Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lib Tech Vert Surfboard
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 02, 12 7:00 am     Reply with quote

got to jump em!

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 26, 12 11:23 am     Reply with quote

I just saw these at Oregon surf shop and they look unbelievably sick. I want a 5'10 Bowl

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 26, 12 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Just got the 6'0" Vert and spent last week playing in the surf at Manzo with it. Awesome, playful board that is my new fav in the waves. Goes up wind fine, easy to jibe, smooth in the chop and fun to jump. And the durability makes it worry-free- what's not to love.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 26, 12 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a slight domed deck on my board and like it a lot, wondering how that inverted deck feels after a long session ?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 26, 12 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

Might want to talk to Tim at Oregon Surf Shop I heard he has busted 1 already...

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 27, 12 6:28 am     Reply with quote

Some people like the concave deck. I prefer a convex deck with heel dent pockets.

I have also heard of some durability concerns with creasing the deck rail channel with your heel when jumping. Too bad, it's cool that they're trying something different. Maybe the next round will be stronger and more "wow" than "meh" shapes.

Oregon Surf Shop Tim

Since 04 Feb 2008
70 Posts
Lincoln City Oregon

PostTue Aug 28, 12 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I have kited the 5'8" Vert. Had a blast on it. Good flex characteristics, good weight. really liked it a lot. I did not break it! Very Happy Between Ben and I, we have a couple of sessions on it and it has a bit of a crease/crack on the ridge of the chanel out by the rail from our heal hammering on it. I think it is important to note that I have never heard anybody from Lib say that they were building this to be a kiteboard, they built these to be a surfboard and we have been kiting them a bit. As you all know , kiteboards take a far more severe beating in the course of there average session than a surfboard does. It is also worth noting that I weigh 200 lbs or so and tend to be a bit hard on my gear.
As far as I am concerned the construction is super solid and I am super stoked with the boards and with the fact that the guys up at Libtech are cranking out an eco friendly , manufactured board in not only North America but the good old Pacific Northwest!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Aug 28, 12 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/blog/_/post/8126634/lib-tech-mike-olson

Pretty rad that Shorties is on Espn.

The video of them flexing the board is pretty impressive too.

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 28, 12 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

I thought LibTech was out of Cali.

surfalki1

Since 17 May 2010
21 Posts

PostTue Aug 28, 12 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

Weaz wrote:
I thought LibTech was out of Cali.

Sequim, Wa is where libtech is located

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Nov 12, 12 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Just checking in for an update on these boards. I think the appeal to most kiters is the claimed durability, any word from those using these boards?

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 12, 12 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

I've been using one since august for surfing and kiting. Been treating it like shit and don't have a single ding. These boards rock!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 12, 12 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

I picked mine up in August as well and just love it. No damage yet with plenty of abuse. Finally, a board that surfs great that I can just chuck in the back of my car with no worries.

krueg

Since 16 Feb 2010
51 Posts
Wenatchee Wa

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 13, 12 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Love mine! had it wash up on some rocks and get smacked around a bit by waves and not a scratch on it. I have one ding where I threw it under my arm and the bottom side caught my spreader bar buckle, but it's small enough that you wouldn't see it unless you look hard. Also, after getting used to the concave deck I feel like it is a liitle more comfortable and controllable.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Nov 13, 12 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

I demo'd a 5'9" for a couple of weeks. Very lively board. Though it rode larger that it was, it had a tendency to stall in the bottom turn, which you would expect as a shorter ride, and I'm probably too tall and heavy for a 5'7". Still acceptable so I preferred it on higher wind days and pretty loaded.

I also rode the 6'0" and it had the drive on the bottom turn really exposing the Lib Tech's snap out of the turn like a good snowboard. Very similar to how a Firewire feels. Great board when you want to under-rig a little and surf it.

Both of them I rode unstrapped and I think with the tendency for the material to wear quickly that is the way to go on these. Like Tim said, it is a surfboard and probably should,nt be jumped and ridden hard by riders demanding a lot of wave bashing.

I think this material is going to make a great longboard BTW. Can't wait!!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Nov 13, 12 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

How much do you weigh Barfly? At 195 I'm wondering if a 6'0" would do me good in the Bowl series. I'm thinking there may be a possibility of surfing the 6'0" too, at least on steeper days. I'm hoping to pick up a used one before next season.

Andy

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Nov 14, 12 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I'm lighter at 175 6'. The boards I tried were Verts and I think b/c they seem to ride large, you would be good with one of those. The Bowl would probably be a great ride a little shorter than 6' probably (??) for those small fat wave days in the summer. I would think they have really good float and with the wide tails very skatey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: