Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cable Park Shelved
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 01, 12 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

ANYWAYS, WindLogik goes to the same CrossFit gym I do, we'll settle this with a weight lifting contest.

In the mean time, Party this Saturday to celebrate a new cool kiteboarding access point to our wonderful river. More details to come.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Oct 02, 12 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Both sides spent a significant amount of time and resources promoting their position. Then the mayor and the port director (privately?) decide on a third plan with no public input what-so-ever.

Shouldn't something this significant go on the ballot?

Personally, I'd like to see a public indoor/outdoor recreation center built on lot 1.
Swimming pools, exercise rooms and equipment, indoor and outdoor courts, climbing wall, etc. fun and fitness for all.

Wasn't HR recognized as a fitness town? Let's run with that...

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 02, 12 7:11 am     Reply with quote

It was the threat of 3 to 5 years of litigation against hotel/office building from the "Friends" if the Port approved the cable park, vs. the "Friends" shutting down a very well funded developer and the fear of no other developer/business entrepreneurs feeling like Hood River is a safe enough place to establish a business. The "Friends" took the whole project hostage, literally.

I have to say that I think we did pretty good vs. them. They had funding, organization, 10 to 12 people actively working on it, branding, and even started a non-profit [1]. We didn't have a single dollar, and two people working on it part time.

Lot 1 would be an excellent place for that. It's just that a community owned rec center doesn't fit into the Port's mission statement, so it'd have to be a commercial venture. It's not out of the question, and personally what I'd like to see as well.

I think there is an overwhelming sense of something needing to be done for the active community here, not just plant trees with the boat basin improvement funds. Now would be a good time to start brainstorming ideas.

1: http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=1577064&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 02, 12 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

I have to say that I think we did pretty good vs. them. They had funding, organization, 10 to 12 people actively working on it, branding, and even started a non-profit [1]. We didn't have a single dollar, and two people working on it part time.

All of you did a GREAT job!!

Unfortunately you were up against a movement and method of using (some would say abusing) the system to block you without compromise or even have an open mind consideration of others. they do not care about anything except their agenda. Bummer!!

The "friends" are really enemies. Not the enemies that you "crush, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!" but political and philosophical enemies that think only they know what is good for the world. It was the same with those folks behind the effort to block snow kiting on forest land a few years ago. In their eyes, only they knew how the land should be treaded on. They knew next to nothing about snow kiting, yet, without trying to inform themselves more or consider the rights of others they decided snow kiting was bad. The exact groups that consider themselves to be the most "open minded" are exactly the opposite. I would bet good money that if you dig to the root of these movements you will find same fairly extreme political views.

So have a beer with them and always be civil, but, know that they will just bend you over without compromise every time you want something that is outside their agenda.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Oct 02, 12 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
It's just that a community owned rec center doesn't fit into the Port's mission statement, so it'd have to be a commercial venture. It's not out of the question, and personally what I'd like to see as well.

So we (the public) are letting the narrow focus of the port's state mandated, out-dated, boiler plate mission statement determine what is best for our community.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 02, 12 10:09 am     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

All of you did a GREAT job!!

Unfortunately you were up against a movement and method of using (some would say abusing) the system to block you without compromise or even have an open mind consideration of others. they do not care about anything except their agenda. Bummer!!

The "friends" are really enemies. Not the enemies that you "crush, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!" but political and philosophical enemies that think only they know what is good for the world. It was the same with those folks behind the effort to block snow kiting on forest land a few years ago. In their eyes, only they knew how the land should be treaded on. They knew next to nothing about snow kiting, yet, without trying to inform themselves more or consider the rights of others they decided snow kiting was bad. The exact groups that consider themselves to be the most "open minded" are exactly the opposite. I would bet good money that if you dig to the root of these movements you will find same fairly extreme political views.

So have a beer with them and always be civil, but, know that they will just bend you over without compromise every time you want something that is outside their agenda.

So accurately and well stated Salmon.
It's a relief to know that others were aware and educated enough to understand the real facts for what has lead us to this disappointing conclusion.
The City of Hood River and the Port of Hood River were both very diplomatic and incredibly fair in their actions and attempts to maintain public inclusion during all discussions.
It's a true shame that this decision is not being made for us by the appropriate authorities or governing bodies, but having to be ultimately monkeywrenched by individuals with relentless legal tactics that if allowed to continue further would have set unprecedented negative legal backlashings that in the end would have mostly hurt the future of all Hood River activities and businesses along the waterfront at large.

www.Purestokesports.com

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Oct 02, 12 10:25 am     Reply with quote

I don't know, when I get real quiet I can hear the lamentations of somebodies women.

Could be Romney's wives now that the polls are moving south .... but I think the middle class mothers of budding groms are also lamenting a fair bit.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Oct 02, 12 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

good thing the "friends of" approach to managing change wasn't employed when kiting was new and struggling to find acceptance among windsurfers.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 05, 12 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

More information: http://hoodrivernews.www.clients.ellingtoncms.com/news/2012/oct/04/basin-plan-gets-put-public-first-time/

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 05, 12 11:22 pm     Reply with quote

Trent 3 hours, 38 minutes ago

Something doesn't smell right here. If the Mayor, the Port Commission President, and the majority of the public (that showed up to voice their opinion at the port meeting) all feel that the cable park isn't what is best for our town, then the Port needs to simply reject the Naito cable park proposal and get on with the UR plan. Why are we making deals with Naito on this? Why are we allowing them "...hold all the cards" here? It's our town and our waterfront. We should be able to do what we want with it without having to appease an out of town corporation. What am I missing?

Upvote0

"Something doesn't smell right here." Have you checked yourself lately?

"out of town corporation"?
How long have you lived here trent?
these people are well respected third generation oregonians or more that live 45 minutes from our town. you talk about them like they are some evil corporate empire ready to rape HR of all they can while the lead figure for the opponents was nearly disbarred for lying.

These "friends" are ridiculous.

"Why are we allowing them "...hold all the cards"?

cause we have no money to do anything with out their project... WAKE UP!
are you gonna pay for it? you think the city or the port can?
Let's have a bake sale to pay for it!
typical pipe dreamers. sit around and come up with all kinds of great ideas but no way to make it happen. These kinds of people are a dime a dozen, especially in Oregon.
Then you are going to go spouting off after two well thought out elected officials go out of their way to try to come up with an alternative plan to bring the community together and you still keep on and on...
Meanwhile this is the third beautiful sunny friday afternoon/evening in a row that I have been hanging around the basin and not a single soul in or around it.
thanks "friends"
what a great cause with like 15 people backing it

At least this Heather chic has some positive feedback

They shoot down the cable park, oh well!!
You don't hear any of us threatening to sue our town or whining and complaining about the alternative.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Oct 06, 12 8:05 am     Reply with quote

It's a legitimate question, isn't it? Why not just make a clean break of the cable park by denying the Naito proposal and getting on with it without Naito being able to use it as leverage. That's clearly what the article suggested they were doing, was it not? The money isn't going anywhere. Naito isn't going to abandon their hotel plans because they aren't allowed to build a cable park. No way.

Folks on this forum like to associate everyone who opposed to cable park as members of the "Friends." I'm not affiliated with the friends. I've also lived in Hood River plenty long, thank you.

I'm curious why you decided to bring these comments that I made on the Hood River News article into this thread and reply them here? Why not reply to them where I made them?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Oct 06, 12 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Trent, if you have to ask this question, then you need to study this issue more. Perhaps give Arthur or Jon a call.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Oct 06, 12 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

It was a serious question, Forrest. And I don't know the answer to it. I consider myself to be pretty up to speed on the situation but apparently you might know something that I don't? You imply that you indeed know the answer to my question, yet you won't share it with me? I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who'd like to know. Can you help us understand?

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Oct 07, 12 11:14 am     Reply with quote

wakeup wrote:

Meanwhile this is the third beautiful sunny friday afternoon/evening in a row that I have been hanging around the basin and not a single soul in or around it.
thanks "friends"

you're just now getting hip? that's exactly what "winning" looks like for these types of orgs. it's empty, waiting for a small group with expensive gear to use it. that's the goal of the other side - it's technically "owned" by the public, but in practice it's used by the same small group.

winning for winners and lamentations of women. conan said it best.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Oct 07, 12 11:16 am     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
It was a serious question, Forrest. And I don't know the answer to it. I consider myself to be pretty up to speed on the situation but apparently you might know something that I don't? You imply that you indeed know the answer to my question, yet you won't share it with me? I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who'd like to know. Can you help us understand?

Nothing to understand...it's a stupid "duh" type of question Trent not worthy of a response and besides, you said the answer yourself; The cable is the only leverage against the "friends" to keep them in check....and that's all it is at this point in the game so no need to rehash because Naitos need it as a threat against a litigious group of zealots. Per the newspaper article the "friends" will now submit a list of hotel change requests Naito will consider....and if they don't agree/like...they'll play the cable park card. Naitos will make their money regardless and yes their money will go other places and new money will come in so don't fucking think anybody has Naitos by the balls. This type of bullshit mentality makes the Port and City do private deals to keep the peace.

This is Round 2 for Bob Naito on this development and the recent tour of Mariani Global Foods is coming at a unique time. Every good business has a Plan B....and a fruit cannery would be kinda funny at this point while Bob washes his hands of the real estate and local HR locos.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Oct 07, 12 11:38 am     Reply with quote

I'm not sure you understood my question, Sella. I didn't ask why Naito would want to hold on to their proposal. Yes, that is indeed obvious (leverage against the "Friends" list on hotel). I asked why doesn't the Port simply reject the proposal and take away Naito's leverage? Like I said, they aren't going to take their money elsewhere just because the Port rejects the cable park proposal.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Oct 07, 12 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
Like I said, they aren't going to take their money elsewhere just because the Port rejects the cable park proposal.

you

just

don't

get

it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KoKWf6pLs8

2:40 or so is most appropriate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: