Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oregon coast beginner/mellow/"safe" spots?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 27, 12 9:25 am    Oregon coast beginner/mellow/"safe" spots? Reply with quote

Seeking feedback on suggested coastal sites where a beginner/intermediate can have a good time and not worry about severe hazards (rocks, large gnarly waves, etc). And, yes, "safe" is a relative term - if you're KBing, you're not "safe"!

One spot I have visited (but not kited) is Road's End - it looked pretty good to me and had super-easy access and parking.

What say the coastal gurus?

TIA, Rob

DOPEFLY

Since 13 Oct 2007
97 Posts
Maui

PostFri Apr 27, 12 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Siltez Bay near LC is the best on the central coast. Its knee to chest high depending on the tide and there are alot of others learning so you won't feel left out + Roads End is close by when you feel like you have graduated. Watch out for them RE guys, they're pretty mean characters who love to thump on newbs so BEWARE! Wink

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 27, 12 10:30 am     Reply with quote

where to launch on siletz bay? I'll probably find myself down that way this summer

DOPEFLY

Since 13 Oct 2007
97 Posts
Maui

PostFri Apr 27, 12 11:33 am     Reply with quote

South of town you'll find an art gallery that has numerous copper/brass "spinners" on their lawn. Directly south from that building, along the waters sedge, is a park. 4 blocks or so down. You'll find it. There is just enough room for a casual crowd on the beach and you can walk your lines out into the water to launch. If it's summer and windy you should not be alone. Contact Oregon Surf Shop in LC for more info. They also carry equip and offer lessons. I often ride off the point, west of Taft, where the waves meet the mouth of the bay. I don't recommend it if your beginning due to a pesky wind shadow on a N or N/NW wind that can have you swimming if you try to extend your reach to far inland.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 27, 12 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

Do a downwinder, stay on the inside, Shipwreck, Cannon or Manzo

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Apr 27, 12 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

undertow wrote:

Disagree with Cannon. Poor wind compared to the other places and rocks and too many people congested on the beach. Road's End is also pretty rocky once you get south of the area. Really the best on the north coast anyway is the beach from Ft. Stevens to Gearhart. As said stay on the inside and you'll have fun. If the waves are small, you can have a blast going in and out of the break. But I don't know your skill level so can't really say what you might need to be keeping away from. Manzanita wind can be pretty wicked if you're just getting started on the coast.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 27, 12 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
undertow wrote:

Disagree with Cannon. Poor wind compared to the other places and rocks and too many people congested on the beach. Road's End is also pretty rocky once you get south of the area. Really the best on the north coast anyway is the beach from Ft. Stevens to Gearhart. As said stay on the inside and you'll have fun. If the waves are small, you can have a blast going in and out of the break. But I don't know your skill level so can't really say what you might need to be keeping away from. Manzanita wind can be pretty wicked if you're just getting started on the coast.

I think Cannon is actually pretty tame. The 4-5 rocks are all gathered at the same place- either get out and walk around them, ride through the gap between them (my choice) or go outside of them. Not too many people- comparable to Manzo. It's one of the few Oregon beaches where a lifeguard can keep track of you during Summer months. They seem to drive the beach hourly. I wouldn't count on them for a rescue. But when the wind died on me one day, they met me at shore and offered a ride back to my rig- very cool. Also, if you have the misfortune to get chomped by big whitey, at least you'll have some witnesses.

But to be fair, the wind is usually better someplace else like Ft. Stevens or Manzo.

PinkyBoarder

Since 04 May 2011
45 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostFri Apr 27, 12 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

I kited Roads End for the first time last weekend, it was great! The local guys were awesome, thanks guys! But not a beginner spot at all. The wind is great, but the waves there can be killer if you don't know how to handle and there isnt a lot of room 'on the inside.' and there were rocks. just sayin' Smile

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 27, 12 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

If There is a easterly wind, then at Manzo the easterly wind will blow the NW wind off shore,but Cannon has mountains that will hold off the Easterly wind , and allow the NW wind to reach the shore!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Apr 27, 12 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
barfly wrote:
undertow wrote:

I think Cannon is actually pretty tame. The 4-5 rocks are all gathered at the same place- either get out and walk around them, ride through the gap between them (my choice) or go outside of them. Not too many people-

I think what Barfly is mainly concerned about is the mix of a lot of people on the beach and newbie and or beginner kiters. Not a good mix and so far (to my knowledge) the OR beach has yet to have an incident between kiters and beach users that has caused personnel injury. We should all strive to keep this run going.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Apr 28, 12 7:21 am     Reply with quote

Not much in the way of flatwater on the coast other than Floras Lake and some of the bay spots like Siletz. But the bay spots can be extremely tidal with currents which is not a good scenario for the beginner. If you elect to try it at the ocean beaches with waves, then choose a day and a beach that does NOT have the following:

Big waves
Knarly shorebreak
Rip currents
Sharks
Lots of people on the beach
Lots of kitesurfers surfing waves
Dense fog
Extremely strong wind
Extremely light wind
Gusty wind
Offshore wind
Immediate hazards just downwind
Rocky shoreline
Surfers in the lineup

This probably not the complete list of potential hazards, but it goes to show that you must choose wisely or disaster could be calling your name. Oregon coast kiteboarding in the surf is not something that is recommended for beginners. Go with someone who has experience and ask lot of good questions about do's and don'ts of the game.

Question Idea Question

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostSat Apr 28, 12 8:13 am     Reply with quote

I ran into a huge white shark at cannon beach riding solo. So close I sprayed it going by. I pooped my pants. The most scared I have been in my whole life. even more than having a gun put to my head. The oregon coast is the most intimidating section of ocean I have ever visited and the most beautiful! Shocked

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostSat Apr 28, 12 9:03 am    Chinook, WA? Reply with quote

I'd consider myself a beginner, and found a nice little flat water spot to play on South West days. There's only one little beach access point and I've only seen ONE other kiter out here (black kite last year).

Just a hop across the bridge from Astoria...anyone else ever play here?

Happy hunting!!
Steve

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 28, 12 9:18 am    Re: Chinook, WA? Reply with quote

CrazyHerb wrote:
I'd consider myself a beginner, and found a nice little flat water spot to play on South West days.
Happy hunting!!
Steve
Thanks Steve! Just curious, why doesn't that spot work well on NW wind? Looks like it should work on both SW and NW. ???

How's the launch? Sandy beach and/or rocky beach, logs, etc? Any other hazards? Adequate rigging space? Parking next to launch? etc etc ...

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Apr 28, 12 9:24 am     Reply with quote

That's Norby's beach! Still need to check out what is over that bridge one of these years....

Speaking of man eating sharks - Barfly lent me this bedtime story when we crashed at his house:
http://www.amazon.com/Surfing-With-Great-White-Shark/dp/0963334271

In 10 years only had one run in down by Gold Beach - tho Monday at Manzo on a far outside tack I spooked something bigger than board size that exploded under me - thankfully held it together and didnt fall - probably a sleeping sealion - but I'm betting he did better with extra 4 gallons of adrenalin in his system

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 28, 12 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Isn't the tide all to the good when it's pulling you windward? Hard to imagine the tide being so ripping you can't pull downwind from it - and so long as you are riding a goodly distance from the mouth ...

just curios, I've always played in that sharky surf Cool

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 28, 12 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

I have done it on a NW, nice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: