Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiteboarding access at Rufus
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostWed Jun 01, 05 9:19 am     Reply with quote

So basically, other failures in your gear caused you to rely on the last resort system. Lucky that did not fail too.

Safety lies in your judgement not in your gear. -Cause "it has a mind of its own"? How about it was designed by someone who did not have a mind of their own.

PostWed Jun 01, 05 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Safety lies in your judgement not in your gear.

I couldn’t agree with you more

In my case, the gear was new.

The lesson is you can never be 100% sure that a safety will function when you need it to or deploy when you do not want it to.

Shit happens fast in heavy winds which is why is good to have and be practice at back up plans.

cheers,

penxa

The gear was new.

The lesson is you can never be 100% sure that a safety will function when you need it to or deploy when you do not want it to.

Shit happens fast in heavy winds which is why is good to have and be practice at back up plans.

cheers,

penxa

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 01, 05 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by Hein on Sat Jun 04, 05 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jun 01, 05 9:44 am     Reply with quote

The people who are going to get this place closed are those that continue to launch on the river side and to not utilize the cove, or as Hein suggested move way upwind to the other "cove". Our group camped right on the perch above the swim cove and there were no issues between kiters and non-kites at all over the three days I was there. Everyone down there is extremely polite to each to each other and the kids and non-kiting adults were all very responsive and helpful with getting kites launched and landed. Good sharing seemed to be in full practice.

I was out taking photos and saw most of the upwind carnage... It was a combination of a bunch of small things going wrong that ended up turning into something that could have been extremely bad. Bottom line is that that area at and just below the west rockpile is a STUPID place to land and launch and incidents will continue to happen there no matter how "careful" people think they are being. Personally I will NEVER launch up over on the other side and feel the wind is just as effected by the upwind rock pile as the point.

Bam...

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by Hein on Sat Jun 04, 05 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:14 am     Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bam Bam on this one. You should be launching upwind of the western most rock pile or down by the swim cove. My group of friends have been riding at Rufus for a number of years now and we alway launch off the point of the swim beach and never have had a problem with any kids or non kiters. I have asked a number of people if they would move for a few minutes so that we could launch a couple of kites and after explaining the dangers of the kite and lines to the folks at the beach they were all happy to move out of the way and are now educated about the dangers of this sport. We have run into a group of fishermen that were there before us and they did not want to move so we packed up our gear and went upwind above the rock pile and launched there. No problems, we all just need to communicate better with each other and the non kiters out there.

Shit happens and shit rolls downhill and downwind so don't shit on your neighbors!

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by Hein on Sat Jun 04, 05 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by Hein on Sat Jun 04, 05 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:37 am     Reply with quote

First we need to worry about the safety of the bystanders and second about what is the best place for us to launch. The spot upwind of the rock pile does have the cleanest wind, but I have seen a number of runaway kites from that area tumbling down the rocky road. The rocks at rufus are slick and if you leave a kite unattended for even a second it can get away and be tumbling down the beach. It seems like it would be much safer to have everyone pumping up, launching and landing down by the point in the windshadow. You may have to ask people to move, but at least if a kite gets away it will go flying out into the water and not just tumbling down the road ready to take out the first good samaritan that tries to help by grabbing a hand full of lines and looses a couple of fingers. As a group we need to come to a consensus and pick a spot. If that turns out to be upwind of the rock pile or downwind on the point we should all be launching and landing at the same location and not take over the whole area.
Bandito

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:46 am     Reply with quote

That's fuel for the fire!

I can hear you say it:

Do you mind moving your kids while we launch so they don't get killed.

Nice thought to leave them with!

See you upwind of the rock piles.

Hein,

You must be ridding with a bunch of idiots if that is how they would go about explaining the dangers of our sport to someone. The folks that I have asked to move involved much more of a conversation about kiting and how it can be dangerous, not just a "get the hell out of my way or your kids might get killed" statement.

I guess I won't be seeing you donw at the point where I'll be launching.

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:55 am     Reply with quote

"If you have issues with your "shit" blowing down the beach,
then you should not kite at sufur."

Hein,

Are you saying that you have never had a kite get away from you? If you are you might want to rethink that statement because I've seen you loose a kite with people on the beach down wind of you.

This shouldn't turn into a pissing match, but we all need to stop for a minute and figure out what is best for the bystanders and best to keep access to Rufus.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 01, 05 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 01, 05 11:09 am     Reply with quote

boostytwistyspinnygrabby

PostWed Jun 01, 05 12:40 pm    rufus access Reply with quote

Well, I live in Rufus. And I say NO KIDS AND NO WIVES! Leave that crap at home and we won't have these problems. Furthermore, the only time we ever have any kids here or problems like that is when you family kiters kooks bring them. You should all go to the guppy ponds of the world and stay there. Boosty OUT. Twisted Evil

PostWed Jun 01, 05 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Hein,

I wasn't trying to put you on the spot, I was just trying to make the point that shit does happen and we need to keep it to a minimum. As for the launch at Rufus, if as a kite community we decide to launch upwind of the rock pile I'll be there with you, but I'm not sure that is the best spot. We really need to list the pros and cons of each spot and then decide from there.

Bandito

PostWed Jun 01, 05 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

No offense taken, Banditoman.

I've had a sesh at the bar and I'm
much happier now.

Still think the the preferred launch
is upwind of the rock piles.

Unless we take the cue from the mayor
of Rufus and leave the wives and kiddies
at home.

Hey rufus mayor, think we can get a referendum
on the ballot to ban kids and wifes. Girlfriends
are OK, right. Especially if they bring tacos.

-Hein

Skip Windy

PostWed Jun 01, 05 7:08 pm    rufus Reply with quote

I agree with Boosty 100%! Lets ban all those squalking squaws and chattering children before we start anything between us BRO'S. They ruined the scene at the Hatch 15 years ago and then at the Wall after that. Now they want to move in on Rufus. Don't bring your precious babies to a kiteboarding zone. It's time to join the cruise boat dinsney land set. You had the babies so hang up your kites and live with it. Everybody do what they want and help each other out when we can. I also agree with Hein about the best launch being upwind of the rock pile. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: