Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

I love dogs, but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostTue May 24, 05 6:40 am    I love dogs, but... Reply with quote

I think folks need to stop taking them to the spit. More than one dog leads to dog play which results in torn kites and sad kiters. Last two days I have been at the spit I have seen two kites torn by playing dogs.

Eric

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 05 6:47 am     Reply with quote

I dont have a problem with dogs at the spit, but I definantly do have a

problem with them when they lead to torn kites. Maybe dogs that arent "Kite

Safe" should be made to stay in the parking lot. I know some dogs that go

out of their way to avoid getting near kites. Or now that i think of it here is a

even better solution. If your dog isnt trained to be around kites, and doesnt

know not to step on them then dont bring your dog to the sandbar. If your

dog knows not to step on kites and lines and such then your welcome to bring

him down. Just know that if your dog rips someones kite then you are the

one liable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 24, 05 7:07 am     Reply with quote

I must agree. I love dogs, but its not fair to the dogs roaming unsupervised and then kiters get mad because the dogs are thrashing on kites. And its not really fair or good for the dog to be stuck in a car either.

I was a victim of a newbie's/beginner's dog on Sunday. The dog was playing with another dog and it decided to run and jump on and over my kite to get at the other unleashed dog. Well four claw rips later. . . and thankful no bladder holes? . . .

I just went up to the people an told them what transpired and made it clear that I wanted no compension other than passing on good kiting etiquette, which is leave the dogs off the beach. My kite is a couple of yrs old and sail tape will fix the problem, that is why I didn't get mad--if it was newer or had more damage, I would of been perturbed and probably pursued some $$$.

kiting shouldn't be an opportunity to time crunch a couple of things: meaning getting a kite session in and getting your dog some unleashed, unsupervised exercise.

Another encounter last Friday at the SB. I was coming in and I couldn't land my kite because I had a dog barking and showing its teeth at me all the while I'm trying to land my kite before the gusts. The dog was protective of its owner's stuff and the location of the beach. The dog was cool once the owner stepped in to chill out the dog, but this shouldn't happen.

Is this fair to the dog, exposing it to dangers and causing other dangers to kiters on the beach? I don't think so. And its not considerate to the other kiters either. Please leave the dogs out of the lauching zones or if your going to bring them down, put them on a leash and or obey the local rules.

Hope everyone gets some of this hot sunny weather this week!!

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue May 24, 05 9:46 am     Reply with quote

i love dogs as well, just not when they pee on my kite. i have had this happen twice now and am getting tired of it.

never had a kite ripped by a dogs claws but, i would sure hope the owner would pony up for the repair and the devaluation of the kite.

kt

PostTue May 24, 05 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

they should get a cop down there to keep everyone in line too

PostTue May 24, 05 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

If a dog is peeing on your kite, quickly wip it out whilst he/she is still in the act and pee on them. Be sure to aim for the eyes, I'll bet the dog never pees on a kite again.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue May 24, 05 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
If a dog is peeing on your kite, quickly wip it out whilst he/she is still in the act and pee on them. Be sure to aim for the eyes, I'll bet the dog never pees on a kite again.

If Bam can get good pix of this I'll wet my pants laughing!

Ian

PostWed May 25, 05 7:20 am     Reply with quote

I know did everyone see the cop down there on Sunday. WTF is that, there doesnt need to be cops down at the sandbar. If cops going down to the sandbar is going to happen every day, then they are going to start getting a lot of shit. God, screw the port all they did is ruin something that we was already awesome. Why did they have to fuck around with the sandbar. FUCK THEM

PostWed May 25, 05 7:49 am     Reply with quote

This peeing thing could be good negative reinforcement for the dangler. Imagine five guys walking over and peeing on his kite when he comes in. That would send a message[/quote]

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed May 25, 05 7:55 am     Reply with quote

not sure if my aim would be good enough, dogs move pretty fast but, it's a darn good idea.

kt

mark

PostWed May 25, 05 9:54 am     Reply with quote

whats with the dogs running wild on the spit. I saw a dog take a huge dump right in the water. right where everyone is taking off and landing. Are there no leash laws? Its unsanitary and not fair to the rest of us that leave there dogs at home.

PostThu May 26, 05 7:22 am     Reply with quote

Called the port of hood river. There is a leash law during the day. Early am and dusk dogs can run free otherwise they must be leashed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: