Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Cable Park - "Official" Informational
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostWed Nov 30, 11 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
does anyone have a status update of how this project is playing out?
Haven't heard any chatter in a while and just wondering if its moving forward or not. It would be great to get an update from the developer as to progress.

Yes, this project is definitely moving forward! We've submitted the site plan to the City for review and are readying other necessary applications. In the last few months we've been spending our time ironing out many necessary details of the project. Not much fun (or interesting) to broadcast to you all, but important to ensure the project meets our high standards.

You can read more about the project and view renderings on our website. http://www.naitodevelopment.com/?page_id=34

The Waterfront Recreation Advisory Committee has also voted unanimously to recommend the cable park to the Port Commission.

We have received a letter from the Port Commission (the content is outlined below), and we're currently drafting a response.

Port Commission Meeting Minutes wrote:
· Naito Cable Park - Letters have been drafted to Naito Development; one focused on the Commission's concerns related to the proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park and upland development and a second letter related to Naito's request of the Port, as an adjacent property owner, to sign the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers application for an in-water work permit. McElwee commented the Corps application would not be signed unless Naito agreed to sign a letter stating that the Port's signature would not imply approval of the proposed cable park or as an future obligation to lease any portion of the Nichols Basin. Shortt said it was his preference that Naito first respond to the Commission's concerns. There was consensus, however, from the remaining Commissioners to send the permit letter to Naito for countersignature. Davies thanked Shortt for bringing his issues to the table for discussion. http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Minutes/11Nov.php

Happy Holidays!

NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostWed Dec 07, 11 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Bump for links added to first post.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 21, 11 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Still excited about the cable.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 02, 12 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
Still excited about the cable.

We all are!!
Looking forward to any updates from Will and the Naito team.

www.Purestokesports.com

NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostThu Jan 19, 12 9:41 am    Update Reply with quote

I noticed this thread has reached 50,000 page views!

We're hard at work on the cable park and the rest of the project. We've submitted a 90+ page application to the Army Corps of Engineers and Department of State Lands for all of the in-water structures, the complete project is in for review at the City, and we've proposed business terms to the Port for using their portion of the Boat Basin. This project is on-schedule!

We've also been talking with some great people in the water sports industry, who are all helping to make sure this park will be one of the best cables to visit!

Here's a preliminary rendering of the cable park building. Lots of great views from the building to the cable and about 6,000 square feet of deck space that's going to be great for hanging out, parties, live music, & other events!

I'll be attending the next Waterfront Recreation Committee meeting to discuss the cable park (date is still TBD, I believe) if anyone would like to chat about the project.

NBW-web-small.jpg 

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jan 26, 12 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

saw this looking for some local office space on CL. same as above pics, just more views and angles. Looks good Naito

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/off/2807779564.html

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 18, 12 7:05 pm    Inflatable slider Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of our inflatable slider that works on snow and water.

405887_10150558432256938_523576937_9400767_1417938349_n.jpg 
   421252_10150558432461938_523576937_9400771_1871168361_n.jpg 
   424457_10150558432381938_523576937_9400769_301216086_n.jpg 
   423684_10150558432556938_523576937_9400773_56050481_n.jpg 

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 20, 12 9:07 am     Reply with quote

What is that thing made of?

Have you ever actually tried to slide it? Looks like it wouldnt work at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 20, 12 4:34 pm    Yes Reply with quote

Works great, slides very well. Tested with many people who know sliders. Super durable. Simple to assemble and disassemble and transport. The separate and replaceable sliding surface is PVC. Video being processed, will post soon.

Mike D

Since 28 Apr 2011
195 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Feb 20, 12 4:41 pm    Pictures Reply with quote

I'm not seeing that working out either. Maybe straight on, but a boardslide looks like it would give a little causing you to catch an edge. How about some pictures of someone actually hitting it?

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 20, 12 6:07 pm    It works Reply with quote

Video being processed, will post soon.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 20, 12 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

im sure there will be legit features for the park anyways, not some inflatable thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 20, 12 7:24 pm    Works great Reply with quote

I dont want to get to far off topic here.
At this time, there are cable parks who are very interested. We would like to have people in your area demo them.

We will have the finished photos and video soon and will start another topic for them.

We used it on the North Amarican Snowkite tour and all the Pro's who used it LOVED it. Everyone who has used it loved it. It has been suggested by everyone who has used it that it would be great in cable parks. Hoop dynamics show that when you inflate a large tube, like our 28" diameter tubes to 4 psi they pretty much become rock hard. We are not out to replace hard features but to offer an alternative. These are not pool toys. These are industrial strength inflatable features.

While the pro level riders who have used them would like to see more of them, they may also be good for those who are not pro level riders and need to build skills without the penalty of a bad injury like those we see that occur on a hard feature. Not everyone is a badass. It helps to grow skills in conditions and on features that may be a bit more friendly than a pro might like. Most of the people who pay to use cable parks are middle level riders. 95% of cable park income comes from advanced intermediate level riders and below. Very little income at cable parks is generated from top end and pro level riders. A such, it make sense to offer the lower level riders some features that are best for them.

We do need to make the up and down ramps longer and we have already done that. We are extending them about 10 feet for both the up and down.

It has been proven that most people dont like new things and tend to boo hoo them until they are proven. Like windsurfing, snowboarding and kiting, just to name a few.
When kiting was young, MANY people viewed it as "not legit". I personally heard tons of people say that kiting will never go anywhere.

It is our goal to try and get them to Hood River in August for everyone to try them and decide for themselves if they like them or not. The proof is is the pudding.

All I am saying is that they are an alternative and that all the high level riders who have used them had only positive things to say.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 20, 12 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

not to get too far off topic here, but im about to get super far off topic. haha

what is a professional snow kiter? lol

Cant wait to shred the cable!!!! Hope the features aren't inflatable!

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 20, 12 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

Professional snow kiters turn tricks on the side so they can afford to snow kite most of the time Confused

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 20, 12 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

I just can't see a gas, under any pressure, being as hard as a rock. I'm still waiting to see videos or pictures of someone hitting it. If the pros (I used this term loosely) loved it, where are the pictures of them loving it? As much as I'd love a cheaper alternative to spending $10k to build a feature, I'm skeptical this is going to be as fun as hitting a non-inflatable.

Good luck, glad someone is trying something new, but I would not be pleased to see this type of feature comprise the entire park of the upcoming Hood River Cable Park. Happy to have a go on it if it's out there though.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 21, 12 6:25 am    Video Reply with quote

Im waiting for the videos. I will have them in a week or so. The crew that shot the stills and videos just got back from the NAST tour and is currently editing and processing all the footage from the tour.

Just to be clear to everyone, not suggesting any park feature all inflatables. Probably just one as an alternative.

They are very good for events and tours where you need to move features around to different locations.

They may not be right for every park but some are very exited about them.

Working on getting them to SPI in May and Maui in July then Hood River in Aug.

Maybe people will love them, maybe not. I just want to get as many people to try them this summer as possible.

timthumb.php.jpeg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: