Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LIQUID FORCE demo weekend
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Jun 11, 05 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Guest,

The Doctor's site clearly says that his meter is 3 blocks in from the beach, so you gotta take it for what it's worth.

Today is one of those coin flips for PDX-based glory seekers. Go East for gusty nukage? Or West for potential drizzly skunkage? Or Forget it? Never!

I think the Pagan Godhood will most likely head....

West.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jun 11, 05 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Slither you forgot to mention that staying at home and watching Full House re-runs is the 4th option...

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostSat Jun 11, 05 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Your weather station is a little off. I checked the Clatsop spit meter on Iwindsurf and it says it is blowing 14 from the NW.
Is your wind meter on top of your house? That is not an accurate meter and it should say that on your website or people will think this is the real measurement of wind at sunset beach.

Yes, it does sit about 7 feet above the top of my house at around 30+ feet off of the ground. My house is at about 45 feet above sea level. There are trees around the area. The wind measurements are not going to be perfect.

I wish I had a place to site the anemometer right at the top of the dunes but I don't. I will not live down by sea level and only know one person who backs up to the dunes but I would need 4-5 transmitters and places to put them to be able to provide exact measurements.

As stated, the meter does not sit down on the beach, sorry. Even Ikitesurf is unable to site a spot around here, I have already talked with them. I will try and update data points to more accurately depict what you could expect but I am busy with work too. If it does not meet your needs, suggestion is to not use it.

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jun 11, 05 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Sloth - Do you have a good description of how different the wind is on the water compared to the sensor? Usually even if a sensor is in a bad spot, you can get used to its readings and make adjustments for what you know is correct.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSat Jun 11, 05 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Wind Slither"]Guest,

The Doctor's site clearly says that his meter is 3 blocks in from the beach, so you gotta take it for what it's worth.

Today is one of those coin flips for PDX-based glory seekers. Go East for gusty nukage? Or West for potential drizzly skunkage? Or Forget it? Never!

I think the Pagan Godhood will most likely head....

West.[/quote]

The Liquid Force Ozone demo derby days were a huge hit with lots of buggy antics and BFK's. Eli was destroying plover habitat in a 3 wheel buggy and I was jealous just watching the speed and control over pretty rough terrain. Demo kites and land boards were everywhere.

Personally, the two two-mile downwinders were the capper with solid 4 foot swell and 20M kites. What a party - I'm sure everyone was enjoying the gorge, but coastally was mui bueno.

Just got back to the homestead after pizza and brews. Garibaldi is still blowing wnw 18. Glory be glory be. We juiced that sesh for all it was worth and the bitch still iz calling. Hail gods.

As usual, Slither and Sasquatch brought their wind charming powers to the nw coast. Follow the wind seers.

See you'zizzle on the next shabizzle.

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostSun Jun 12, 05 7:27 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Sloth - Do you have a good description of how different the wind is on the water compared to the sensor? Usually even if a sensor is in a bad spot, you can get used to its readings and make adjustments for what you know is correct.

Yeah, I am working to try and add data points in a chart on the weather page itself. Just need to add more data. If anyone can help to gather the data and then send it to me, I will add that. I would need day, time, avg. speed and wind dir. I can look into the weather station to gather the station data back for 2 weeks. Again, work seems to be the biggest problem for me, I will be in San Antonio all this coming week. Season more or less just kicked off here and now it is time to make comparisons between my station and reality on the beach.

As far as actual wind down on the beach yesterday between 2-4pm, the speed seemed to vary. Wind speed was down to 8mph then up momentarily to around 12mph then back down. Skies cleared a bit and the wind started picking back up and started to remain steady, or at least while I was there. Direction also was mostly W and then momentarily some NW would show. It may have stayed to NW later but I do not know. Knowing this, it seems as though the Clatsop Spit sensor did not show true readings, speed and dir, for Sunset Beach either. The sensors should be used to maybe get an idea of what the winds could be doing. I am still shocked to see my station showing primarily SW and bits of W during the same time. The previous data points I have gathered show the correct wind dir on my station compared to the winds at Sunset Beach. When I mounted the station, I used a GPS with a compass to align with true north. I do understand that the different directions of the wind may get changed when they near my station, hence the reason for the data points. I would like to provide as accurate of readings as possible, but...

My fantasy idea would be for me to be able to talk one of the home owners, right next to the dunes, into letting me site an anemometer on a 10' pole right near the edge of the dunes. Have one or two repeater transmitters, again requiring agreements with other homeowners. The person I already know is not within my line of sight which is the reason for 4-5 repeaters. This option just does not seem feasible right now. I do have some line of sight to the ocean from my house though. It is possible, just improbable.

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

c-side

PostSun Jun 12, 05 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Yo Sloth.
We were riding off and on yesterday after you left. And we had moments of being overpowered on 16s (pulley bars) and 20s (sheetable).
We did 2 powered downwinders at about 4 and 7 pm.
So see what your sensors said from 4 to 7? There were some good sandbars and head high waves so it was a good session. Today looks better. Some blue skies showing and a forecast of partly sunny skies all day. It should be a good day to test your station.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Jun 12, 05 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Hats off to the Liquid Force (LF) crew (only met Ian and Joby) for their efforts yesterday. From 2 to 8pm did 3 downwinders (19m). Great wind, good waves (a little choppy) and awesome company (slitther, Bar Fly and the rest of the LF riders). After a day on the coast I forget what gusts are and how to use my trim loop--the wind is sooooo steady.

Today should be another good one. Enjoy everyone and thx again LF crew!

PostSun Jun 12, 05 9:01 am     Reply with quote

choppy yes. But the intervals between waves were short. Today looks insane already. Perfect skies and sun.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Jun 12, 05 9:28 am    THANK YOU! Reply with quote

thanks to the Ozone crew for being so generous with the landboarding gear! My shoulder is a little soar from crash landing into the jelly fish - but a first downinder in the ocean helped numb the pain and cleaned off the fish smell just fine!

Wink

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Jun 12, 05 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

That landboarding is awesome.. got to get me one of dem things!

Can't wait to try it with a little more terrain to work with. The high tide and the jellyfish strip were a little restrictive. I too plowed through the jelly fish...they don't come off!

Thanks Barly for providing the down-wind vehicle. Here's physics question...maybe Hein can help..

Why is it when you're packing up after your last downwinder of the day at 9pm and there's an epic sunset, does the sand stick magnetically to every thing you own?

I'm sure it has to do with the recalculas dewpoint.

ReeferMadness

Since 21 Apr 2005
32 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jun 13, 05 8:57 am     Reply with quote

Dr Sloth wrote:

I have not camped in the area. Ft. Stevens may have room since schools are not out yet, next week they break for summer.

Thanks for the info Dr! We decided to stay closer to home and went out to the WA coast, Great wind/wave action on Sat. Kiting in the waves is too much fun!

PostMon Jun 13, 05 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Fort Stevens has several spots that are always first come first serve. They have 610 total spots. There is also a KOA accross the street.
Mark

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Jun 13, 05 9:26 am    questionola... Reply with quote

does someone know which lagoon at Ft. Stevens is rideable and how to get to it? We spent some half an hour looking for it this weekend, but to no avail... I heard it is waist high water and is up against the coast line...supposively you can kite anytime the wind is up without worrying about the wind direction...something similar to Floras Lake but without the 5 hour drive.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 13, 05 10:58 am     Reply with quote

The lagoon at Ft. Stevens can be/is best sailed on east to NE wind. This way if things go wrong, the wind will push you into shore. The lagoon is located south of Parking lot D. At the parking lot, walk on the board walk to a viewing bunker. From there there are pathways to the sand/lagoon area. At slack this is the super buttery flat water to jump and shred.

The lagoon is basically a mud-flat/wetland/tidal area so high tide is the best time to go. The most water real estate to be had. When the tide goes out, this nice because it provides opposing current. I have sailed at low tide when the tide started to come in. This was fun because of the little waves that it creates, but I was only out with one other. If others were out, it would have been crowded, because the laggon is not filled at this time. The other thing to note is that there is lots of junk (logs, sticks, lumber with nails) and when the tide is coming in, this is when it pays to keep your eyes open. It all bunches up at the break. Not so much junk once slack has occured, because it has been spread out around the lagoon.

May be sailed 200 yards east/upwind of the plion at the point of the lagoon where it opens up to the bay more.

Locals (Bar Fly) know best and they say this site has the best readings for south, east and NE readings:

http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=DMNO3

Clatsop spit: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KAST.html

Last year I tried it on NW wind, but it sucks and don't even think about doing it on NW if the lagoon isn't full. Best to stck to NE to east to SE winds.

See ya out on the water.

Any photos besides yourself from Sat?

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Jun 13, 05 11:13 am     Reply with quote

thanks for putting this all together...great info! as for photo's I've been a real failure in this department lately, but will definately take some next time I get to Seaside. Let me know when you and slither head out again and maybe I can break away and get some quality ocean riding shots.

flying the 20M!
 flying the 20M!  seaside_1.jpg 

Last edited by colby on Fri Jun 17, 05 11:23 am; edited 3 times in total

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostMon Jun 13, 05 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

c-side wrote:
Yo Sloth.
We were riding off and on yesterday after you left. And we had moments of being overpowered on 16s (pulley bars) and 20s (sheetable).
We did 2 powered downwinders at about 4 and 7 pm.
So see what your sensors said from 4 to 7?

I heard that myself and someone else were the sacrifices for the wind gods as we both left around the same time...

In San Antonio right now but will check this out when I get back this weekend. Thanks...

As for some more photos, I have some but I can't ftp the files to a hosting server to have them display, stupid hotel WANs. They are certainly not the Bam quality action shots though...

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: