Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gearhart kiteable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chancho

PostSun May 29, 05 9:28 pm    Gearhart kiteable? Reply with quote

Howdy- I'm going to be in Gearhart this summer for about a week around fourth of July- is it kiteable? What can I expect for wind around then? I'm from Imperial Beach in San Diego- I'm pretty much assuming I won't be needing my 20 and 16 (everyday workhorses down here). Thanks for any info.

PostMon May 30, 05 6:53 am     Reply with quote

I am not a kiter but I do wind forecasts for the Oregon coasts. As a windsurfer I have never had enough wind to sail when we visit Gearhart. The north coast is generally lighter than most of the Oregon coast so I would bring your big kites. I am sure the local kiters can give you more specific advice. Have fun!

George McLean
www.nwweather.com

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 30, 05 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Yes, in fact I had a great session there 2 days ago on my 20M. Bring your big kites for sure. In fact bring everything cause you never know what you'll get.

Manzanita is not far from Gerhart and often has a notch or 2 more. But you can do downwinders all around there even if it's light.

Contact Tony at www.summerinseaside.com for details when you come up or Josh at Cleanline surf shop.

PostMon May 30, 05 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I thought it'd be blowing 20+ everyday- I'll definitely bring all the big gear then- I'm also planning on hitting Southern Oregon Coast as well around Bandon- I'm just going to bring it all from 8m to 20 and 132cm to 169cm- from 2mm short sleeve to 5mm hooded- why not?

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostMon May 30, 05 11:38 pm     Reply with quote

If you are going to stay strictly on the Oregon coast, you will not need your 2mm wetsuit. Water temps should be somewhere around 53 degrees so you will need your thicker suit.

Around that same week I will be in Dana Point, San Clemente area for a wedding.

I am in Spain right now so I do not know what the conditions have been like recently. Below, in my sig, is my weather station for the area. I live just north of Gearhart.

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue May 31, 05 1:24 am     Reply with quote

This last weekend the coast was light, 16-20M and from the S, SW, and W. Hoping the Norwesters kick in soon, this waiting is killin me.

chancho

PostTue May 31, 05 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

You Oregon guys definitely have your sh$t together- killer weather site- I had a Weathernet station ran out of my classroom here in Imperial Beach for a few years- too many problems and a school remodel ended that - now I just watch a certain palm tree outside my window. Water's warming up here- not much wind in SD but I was up in Pismo this weekend and it blew 18-20. I'm really getting fired up for this Oregon trip- friends have a beach house in Gearhart and they also own the lot next to it so I'm going put my camper on it for four or five days- the place is right on the beach- maybe I'll see you there. Look for white F250, Caution/Liquid force kites and cold beers courtesy of Californian neighbor.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 01, 05 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

"Howdy- I'm going to be in Gearhart this summer for about a week around fourth of July- is it kiteable? "

Does bigfoot sh#t in the woods? Razz

Yes, Gearheart works great, but bring your big kites as well as your smaller ones in case it doesn't blow at Gearhear/seaside area. There is youngs bay 20 minutes north (Costco, Fred Meyer and the booze store on 101 going north) combine a trip. Youngs bay/Ft. Stevens/ parking lot D is NE to E wind, best on in-coming slack and/or outgoing or if NW wind do the 3.5 mile downwinder to the ship wreck from the south Jetty at the mouth of the Columbia--easy downwinder with two cars or car and bike. Actually one can ride all the way to gearheart which is probably 12 miles downwind, so more with the out and back. One cannot drive on the beach at gearheart, but there is 10th street at the N end of Gearheart that has ingress/egress onto the beach where one can drive North 12 m iles or so on the beach to the south jetty. Just like state road/25mph and don't ass-out on the beach and or drive over the limit in gearheart the cops will be all over you. If it is blowing west, then you can drive hwy 30 to jones beach, its probably 45 to hr away from gearheart and blows in the afternoon and evening. There is Manzanita to the South of Gearhear and is probably 45 minutes from Seaside with no traffic. The winds there are stronger typically. . .

http://newweb.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/marine.php?marine=pzz250

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KAST.html

http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=DMNO3

http://www.pacifier.com/~hmrn/wx/seaside.html

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/ORZ001.php?warncounty=ORC007&city=Astoria

All gearheart related.

chancho

PostThu Jun 02, 05 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks again- I will bring all kites as well as my 7'0" rounded pin and my 9'6" longboard- The place I'm staying at is right on the beach- when I was there (four years ago, pre-kiting) there was a path mown through the dunes and grass right down to the beach- and I remember it was frickin' blowing the whole time- I'll probably just kite there unless I see other kites. Thanks for great info- look for me around July 1-7!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: