting was interesting for sure. Bob Naito was there to deliver and speak about the (attached) letter he submitted to the Port. Essentially, as many know, the Naitos are waiting to hear the Friends' concerns in regards to the hotel project before officially taking the cable park off of the table and endorsing the Babitz/Davies proposal. The Naitos would like to see if they can "work out an agreement" with the Friends' and their concerns on the hotel before pulling the plug on the cable park project completely. This would give everyone an opportunity to win and weigh in. Also, as a business it makes sense for the Naitos not to pull the cable park and count on the Babitz/Davies plan if the hotel cannot move forward since the funding for Babitz/Davies proposal hinges on the tax revenue generated by the hotel and other future port properties.

Currently, the Friends have 2 active lawsuits and 2 others waiting per Brent Fosters oral response to Mr. Naito. The Friends and Foster have stated that they will not enter into negotiations with the Naitos without a confidentiality agreement, meaning no public access to the negotiation content. Fosters reasoning for this requirement when pressed by the Port seemed dodgy from any seat in the room. He listed items like the setback from the water, the foot path, and other construction/environmental related things would be discussed and needed to remain confidential. How is this acting responsibly on behalf of the public one might wonder? His only reason for such a request is that he didn't want words spoken in the negotiations to be misrepresented to the public or press. That was his sole reason. You smell that?? It's a faint odor, but a fishy one for sure.

What I would like to know, is where is all this transparency the Friends et al are so fond of?? Negotiating in private on the supposed behalf of the public's interest? Shouldn't the public get a say in some of this? Not according to the Friends.

The Naitos letter summed it up pretty well by saying, " The Friends is a non-profit public interest corporation. I don't see any reason why they would want their negotiations confidential especially since they are negotiations on behalf of the public interest. All the issues to date have been addressed in the public forum. I see no reason to change."

I'm curious to see how the HR News and other forums will interpret this information. Meanwhile, have a quick read...

Naito_Letter to Port_10162012.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Naito_Letter to Port_10162012.pdf
 Filesize:  52.12 KB
 Downloaded:  210 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 17, 12 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

HR News story, including audio of Brent and Bob:

http://hoodrivernews.www.clients.ellingtoncms.com/news/2012/oct/17/sides-appear-be-impase-how-proceed-over-nichols-ba/

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 17, 12 9:43 pm     Reply with quote

"The Friends and Foster have stated that they will not enter into negotiations with the Naitos without a confidentiality agreement, meaning no public access to the negotiation content."

Hahaha, that is pretty funny. They are going to put forward ridiculous arguments, and they don't want people making fun of them.

Think the horses have perhaps left the barn on that one.

Forrest for President!

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 18, 12 12:57 am     Reply with quote

wow!
confidentiality?
what makes them think that they can decide and negotiate on the behalf of the rest of us without us knowing!

what kind of elitists are these people

"give them an inch they'll take a yard,
give them a yard they'll take a mile"

Total destruction, the only solution

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 18, 12 1:38 am    MAJOR MAJOR DOUCHEBAGGERY Reply with quote

THATS THE DOUCHIEST LAWYER EVER.

AND THATS SAYING ALOT

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 18, 12 7:38 am     Reply with quote

wakeup wrote:
wow!
confidentiality?
what makes them think that they can decide and negotiate on the behalf of the rest of us without us knowing!

what kind of elitists are these people

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 18, 12 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Who exactly decided that the friends had anything to do with the public? They are a group of individuals and in no way do they represent the public or their interests.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JonMalmberg

Since 15 Aug 2011
340 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 18, 12 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Don't the Naito's OWN that land? As long as they are following city, county, and federal code for development... when do they need any public approval for what they do within those codes?

I understand the issues behind the cable park, but sans the park... Naito should be able to tell all of us to bugger off. When Naito moves on and sells this to a commercial venture that is light industrial, they give the public the bird, it gets developed, and all access is completely gated off... mud on the Friends faces then.

Jon

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 18, 12 9:50 am     Reply with quote

The negotiations are about dropping the 2 lawsuits the "Friends" have brought against the Naitos.

While it's not uncommon for these types of things to go confidential, it's not appropriate in this case. Further, all the issues have been discussed in public up until this point, what new issues could there possibly be? The reason to go confidential is the "Friends" are doing something they don't want the public to know about.

It's very obvious they're trying to get money out of the Naitos, secretly. My guess is that it's Brent trying to get his lawyer fees, but it could be the "Friends" trying to create budget for themselves so they can continue to make decisions for the rest of us by lobbing lawsuits at anything they don't like.

I really wonder what all those people who attended "Friends" fundraisers think now. You guys funded a monster. Any member of the board of the "Friends" has veto power over anything from what I know. Now one person on their board gets to have all the power and decision making, if they don't agree with the direction of the "Friends" organization. I have a question for you "Friends", how does a member of the public get on the board? How does the public you claim to represent disagree with your antics?

We're really fortunate that the Naitos are taking a "No Bullshit" approach to this. Last thing we need is money that could be spent on this community being siphoned by these "Plaintiffs of the Hood River Waterfront".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: