Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lib Tech Vert Surfboard
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Nov 15, 12 5:50 pm    Bowl Reply with quote

I rode the Bowl 6'. Didnt really think it was a great shape. I liked the feel of the board on the water and it felt really solid. The tail on that board is massive good for a light wind killer i think.

I am also curious from those that are riding one now how its holding up to jumping and general abuse. Is anyone jumping on these?

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Nov 17, 12 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

On another note, does anyone here have any tips/experience repairing these boards?
I just put a nice rail to rail buckle in my Vert on the coast today. Does epoxy work with their resin/glass? Any thoughts?

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSat Nov 17, 12 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

Ya bargeslayer, make sure to mention that you're looking for a board fix so that it won't buckle in 14' shore munch? Su-lay-in-it out there today.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Nov 18, 12 12:03 am     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
Ya bargeslayer, make sure to mention that you're looking for a board fix so that it won't buckle in 14' shore munch? Su-lay-in-it out there today.

Demand Chong tuff

Nice to meet ya Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Nov 18, 12 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Haha thanks man! Stoked to ride with you guys!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 21, 12 8:09 am     Reply with quote

Finally had the opportunity to get out on the 5'10.
This is a very fun surfboard to ride.
I got it from cleanline.
Josh was very helpful in selecting some fins for it.
It's worth upgrading to a performance fin.
Cleanline currently has a pretty good deal for the 5'10 board.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 21, 12 10:11 am     Reply with quote

That is the best, Bruce Lee after he steps on the bi guy's head and breaks his neck in Enter the Dragon, Face I've ever seen.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostWed Nov 21, 12 10:38 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
Finally had the opportunity to get out on the 5'10.
This is a very fun surfboard to ride.
I got it from cleanline.
Josh was very helpful in selecting some fins for it.
It's worth upgrading to a performance fin.
Cleanline currently has a pretty good deal for the 5'10 board.

Nice. I'm curious, what are you wearing on your feet?

Thanks,
George

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 21, 12 11:26 am     Reply with quote

yeah I was wondering if anyone would call those out.
o'neill super freak sneaks
got them for winter wake skating, but they work well on this deck.
I don't think I would try em on a normal surfboard deck

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 12, 13 11:52 am    Any updates?? Reply with quote

so all you guys putting the waterboards to the test. whats the word? Are they as tough as the claim is? Who is jumping these strapless and what have you found?

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 12, 13 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

not indestructible by any means. the foam core does take on water, as well, unfortunately.

They can take some pretty impressive dings without getting phased , but for one reason or another have seen kiters buckle these boards. Mine is still in relatively great shape but I ride it seldomly. I did get a ding which was a pain to repair since the outer resin layer propagates cracks easily. Even if you patch up a crack, putting stress back onto it will cause the crack to propagate underneath anyway. Kinda weird.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 12, 13 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

I would agree with the above post completely. I've done 3 major repairs on the board I've had for the past year including a buckle and a large delam. The foam sucks water like a sponge and cracks quickly propagate. I was lured into buying one by their impressive marketing hype, but none of it has proven to be true.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 13, 13 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Not normally one of the comments I ever want to be quoted with, but, there are no indestructible "surfboards" on the market.
There are some pretty beefy kite/surfboards built for taking severe beatings, but they do usually come with a cost and gain in weight with a very different 'feel' on the water in regards to their flex, riding characteristics and feeling of fluidity when really surfing the board properly.

We've had 2 Lib demo boards out on the water since May and we've had 50/50 result in regards to damage. One board received a deck crack, but is was while being ridden by someone boosting some fairly big strapless airs and still working on how to land (Pierre repaired it since then and I have been doing my best to test the strength of his workmanship Wink
The other board has been ridden about 3-4 times as much and only has one or two slight heel dents at most and has been ridden with no front pads (wax only for now, but adding a pad soon due to warm temps).
As for the cosmetics, cracking and dinging, both boards don't have even a scratch (one even had a nasty bumpy gust ride through both the Rufus parking lot and the Viento launch without any damage). I would say that the impact and dinging strength of these boards is one of the biggest strengths, as well, the concave deck does allow for some impact absorption with landings.

With true performance surfboards, it's a risk that the rider is willing to take in order to get a lightweight board that rides like a pure surfboard.

Just my 2 cents to add to this.

www.Purestokesports.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 13, 13 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry, one more note on the Lib Waterboards.

Fins:

The stock fins are prime for slashy, shmeary surfing use, but for most people kiting on these boards, the fins are probably too slippery and loose.
I like the stock fins for shorter chop slashing, but for most all conditions, I actually ride with either a stock set of G5 FCS Side fins or a set of larger MRFish FCS Side fins for more bite and a more solid drive through high speed carves.

Fin positioning on these boards is critical as well. Moving the fins forward will make the board super, super twitchy loose, while moving the fins all the way back allow the board to have more solid drive through higherspeed turns.

www.Purestokesports.com

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, one more note on the Lib Waterboards.

Fins:

The stock fins are prime for slashy, shmeary surfing use, but for most people kiting on these boards, the fins are probably too slippery and loose.
I like the stock fins for shorter chop slashing, but for most all conditions, I actually ride with either a stock set of G5 FCS Side fins or a set of larger MRFish FCS Side fins for more bite and a more solid drive through high speed carves.

Fin positioning on these boards is critical as well. Moving the fins forward will make the board super, super twitchy loose, while moving the fins all the way back allow the board to have more solid drive through higherspeed turns.

After about 15 months riding my LibTech Bowl 5'8". I finally got around to putting some G5 Fins on it. Night and day difference. Exactly as Pepi described. Lots more bite and drive through on toe and heel side carves. I totally feel like I can trust it now and can really charge. Great tip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: