Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cable Park Shelved
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 01, 12 7:49 am     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
To me it sounds like in this proposal the least amount of people win. The "friends" will enjoy the improvement to the waterfront, but quite a few of them are opposed to the hotel. And the cable supporters essentially get nothing since they still won't get to use the area. Guess if you had to pick the "friends" will get what they wanted: nice access to a dump.

From an outside followers view of the issue, it looks like Naito were the real winners. Would the hotel have gone thru without the cable park controversy as a distraction ?

Oregon is one of the best states in the country - Be happy to live in such a great place.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 01, 12 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Lets hear the "friends" proposal now.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 01, 12 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Locals will end up paying for the basin cleanup, increasing the value of the Naito property. But now that it is going through government, the paperwork to begin will be completed somewhere around 2023, the signs will go up "your tax dollars at work project beginning 2024 ending 2052", actual workers on site 2030 - 2052 doing what the Naitos would have had done in under a year....

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 01, 12 8:19 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:

Oregon is one of the best states in the country - Be happy to live in such a great place.

It is a great place! Also, it's become kind of an expensive place (a lot more so than 15 years ago when I moved here) ... perhaps because (a) other people think it's great too and (b) it's hard to build things to accomodate new people?

Cool that Seattle is getting one. So OR will be the last state on the West coast to get a cablepark. After Idaho, Colorado and Nevada get one ... perhaps then it can be built.

The cablepark thing makes sense, my understand is it's not that expensive to build and run (hence cheaper than skiing) and ends up being quite popular (easier even than normal wakeboarding). But you need permission to build one.

My pals looked into something similar for kayaking, building a play park on a nasty quasi-industrial canal that ran under a freeway. Out of nowhere, here comes a "friends of the canal" group that insists that we "restore the natural canal". (nevermind that "natural canal" makes as much sense as "jumbo shrimp"). So they have playparks in CO, ID, NV, but not OR. OR used to have the world champions of kayaking, not any more.

But I agree, still a very nice place.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 01, 12 8:53 am     Reply with quote

If people protect the wilderness (forests, canals, nature whatever) so much that no one ever ventures into the wilderness to play, the kids will grow up not knowing why they need to protect the forest. Then what will you have?

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 01, 12 9:57 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
If people protect the wilderness (forests, canals, nature whatever) so much that no one ever ventures into the wilderness to play, the kids will grow up not knowing why they need to protect the forest. Then what will you have?

Yupp... next we'll have to remove all the roads in/near wilderness due to animals being killed by vehicles. Also remove all bridges that have pylons going into the water, because a muscle from Japan due to the tsunami attached to the Astoria bridge......

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Oct 01, 12 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Ha!

We live in one of the best windsurfing spots/kiting spots in the world, and everyone is sad because they can't get jerked-off by a cable? Doesn't anyone have a friend with a ski-boat? Maybe in the long run it will be nice not to have a rusty, galvanized frame sticking out of a pond.

When the wind switch is on around here, you can be on the water almost every day. The way I see it, there's plenty to do on the water around here. EVEN for the "underprivileged" kids;) There are mounds of cheap gear and programs in this town to get out on the water that don't require a jerk-tower.

nicorico

Since 13 Sep 2012
23 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Oct 01, 12 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

WindLogik wrote:
Ha!

We live in one of the best windsurfing spots/kiting spots in the world, and everyone is sad because they can't get jerked-off by a cable? Doesn't anyone have a friend with a ski-boat? Maybe in the long run it will be nice not to have a rusty, galvanized frame sticking out of a pond.

When the wind switch is on around here, you can be on the water almost every day. The way I see it, there's plenty to do on the water around here. EVEN for the "underprivileged" kids;) There are mounds of cheap gear and programs in this town to get out on the water that don't require a jerk-tower.

I hope this was sarcasm, because if not, you really have a twisted and uninformed look on this issue.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 01, 12 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

nicorico wrote:
WindLogik wrote:
rusty, galvanized

I hope this was sarcasm, because if not, you really have a twisted and uninformed look on this issue.

You mean uniformed about the rusty/galvanized part right? I think that might qualify as an oxymoron. Razz

WindLogik was opposed to it from the beginning, which is completely fair, so don't waste any time trying to convince him otherwise.

We all knew the opposition would gloat eventually.

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Oct 01, 12 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.wedge-galv.co.uk/uploads/file/stainingbyrust.pdf

Never seen a galvanized structure with rust stains?? Oxy what?

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Oct 01, 12 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

WindLogik wrote:

Never seen one of these before?

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/files/2012/07/douche.jpg

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 01, 12 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

WindLogik wrote:

I think they meant

YOU, the oxy-MORON

nicorico

Since 13 Sep 2012
23 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Oct 01, 12 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

WindLogik wrote:

Did you even read that document before posting it? lol

-n

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 01, 12 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

WindLogik wrote:

Did you read it? this document explains how to avoid rust on galvanized steel through proper preparation. Don't let that get in the way of your "chicken little" approach to making a "point".

Partial list of the Chicke Little "logic I have have heard.
1. Rusting galvinized metal
2. Pristine Salmon habitat
3. Poor children working to feed their families wont have access.

Many of you pro cable park folks will probably hop right back in bed with the friends on some other issue. Maybe someday you will learn the political and philosophical motivations behind "Friends" movements and wake up.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 01, 12 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Maybe someday you will learn the political and philosophical motivations behind "Friends" movements and wake up.

Agreed.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 01, 12 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

Galvanization (or galvanisation) is the process of applying a protective zinc coating to steel or iron, in order to prevent rusting.

The term "douchebag" generally refers to a male with a certain combination of obnoxious characteristics related to attitude, social ineptitude, public behavior, or outward presentation.

Though the common douchebag thinks he is accepted by the people around him, most of his peers dislike him. He has an inflated sense of self-worth, compounded by a lack of social grace and self-awareness. He behaves inappropriately in public, yet is completely ignorant to how pathetic he appears to others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 01, 12 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

Word.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: