Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Cable Park - "Official" Informational
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Aug 16, 11 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

I hope this is true. Sounds like the towns' collective dream. SICK!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 16, 11 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

This has me pumped. Since this effects the HR event site/sandbar kiting next year, will there be any effort to bring along other near by launches?

This is going tone cool. Nice job.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 16, 11 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto what Forrest said. It's been one of the most painful secrets to keep hidden for the longest time.

Thanks for putting up the post Will. Definitely look forward to having you meet with the CGKA and seeing what other ideas you have in store for improving the economic and environment status of the boat basin.

For those of you who might not be aware, due to cable parks being electric powered, they are super quite and the rider activity on the water creates a positive oxidation and circulation flow that results in a higher water quality level.
Joby or Forrest might have more to add on this, but it's all good environmental-wise.

Thanks again Will for all the hard work.
Now we gotta step up to bat for you in the public forums and meetings to make sure everyone is aware that we support your project.

www.Purestokesports.com

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Aug 17, 11 4:46 am     Reply with quote

Is it going to be a full on 6 tower cable or a 2.0?

Incredible either way.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 17, 11 6:30 am     Reply with quote

This is fantastic. Please consider season pass prices for locals

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 17, 11 6:34 am     Reply with quote

5 tower with a lil bro

Kirulmer

Since 15 Jul 2010
20 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 17, 11 7:17 am     Reply with quote

SO STOKED! Can wait until I can boost my riding skills 10X in 2 hours! WAKESTYLE

www.cabrinharaceseries.com
www.cabrinhakites.com
www.cabrinhasurf.com
www.npxwaterwear.com
www.pleasureground.com
www.neilprydewaterwear.com
www.jp-australia.com

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostWed Aug 17, 11 7:28 am     Reply with quote

Insanely sweet! Can hardly wait.

NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostWed Aug 17, 11 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Keeping this secret has been killing me! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOKED! For those who've never ridden the cable, This is the closest thing to creating your own wind!

Got a bunch of pix of Katie and I riding cable in Texas on my facebook page if you're curious about what it is: http://www.facebook.com/forrest.rae

Pepi wrote:
Ditto what Forrest said. It's been one of the most painful secrets to keep hidden for the longest time.

Thanks for putting up the post Will. Definitely look forward to having you meet with the CGKA and seeing what other ideas you have in store for improving the economic and environment status of the boat basin.

For those of you who might not be aware, due to cable parks being electric powered, they are super quite and the rider activity on the water creates a positive oxidation and circulation flow that results in a higher water quality level.
Joby or Forrest might have more to add on this, but it's all good environmental-wise.

Thanks again Will for all the hard work.
Now we gotta step up to bat for you in the public forums and meetings to make sure everyone is aware that we support your project.

A very special thanks to Pepi, Forrest and Joby who have been and are continuing to be a tremendous help.

The cableway is powered entirely by an electric motor about the size of the one in a Prius. Even though it uses very little electricity, we're still planning on offsetting the park's electrical consumption with a combination of an onsite solar array and green energy credits. I did this on our last project (a LEED Platinum office building in Portland).

The equipment makes 55dB of noise - quieter than normal conversation. In fact, in order to take the measurement, they had to wait for a calm day because wind rustling the trees was fouling their readings.

The park will also add just under 40,000 lbs of oxygen to the water per season through cavitation from the riders. This also has the added benefit of dramatically reducing coliform bacteria in the water.

Pepi, I'm looking forward to presenting to the CKGA. And, yes, it's going to be very important to show that the cable park has a lot of public support. I'm confident that we'll get the park approved, but we're going to need help in public meetings.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 17, 11 8:06 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:

Incredible either way.

The full size will be a 5 tower cable. There will also be a lil bro, (like a 2.0) that will run along the east edge of the boat basin allowing beginners to get their skills on point before they step onto the full cable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostWed Aug 17, 11 8:08 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:

Incredible either way.

Why not both? Wink

wakeup wrote:
5 tower with a lil bro

Confirmed - we're looking at a full 5 tower system and a 2 tower Rixen Little B.R.O.

I learned how to wakeboard about 3 weeks ago (Embarassed) on a Little B.R.O. and it convinced me that we should have one in the basin. I think it'll also be a great place to learn & work on raleys, tantrums, etc.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 17, 11 8:39 am     Reply with quote

So cool!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Aug 17, 11 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I spend a good bit of time at Texas Ski Ranch. They put in a lil bro last year and its been very beneficial. As you all said it is a great teaching tool, and shortens up the line on the full sized cable.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 17, 11 9:23 am     Reply with quote

... A dream come true! HR will be the bomb.

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostWed Aug 17, 11 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Great news!!

Something many have dreamed about and discussed for years! Big kudo's to Naito for seeing the same potential, both for the space and for boardsports growth and access in Hood River!!

Especially in seeing how cable riding has so quickly progressed so many of the florida and international riders- Read- Billy Parker- this year's Ro-Sham champ- and how quick their skills have progressed and elevated by having a cable to ride close by! It will definitely raise the overall riding level and ability to progress of the entire kite community and well as draw more board riders to Hood River!!

Add this to the snow rail jam's Pepi and others have brought now to downtown, from our humble beginnings trucking snow to the sandbar parking lot, development of the HR kite park and RO Sham event, not to mention the world class snowboarding on Mt Hood and badass skaters and parks... and this will really solidify and identify Hood River as a modern, high caliber boardsports town!

STOKED!

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 17, 11 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Will, good call !

Back in Canada I had a shop that did tons of wakeboards, we hosted tournements, parties & demos. Plus I love riding the cable at the OWC in Orlando. I know how big this can get.

I wish you the best of luck and would be willing to help in any way I can.

Keep in touch,
Dave Nunn
Windance Boardshop - Hood River

ps. can you make it run clockwise for all us regular riders?.

Mike D

Since 28 Apr 2011
195 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostWed Aug 17, 11 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I second the vote for clockwise!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: