Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Cable Park - "Official" Informational
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
NaitoDevelopment

Since 25 Apr 2011
23 Posts
Portland

PostThu Sep 29, 11 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, please consider submitting your comments to the Port, even if you simply cut & paste what you've already written on this discussion forum. The public comments are definitely being read and it's really, really important that the Port know how much at-large support there is for the cable park.

On another note:

We're going to provide wakeboard storage for season-pass holders at the cable park, but we're also considering secure equipment storage for hotel guests.

I know a lot of people on this forum live in Hood River, but I'd like to get a sense of the interest in this amenity from those that don't live in town.

The storage will be double-secured - you'd have to be a hotel guest to access the common storage area and a second lock would protect your gear. The advantage of this dedicated storage is that you don't have to constantly move your board, kite, skis, MTB, etc. etc. all the way up to your room or worry about the security of your car rack.

Thanks for your feedback.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 29, 11 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

NaitoDevelopment wrote:
...., but we're also considering secure equipment storage for hotel guests.

This would be a good move unless you want sandy, muddy and wet gear in your rooms. Just sayin'

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Sep 29, 11 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
NaitoDevelopment wrote:
...., but we're also considering secure equipment storage for hotel guests.

This would be a good move unless you want sandy, muddy and wet gear in your rooms. Just sayin'

Ditto. I always feel a bit like an ass at Whistler dragging my bike to my room, but it's not like the hotel is gonna care if it gets stolen from the garage. I've definitely heard of people's bikes getting stolen from secures storage areas even when the bikes were cabled to some posts. You'd definitely want at least double secured storage to make guests comfortable with leaving their expensive gear.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 30, 11 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Secure storage for pass holders would be awesome. Then my whole family could just ride our bikes down, ride for a little while, and then peddle back home.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Sep 30, 11 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Secure storage for pass holders would be awesome. Then my whole family could just ride our bikes down, ride for a little while, and then peddle back home.

You sure you can handle all that uphill pedaling Forrest?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 30, 11 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like we might get a cable park, or two, in the Seattle area. WooHoo!

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110730/NEWS01/707309952

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 02, 11 6:55 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

Bust out dem drysuits!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dpow

Since 13 May 2011
83 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostSun Oct 02, 11 11:56 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
wylieflyote wrote:

Bust out dem drysuits!

definitely wont need drysuits anymore than you need drysuits in hoodriver, we go wakeboarding on the puget sound all summer without hardly a wetsuit

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 02, 11 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

devonpowell wrote:
Inept_Fun wrote:
wylieflyote wrote:

Bust out dem drysuits!

definitely wont need drysuits anymore than you need drysuits in hoodriver, we go wakeboarding on the puget sound all summer without hardly a wetsuit

Your right, Seattle isnt 200 miles north of Hood River...
Still dope ur getting one!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Oct 03, 11 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, how could the puget sound be any colder than the Columbia? You guys make it sound like it's connected to a vast, freezing cold ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 05, 11 9:39 am     Reply with quote

a lot of good points are brought up for building the park.
so in regards to water quality/conditions, this past summer people wore wetsuits well into June. Is the water still warm now?
I just don't see the demand for this park when the water is cold. Usually I hear people on here in May whining about how cold the water is.
So one can assume that for about 3 months in the summer you'll be able to hit this park with boardshorts.
I'm assuming that it shuts down by end of September due to lack of demand and doesn't fire up until May/June.

I'm also assuming that most cable parks around the country rely on being open year round to keep the costs down and maintain profitablity.

One more concern, when it is windy in the summer time, will the park need to shut down for safety concerns?

would love to try it, doubt I would buy a season pass or anything like that but would love to hit it if it were convenient and inexpensive. and no lines.

regarding it being an eyesore, I think it would give the waterfront a much needed facelift. get rid of the crackhouse and whatever else is right there.
yeah the puget sound can feel cold, but not much difference between summer and winter. just need to dress for success. I think oregon coast is much colder.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 05, 11 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
Is the water still warm now?

I am still very comfortable in a 3/2. Been paddling my surfboard around to get in shape for Winter on the Oregon coast.

stringy wrote:
I just don't see the demand for this park when the water is cold.

You should spend a winter in Hood River! We winch Mar-Nov. Pretty much from the time we get bored with Snowboarding, till the snow starts falling again. It's really not that cold, and if you had a heated queue area it's even less cold. Smile

stringy wrote:
I'm also assuming that most cable parks around the country rely on being open year round to keep the costs down and maintain profitablity.

Most parks have to buy land with water rights, dig a huge hole, and then keep it full. The unique situation we have with the boat basin should keep the TOC down.

stringy wrote:
One more concern, when it is windy in the summer time, will the park need to shut down for safety concerns?
Not at all, why would you think that?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 05, 11 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

You should spend a winter in Hood River! We winch Mar-Nov. Pretty much from the time we get bored with Snowboarding, till the snow starts falling again. It's really not that cold, and if you had a heated queue area it's even less cold. Smile

I came down to HR about a half dozen times last winter to visit friends. Never saw any activity anywhere near water when I came down. Not saying it doesn't happen.
ummm, let's see, last winter you headed to maui for most of the winter. I'm sure there were others that picked up to warmer climates. Seriously do you really expect this to be running year long or at least 6 months out of the year. Hell yeah I'll bring my drysuit down and hit that.

Forrest wrote:

stringy wrote:

Not at all, why would you think that?

Just an assumption. I see cranes in Seattle that become risks once the wind rises above a certain point. I also see chairlifts at ski resorts shut down due to high winds. I understand that these cable towers are secured and might not even be an issue. I just know it gets kind of windy at the sandbar in the summertime.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 06, 11 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Yes, I expect this thing to run so long as I have a few people willing to ride it with me. We have a core group of guys here that rally when it's time to go winching.

Winching is no where near as easy as just showing up and riding cable. To winch you have to setup the features, setup the winch, drag the rope out 500-1000 feet for each hit, and spend a ton of time standing around waiting for your turn. All this while trying not to get shutdown by the Sheriff who claims it's an illegal activity on the waterfront.

So yes, I do think it will be available to ride so long as there are people wanting to ride it. Mostly because it's easy, show up, suit up, ride, and be done. This is something I'm stating now, as a demand, and Will has said in a meeting that they'd open the cable if they had a group of people wanting to ride.

The temperature doesn't really matter anymore. We have heated wetsuits, drysuits, and potential for a heated starting dock. Maybe even a sauna for a quick warm up? Either way, the possibilities for us to have a cable that is conducive to cold water riding is a reality if we just get the suggestions into Will.

BTW, The wind won't affect it. The whole time I was in Texas this spring it was blowing/gusting 25-30 almost everyday at the cable.

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 06, 11 11:42 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="stringy"]
/quote]

for the most part even when it's nuking the boat basin is in such a big wind shadow that it never gets too choppy to a point where riding wouldn't be bearable, obviously the glassier the better but people to stop kiting because it gets "too windy"

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 23, 11 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

does anyone have a status update of how this project is playing out?
Haven't heard any chatter in a while and just wondering if its moving forward or not. It would be great to get an update from the developer as to progress.

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 26, 11 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Ive seen some trucks down at the site
looked like surveyors and maybe plumbing
they have a sign up saying that the office/retail space is for lease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: