Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

IWindsurf + Web Cell Phone = More Kiting!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 14, 05 12:30 pm    IWindsurf + Web Cell Phone = More Kiting! Reply with quote

For the last couple of years I have had an IWindsurf account and access to it over my cell phone using wap.iwindsurf.com.

I really got to say that as far as gear goes, this is the most useful tool I have in my quiver. Especially here in the NW and in the Gorge, where a simple 20 minute drive can be the difference between dead, and perfect 12m wind.

I can't count how many times I've checked my phone right at Bonneville to see if Stevenson was still looking strong or if I should keep driving to HR or further. If I didn't have the phone or IWindsurf I would have no idea, and just have to guess, or waste valuable time checking each spot.

Then there are times too in the Gorge when one spot will be totally gusty, holey, or nuked out, and another near perfect wind. Once you learn to read the different wind speeds and ranges and pair that up with cloud cover and wind direction, you will find the right spot every time.

I know there are those that are skeptical about this stuff and avoid technology if at all possible, but I'd imagine its pretty tough to argue with more time on the water in better wind.

Just my $.02! Thumb's Up
-Phillip

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue Jun 14, 05 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have to concur. At times I've complained about IKitesurf format change, forecast accy, and cost etc. and I know we'd make do without it BUT take it away and I'd be a piece of work looking up hours old readings using the other weather sites.. This is especially true when you have the flexibility for kiting at so many spots up and down the Gorge and the Coast. Amen Brother Phil.. Cool

PostTue Jun 14, 05 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

yeh thats cool - way better than the pager

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Jun 15, 05 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Just to let you know T-Mobile only charges $4.95 per month for unlimited web access.

Some of my friends pay by the minute and get some unexpected extraordinary cell phone bills.

T-Mobile does have it's drawbacks, but for the most part I am happy with them. I have been using them for more than 5 years and they keep improving.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

PostThu Jun 23, 05 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone use this with Verizon? I read that Verizon often switches to analog around the Gorge and then WAP won't work. Can anyone confirm or hopefully deny?

Sailut

Since 31 May 2005
72 Posts
Utah

PostTue Aug 02, 05 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Can anyone get nwweather on thier web access phone

I can see a "try this link" on

http://www.nwweather.com/5daywap.php

but I don't understand how to do this.

Please Help

-Marty Cool

P.S.
I'm from Utah and
I kited with some of you at Rufus and the Coast from 7/21-7/30.
Everyone was very friendly and helpful,
Great group of guys.

Can't wait to come back over Labor day

Last edited by Sailut on Sun Aug 07, 05 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Aug 02, 05 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

I had the pager all last year and did nothing but complain about its reception, quirks, glitches and lack of info. Switched to the wireless web service last winter, sent the pager back and only now wonder why I didn't do it sooner. It Rocks! Tons of info and fully customizable Plus its cheaper. Why would anyone that owns a cell phone bother with the pager?? Cool

Teague

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 02, 05 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

i have confirmed that verizon wap does not work around the gorge (including HR)--but is good everywhere else. however, you can always find someone in the gorge who knows what's happening--especially the windsurfers.

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostMon Aug 08, 05 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

hey forum,

anyone that has a plan with cingular doing this? i just got a new phone with web access but, my current provider does not offer this service. need to know if i can go to another provider to get this.

thanks
kt

Sailut

Since 31 May 2005
72 Posts
Utah

PostMon Aug 08, 05 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

My phone is cingular
iwindsurf worked for me
in the Gorge and at the Coast

wap.iWindsurf.com

Still hoping for an answer on how to get

http://www.nwweather.com/5daywap.php

on my phone.

Anyone getting this to work?

-Marty Cool

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostMon Aug 08, 05 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

I have Cingular service as well and it works good for me all up and down the coast, Seattle area and the Gorge.

I tried entering George's WAP site to my phone and it just comes up "File too large" everytime I try to load it. Confused It works just fine on my girlfriend's phone though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: