Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

to everyone in the gorge
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostSun Jun 05, 05 8:07 am    to everyone in the gorge Reply with quote

do not pay the people at the booth at the sand bar

the port has no right to charge a recreational fee on land that has been zoned as industrial

the city has told them to stop, but they won't until we quit paying

my girl and many others have just been driving right by it with no problems

sucks i payed my fee, but i will be contacting the port tomm to get a refund

if they don't give it back, i will organize everyone who has payed the fifty, find a lawyer and get it back----with interest

fight the power Twisted Evil

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jun 05, 05 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

I don't think the City is really trying to stop them are they?

PostSun Jun 05, 05 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

fight the power
time to rise up
dont stand for this shit

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostSun Jun 05, 05 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

Rumor I heard from Cory Roeseler is that the fee is illegal due to zoning and permit issues... Sounds like some local HR people are pretty steamed about the whole thing.

I have also been just blowing past the gate and I don't think the toll girls really give a darn...

Bam

PostMon Jun 06, 05 6:35 am     Reply with quote

all my info comes from cory and city council member
ann frodel

i told several people to drive right thru
they did
and nothing happened

PostMon Jun 06, 05 8:52 am     Reply with quote

If industrial zoning prohibits the port from charging a recreation fee for kiters, does this zoning also prohibit the operation of recreational businesses (such as kite schools) on the industrial property? Are we only allowed to manufacture widgets there, or can we charge people money to teach them how to kite?

PostMon Jun 06, 05 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

I'd like to know what DIM wit laid out the new parking lot.
Where are RVs, cars with trailers etc. supposed to park?

Gee then there's the dirt mound upwind that nicely covers all vehicle with dust & dirt on any windy day.

What IDIOITS!!!

PostMon Jun 06, 05 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
the fee is illegal due to zoning and permit issues...

so you don't see them simply rezoning the land?!?

PostMon Jun 06, 05 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:
the fee is illegal due to zoning and permit issues...

so you don't see them simply rezoning the land?!?

That would be a dream come true. The city is the only agency with authority to rezone the land owned by the Port. A very large number of people (including myself) have been working incredibly hard for more than 10 years to try to get all or most of the waterfront zoned for public open space. If the Port wants to build hotels or factories, that's fine with us, but these things should be built south of Port Way Ave, with the entire strip between Port Way and the waterfront left as public open space, including the spit. There was a citizen initiative in Hood River about 1 1/2 years ago, and 67% of the public wants to have the entire waterfront zoned for public open space. Despite this overwhelming majority, the Port has been fighting the zoning in court with help from groups such as Oregonians in Action. The City of Hood River has been pretty good about trying to implement this zoning (or at least some compromise) but the Port is making it REALLY difficult! Ah... small town politics!

To be fair to the Port, the Port's constituents are a superset of the City's constituents. It's clear what city voters want, but if you look at the larger port district, the message isn't so clear.

Spencer

mdoke

Since 03 May 2005
1 Posts

PostMon Jun 06, 05 1:50 pm    Port Fee Reply with quote

Hey Kiteboarders:
There seems to be plenty of confusion about the Spit fee.
The Port did spend $20,000 for road improvements, as requested by many kiteboarders and at least one kiteboard school. I hope you recognize that this improvement enhances your access to the sandbar, and that the Port's tax base (one-third of a penny per $1,000 assessed property value) could not bear the cost.
This is not a zoning issue, but a responsibility issue. The Spit was deteriorating because of a high use it was not designed for. It is a river dike, not a road. Continued erosion of this dike would have meant the end of kiteboarding access to the sandbar.
This $2 fee will never generate enough money for the $20,000 improvement completed this year, but it will help future maintenance so that you can enjoy kiteboading for seasons to come.
In year's past, various informal kiteboarding groups have tried to organize to speak with a consensus about how the Port can help kiteboading grow. There are some very real opportunities for kiteboarders to secure their future in Hood River that go way beyond a $2 fee. Hood River Event Site did not just materialize; it is the result of a committed group, Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association, working with the Port of Hood River. If the Port had a kiteboarding group to work with that respresented the views of many, you might be surprised about the results. It worked with CGWA and the Event Site.
In case you didn't notice, the Port just donated a $1.7 million piece of ground to the city for a waterfront park. That's a substantial example of the Port's commitment to waterfront recreation.
You can focus on a $2 fee needed to ensure your access to the sandbar. If I were a kiteboarder, however, I'd be trying to figure out ways to take advantage of new park development and working with the agencies that provided my access opportunities to begin with. I'm a hiker instead, and I happily pay my trail head fees to ensure I can continue to enjoy Columbia Gorge trails. Why should I ask someone else to pay for my access?
Mike Doke
Port of Hood River Marketing Manager

PostMon Jun 06, 05 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

While I still feel that the spit fee should be $25, not $50, I find myself in some agreement with Mike Doke on this. No, I do not like the way in which the imporvements were done, nor do I feel like there is truly more parking available.

But, I would rather open a positive dialogue with the Port for a possible reduction in fees in the future, and/or future improvements that truly enhance the spit, rather than start a "war."

Eric
Hood River

PostMon Jun 06, 05 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

O.K. Eric, you're right. Working together in a positive way is much better than war.

Spencer

PostMon Jun 06, 05 4:31 pm    Re: Port Fee Reply with quote

mdoke wrote:
Hey Kiteboarders:
The Port did spend $20,000 for road improvements, as requested by many kiteboarders and at least one kiteboard school. I hope you recognize that this improvement enhances your access to the sandbar, and that the Port's tax base (one-third of a penny per $1,000 assessed property value) could not bear the cost.
This is not a zoning issue, but a responsibility issue. The Spit was deteriorating because of a high use it was not designed for. It is a river dike, not a road. Continued erosion of this dike would have meant the end of kiteboarding access to the sandbar.
This $2 fee will never generate enough money for the $20,000 improvement completed this year, but it will help future maintenance so that you can enjoy kiteboading for seasons to come.
In year's past, various informal kiteboarding groups have tried to organize to speak with a consensus about how the Port can help kiteboading grow. There are some very real opportunities for kiteboarders to secure their future in Hood River that go way beyond a $2 fee. Hood River Event Site did not just materialize; it is the result of a committed group, Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association, working with the Port of Hood River. If the Port had a kiteboarding group to work with that respresented the views of many, you might be surprised about the results. It worked with CGWA and the Event Site.
In case you didn't notice, the Port just donated a $1.7 million piece of ground to the city for a waterfront park. That's a substantial example of the Port's commitment to waterfront recreation.
You can focus on a $2 fee needed to ensure your access to the sandbar. If I were a kiteboarder, however, I'd be trying to figure out ways to take advantage of new park development and working with the agencies that provided my access opportunities to begin with. I'm a hiker instead, and I happily pay my trail head fees to ensure I can continue to enjoy Columbia Gorge trails. Why should I ask someone else to pay for my access?
Mike Doke

Hey Mike,

You missed one question in your reply.
Which idiot laid out the new parking lot that leaves no room for rv's or cars with campers?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 06, 05 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Mike,
Thanks for coming on and telling us the other side of the story. I guess maybe the main beef people have is not being involved in the whole process, which like you mention is hard to do when there is no real formal organization of Kiteboarders.

PostMon Jun 06, 05 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with mike... It is amazing that people are so bent over $2. That said, it would be nice to see kiteboarders get together with port to discuss upgrades. It would be great to get a food vendor or 2 out there. I hope that no one bitching about the $2 bucks voted for the multnomah county tax...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 06, 05 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

that's a great idea actually... damn I think I'd pay $10 for a friggin burrito I am so hungry after a sesh somedays, and that gas station seems like a million miles away when your that hungry.

$4 a burrito, $1 goes to the Port to upkeep the site.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 06, 05 6:23 pm    Re: Port Fee Reply with quote

mdoke wrote:
Hey Kiteboarders:
Mike Doke

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=75

Yet our good friends to the North have managed to improve their spit with no access fees.

cheers,

jp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: