Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Prineville Res?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
corey4x4man

Since 13 Jun 2011
134 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jul 13, 11 6:07 am    Prineville Res? Reply with quote

Anyone ever try to Kite out at Prineville reservoir? I am headed out there for the weekend for a camping trip and was thinking bout taking the kites....

Any info on kite size, location, weather foercasts would be great!

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 13, 11 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Watch out for the rattlesnakes!!!!!

Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
67 Posts

PostWed Jul 13, 11 7:03 am    light air in the afternoon Reply with quote

We lived in Prineville years ago and sailed a Hobie on the lake. Mornings belonged to the skiers and drag boats. The wind would typically come up in the afternoon, which ended the skiing and the noise. Usually light, maybe 10 or so. and do watch out for the snakes if you go to less used area. Good luck.

corey4x4man

Since 13 Jun 2011
134 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jul 13, 11 7:15 am     Reply with quote

yea kinda what i was thinking on the wind... i don't think my 12m will be enough to do the job...

PDXF

Since 10 Sep 2008
116 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 13, 11 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Bring your 12m and a smaller kite. Before I started kiting I used to get very annoyed with the wind there, now wind is my friend.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jul 13, 11 10:56 am     Reply with quote

let me know how it turns out! I have a project out there in the coming weeks.Would love to take my kite stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 13, 11 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Definitely bring the 12m and the biggest board you have. All lakes want to give it up if you give them a chance. Think how you'll feel if you're there without your kite and it's blowing 15...that would suck!

Go get some.

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 13, 11 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

When I first started kiting a few years ago before lessons I tried Prineville Res. And it didnt work out that well. Looking back it was only because of my lack of experiance, I wouldnt go out of my way to kite there but if you will be there anyway the wind often blows in the afternoon 12m style and if you can drift launch then Definately take your gear if you are headed that way.

NOAA usually has fairly accurate forecast

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 13, 11 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
Definitely bring the 12m and the biggest board you have. All lakes want to give it up if you give them a chance. Think how you'll feel if you're there without your kite and it's blowing 15...that would suck!

Go get some.

Exactly what he said. If you have room for it, why not bring it. Another lake I've always wanted to try is Paulina Lake, east side of the lake by the boat launch/lagoon area on the obsidian blackish/gray lined beach. Don't worry about the obsidian, it is just like worn beach glass; nice and smooth. W/NW winds make for on-shore/side-shore wind. Twice I've been up there wishing I had taken my big kite and board. A foil would be the perfect weapon. Dress warm thought, that water is very chilly in case you go down.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Nov 27, 18 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

corey4x4man

Since 13 Jun 2011
134 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Stoked

PostThu Jul 14, 11 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

Yes I am taking the gear and we will see if i get lucky enough to ride!! We camp up on the far end of the lake by no wake zone so i sure I will have to make some scouting trips to see if there is any wind from time to time!

thanks for all the pointers

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 14, 11 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

there is a good launch when the water comes down. it is a sandy beach on your right after you pass the state park and just before you get to the entrance to the far east boat ramp. I am taking my stuff next weekend to see if I can catch a session. best of luck

corey4x4man

Since 13 Jun 2011
134 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Stoked

PostMon Jul 18, 11 6:43 am     Reply with quote

well, the kite stayed in the bag all weekend...... oh well..

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Nov 22, 18 10:59 am     Reply with quote

I'm interested to give Prineville a go on a hydrofoil and 12 mono. What's the best wind direction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: