Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Cable Park - "Official" Informational
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 17, 11 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a regular footer, but I vote for counter clockwise. Learning stuff switch is more fun!

NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostWed Aug 17, 11 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

*** UPDATE ***

We will be holding an informal public meeting at 7pm on Thursday the 25th at the Hood River Hotel. I will be presenting the project and revealing our preliminary layout for the cable park.

I'd appreciate having nwkite attend to show its support!

*** UPDATE ***

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 18, 11 6:15 am     Reply with quote

this will make get me into some boots for sure. stoked.

da lox

Since 24 May 2007
22 Posts
hood river, or

PostThu Aug 18, 11 8:33 am     Reply with quote

do you have any drawings with the towers? i am having a hard time picturing what this would look like from downtown.

i would love to shred behind a cable as much as anyone else - but i'm not excited about looking at 5 huge towers on our waterfront...

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 18, 11 8:46 am     Reply with quote

da lox wrote:
do you have any drawings with the towers? i am having a hard time picturing what this would look like from downtown.

i would love to shred behind a cable as much as anyone else - but i'm not excited about looking at 5 huge towers on our waterfront...

I would imagine the towers are going to be the least of what you are gonna be looking at considering there is a hotel going in that will be blocking your view of the cable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostThu Aug 18, 11 8:54 am     Reply with quote

da lox wrote:

The cableway is definitely not an eyesore, and the pylons themselves are not "huge" at all. They are fairly tall, but also very slender with an open lattice structure. They actually blend right into the landscape at a distance.

I recently toured cable parks in Germany. Several of them were in the Alps - one on the border with Switzerland and another on the border with Austria. This is a very scenic area that isn't too different from Hood River and the cableways didn't detract from the area at all.

Please come to our town hall meeting on the 25th! I'll be sharing a lot of specific information about the cable park. The scale of the cableway is one of the issues we'll be addressing.

retz

Since 06 Aug 2007
130 Posts
west linn
Stoked

PostThu Aug 18, 11 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

I'm hoping a killer wave machine is next for some river barrels!

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 19, 11 6:15 am     Reply with quote

I'm a windsurfer rapidly turning kiter... started kiting just under a month ago... ultimately I'd like to get into swell riding/kiting on a directional board, so I don't have a lot of interest in wakestyle (at least yet) or throwing tricks off ramps etc... However, even though I will likely never use a facility like this, I think its a great project for Hood River... surprisingly progressive and great for the younger people involved in the sport. Looks like the perfect spot, and I'm sure both the pub & Sandbar Cafe will experience increased traffic as people come to watch the action. Good luck with the project and hopefully the nay sayers will be few. I imagine the windsurf schools may protest losing their learning area, but that's what the Hook is for. All the best!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 19, 11 6:36 am     Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that I think it's great for the youth in the area regardless if they kite, or not.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Aug 19, 11 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Are people so excited about their little cable toy thing that they are forgetting that they are building an 80+ room hotel on the waterfront? Big hotel, plenty of parking, improved water access. You think the sand bar is a zoo now? Is there anyway we can manage to build a factory outlet strip mall as well?

In some respects is is inevitable. But its hard not to think that constructing a hotel down there won't change the waterfront forever. It was always kind of nice to get out of town, go down to the waterfront and leave some of the summertime circus behind.

as far as oxygenating the water.. don't fall over patting yourselves on the back about entraining o2 in the water. lack of riparian veg, storm water impacts, and scaring the hell out of any fish that may backwater in that area far outweigh any benefit from increased o2....

Just my 2 cents. I don't live in HR so I don't feel its correct for me to comment at public hearing. Its not my home, but I do work there and spend allot of time there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 19, 11 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Are people so excited about their little cable toy thing that they are forgetting that they are building an 80+ room hotel on the waterfront? Big hotel, plenty of parking, improved water access. You think the sand bar is a zoo now? Is there anyway we can manage to build a factory outlet strip mall as well?

In some respects is is inevitable. But its hard not to think that constructing a hotel down there won't change the waterfront forever. It was always kind of nice to get out of town, go down to the waterfront and leave some of the summertime circus behind.

as far as oxygenating the water.. don't fall over patting yourselves on the back about entraining o2 in the water. lack of riparian veg, storm water impacts, and scaring the hell out of any fish that may backwater in that area far outweigh any benefit from increased o2....

Just my 2 cents. I don't live in HR so I don't feel its correct for me to comment at public hearing. Its not my home, but I do work there and spend allot of time there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Aug 19, 11 11:03 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

Really Monkey? Storm water and scared fish? Let's keep the old contaminated boat basin and reject the developement of the last eyesore that ties it all together from the Hook to the Marina? The development is inevitable and I'm stoked it will stay within the culture and attitude of a recreational town.

In the meantime, since you work in HR, keep your 2 cents and pay your $10 bucks for your CGKA membership, or STFU.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 11:48 am     Reply with quote

No one said you can't ride your surfboard at the cable and practice your gybes. I can throw down a 12 foot wall of spray on my surfboard at the cable.

D-Krep It Kiter wrote:
I'm a windsurfer rapidly turning kiter... started kiting just under a month ago... ultimately I'd like to get into swell riding/kiting on a directional board, so I don't have a lot of interest in wakestyle (at least yet) or throwing tricks off ramps etc... However, even though I will likely never use a facility like this, I think its a great project for Hood River... surprisingly progressive and great for the younger people involved in the sport. Looks like the perfect spot, and I'm sure both the pub & Sandbar Cafe will experience increased traffic as people come to watch the action. Good luck with the project and hopefully the nay sayers will be few. I imagine the windsurf schools may protest losing their learning area, but that's what the Hook is for. All the best!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

You just did comment publicly...

I think the city knows how to dispose of sewage being as though we have a water treatment plant. Lot 1 developments will dwarf this anyway.

Being a father who has established my homestead in Hood River, I think I speak for many when I say I support this. The qualify of life of the people who live here will be raised by this cable park. Not just during the peak summer months, or during the windy season. Compared to just the price of 1 kite, a kid can have an entire summer of rich and safe activity.

This is a real win for the waterfront. What do we have now that you're so worried about protecting? A contaminated hole in the ground, and hole in the waterfront's cohesion, that hasn't been used for 30 years.

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

I was reading this these posts and waiting for someone to call a spade a spade. I think the cable park is a great addition. However, trying to boast about a relatively minor environmental benefit without balancing it against the negative environmental impacts is a bit disingenuous in my opinion. Does anyone really thunk there wont be a negative environmental impact from this project? Just admit that it will have a negative impact, but, suits your need so you dont care. I will admit that I dont care anymore than I care about burning fossil fuels driving around to get some wind.

Also, how many of you would be jumping up and down about this project if it did not include a cable park? I am guessing about zero. I hope you remember your pro development stance when another development project comes along that fits someones need other than your own, but, I doubt you will.

i look forward to giving this park a try and getting my kids riding it too. Mostly I think it will be a fun venue to watch the skilled wakestyle riders show off their skills while I am sitting down with a cold beer in my hand.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

I meant comment at the public hearing. And I'm not talking about sewage, I'm talking about toxic storm water runoff. You know allot about computers and I know allot about developments, environmental impacts, and mitigation because that has been my business for the last 12 years. Everyone has a right to an opinion. Sorry if I'm not stoked to see a waterfront hotel down there.

And sella, you can suck my dick bro. You don't work OR live in HR last time I checked. Shit, you were not even living in this country last time we chatted.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

PMB: Dude, of course it will have an environmental impact but don't be a weenie about it and don't shit on something for the sake of shitting on it, cause that's what you do on this forum. They're already doing an environmental study, and if it has a gnarly negative impact it won't even be permitted.

Regarding a hotel, it's a free country and a land owner can do what they want in the confines of the law. The cable park is a huge win for the community but the hotel will happen either way.

Last edited by forrest on Fri Aug 19, 11 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: