Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

sauvies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSun Jun 19, 05 11:19 am    sauvies Reply with quote

looks to me like sauvies is on. my house in vancouver looks down right onto vancouver lake and the whitecaps are there for sure.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jun 19, 05 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

did it go?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 20, 05 7:29 am     Reply with quote

I heard it did from the Broadbandito...16m solid

paul

PostMon Jun 20, 05 7:48 am     Reply with quote

On the WA bank directly across from St Helens at 3:30 it was 10 - 12 knots gusting to 14 kts. At 5:30 it was averaging 12 gusting to 16 kts. Readings from handle digital anenometer. Nice conditions for me to work on starting and riding (and relaunching my kite!)

Anyone know what the wind speeds were at SI? interesting to know if the wind was stronger.

Paul

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jun 20, 05 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Drove down to Sauvie to check the action. It was going strong. I will go play today.

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 20, 05 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

Hmm kind of a wacky SE wind going on now? Weird...

PostMon Jun 20, 05 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Any guesses what it will do?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 20, 05 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Any guesses what it will do?

Not sure, pretty good pressure gradient but its still blowing backwards in town and on the coast.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Jun 20, 05 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

i was lit yesterday on my 11 for a while. im not sure about today yet but looking down at vancouver lake the whitecaps are starting but the direction is shifty. it looks like its improving though.

PostMon Jun 20, 05 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

The appears to be a weak southerly gradient in the Willamette Valley and a stronger southerly gradient along the coast. The southerly marine push appears to be starting early (us forecasters hate it when that happens Shocked ).

Pretty interesting day with Jones Beach cranking and the central gorge starting to go as well, while the southerly flow up the valley is pretty strong. These offshore lows are pretty challenging to forecast (at least I think so). I think I better go back to the drawing board for todays forcast.

George McLean
www.nwweather.com

bamboo

PostMon Jun 20, 05 4:51 pm    gradient radient? Reply with quote

first off let me say thanks (george) for all the wind updates. they are proving to be inspiration to get me through my work day.

with that said, you speak a language i can't quite understand. grandients this, southerly marine push that. i'm not even sure what the others are. any chance you can direct a newbie to the nw what all of this means so i can better predict my, cough, cough "sick days."

PostWed Jun 22, 05 6:10 am     Reply with quote

Bamboo-

The wind is driven by pressure differences. The classic model for the Gorge is cool and cloudy in Portland and sunny and hot in The Dalles. This sets up low pressure east of The Cascades and relatively higher pressure west of The Cascades. Air flows from high to low pressure and the Gorge is one of the few places the air can sqeeze through so the volume of air moving though is large and moves fast. The same thing happens when Portland is hot and the coast coast is cloudy at Jones Beach. There are many variations on this theme but that is basics. This time of year you can get a pretty good idea of what the wind is going to do just by looking at forecast highs on the coast, Portland and The Dalles.

If you want to look at computer models here is loop of surface pressure and winds that is pretty useful:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?mm5d2_slp+///3

Hope this helps.

George McLean
www.nwweather.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 22, 05 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Thursday is looking good... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: