Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Spend a romantic weekend with your small kite...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jun 10, 05 9:11 pm    Spend a romantic weekend with your small kite... Reply with quote

Looks like this weekend in the Gorge is going to be one of those where we become very intimate with our little kites. My 7m and I have had a dangerous relationship... sure it feels great and takes me to places I never thought I could go, but it also hurts me like none other. Maybe this will be the weekend where its finally tamed?

I doubt it... Wink

7m big indoors, small in the air
 7m big indoors, small in the air  7m_small.jpg 

PostSat Jun 11, 05 7:24 am     Reply with quote

I'm not going to be able to make it out until late afternoon, but I'm really hoping for good solid 3m, 5m or 7m until sunset.

The small kites can really give you a whoopin if you try to do all of the tricks that you normally do on a big kite. If you throw on some 12-15m lines, and forget about the tricks and jumps, it's effortless to cruise around and rip upwind on the little kites. Then look for the big swells, and think "buckets"!

Hope to see everyone out on the micro kites later today.

Spencer

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 12, 05 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Hey Pkh - I'm curious, did you get lucky, or were you stood up by that little Yarga hottie? Embarassed

Tonski

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jun 12, 05 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

tonski - The 7m and I went on a date Saturday, I think it was jealous of the previous session with the 9m so it decided to spank me a couple times. All-n-all though, good date.

Today I decided to leave the 7m in the car and stick to the lighter winds at the sandbar, wise choice I think. For once it felt good to be a little underpowered... Very Happy

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Jun 12, 05 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

phil...missed kiting with you and your yarga honey this weekend. we have to hit seaside more often with jason, john and others....not much compares to wave riding and the beauty of the oregon coast! ....of course warm clear skys and the extinction of sharks might improve things...

btw, what's the number of the cleaning service you use? I can never get my house to look that good.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jun 12, 05 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

a rare clean moment in my humble abode... Very Happy

I gotta get me a big kite and get out to the coast...

PostSun Jun 12, 05 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

what is the prefered kite size for the oregon coast?
Mark

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 13, 05 6:15 am     Reply with quote

mark - maybe its best to start a new thread and ask that question... the quick answer is: depends on the day and where on the coast

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 13, 05 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Hey Mark: I'm no expert and have only sailed as far south on the coast at Oceanside/Netarts, but I would say you need a 18, 19 or 20m for the North Oregon coast, and a 16m for the NW summer winds. I know that 6m and 8m are required often down at Whiskey Run aka Bandon.

I have used my 12m, 16m, 19m out in the ocean and 8m in Youngs Bay on NE to east winds.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

PostMon Jun 13, 05 9:12 am     Reply with quote

sasquatch thanks that does help.
Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: