Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

sauvies summertime madness...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue May 10, 05 3:39 pm    sauvies summertime madness... Reply with quote

Last year at Sauvies, I watched a kite came down on a 3 year old boy...it missed him by inches and hit the overturned boat he was playing next to instead. We have all probably seen a close call at Sauvies that involves people milling around looking at the kites or families sitting in the launch area. It would seem unthinkable that anyone could take Sauvies away, especially the bunch of us from Portland that like the short drive, but stranger things have happened. You probably just need one vendetta-happy lawyer who needs a kite surgically removed from his forehead to commit himself to shutting the whole thing down.

The question is, should we be proactive and put up signs that warn people they are walking into a launch area and to be mindful of the kites? Of course we can’t put a ‘claim’ on the launch area using signs, but it might reduce the chance of someone getting hurt, which is bound to happen as more people take up kiteboarding as a sport. I have no idea what has worked in other high traffic areas with using signs, etc. ... if you know something that might work, or know we can't do anything at all, please post...

Photo by kiteboardTom
 Photo by kiteboardTom  0_490_1075568482.jpg 

Last edited by colby on Tue May 10, 05 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue May 10, 05 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

hey colby,

who runs the sauvies beach, is it fish and wildlife? maybe we should ask them for advice so that they see we are concerned about safety for others as well as ourselves.

do they have an office on sauvies or a web site we can send questions to?

kt

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue May 10, 05 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

I see Fish and Wildlife signs everywhere, but can't be sure who is the right channel to go through. someone here will probably know...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 10, 05 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

I think there are a few things we can do:

- Stay above (upwind) of the overturned boat, there is tons of beach and room on the water upwind of the boat. The wind up there is better anyway.

- If you see "civilians" parked in "our" area, just go up and mention to them that it might not be the safest place. Usually a few near misses gives the people the idea, but it shouldn't have to come to that.

- Don't get unnecessarily close to shore when "civilians" are around.

- Never launch when its ridiculously light or unstable wind. Most of the incidents where people have crashed their kites on the beach near non-kiters have been because of this.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. I think the most important thing is to be mindful of non-kiters. We can bash ourselves up as much as we want, but all it will take is one little kid getting decapitated to ban this sport straight out of Oregon. Confused

pacifichigh

PostTue May 10, 05 6:33 pm    Staying Alive Reply with quote

I think that we all need to come together and form a kiteboarding association like in the bay area. The group could help preserve access and add legitimacy to our obsession. If we step it up and act before some kook or law-dog threatens our access we are that much more ahead of the game.

Hope you guys are all getting in some good sessions. I'm 5 weeks post-op from shoulder surgery and looking forward to riding next month!

Shay

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue May 10, 05 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

Those are good ideas pkh and I really like Colby's idea of being proactive too before it's too late. I've seen some near kite-mares also. Could it be that we try to be proactive and then they (those who govern the beach) decide to ban us because we mention the potential danger? Hope not..

I think the beach we KB at is called Walton Beach.

BTW-The link below is a 360 view of the beach down the road Dano likes to kite...hmmm wonder why he spends so much time near THAT beach? http://www.orcoba.org/uploads/Collins%20beach.mov

Sauvie_sign_1.jpg 

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue May 10, 05 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

completely agree it's time!

Here is the Bay Area site...

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/home.html

they have some great posts as well...check out this post to people just starting out:

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/about879.html

Maybe we integrate the message boards into the NW Association Website or vice-versa, especially since the site is becoming well known? or setup a new site and link to this one....Phil?

PostTue May 10, 05 6:54 pm    you can Reply with quote

keep eliminating my posts about ASI but it is the truth. They all launch kites away from water thus creating a lofting possibility and they all walk up wind with their kites dangling over many many innocent people trying to enjoy a day at the beach. These guys are irresponsible themselves but sadly are also responsible for teaching very bad and dangerous habit to beginners. ASI needs to take more responsibility in their own back yard.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 10, 05 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

guest - why not take the time to create a login and identify yourself rather than flaming people out from the shadows? I'm fine with a little anonymity, but you will at least need to be polite.

Also that launching style is pretty much employed by everyone at SI.

on the assosciation - I'm happy to host whatever on this server, I got tons of space and its free, so might as well. For the development of the website itself, if someone with some web skills wants to step to it... guess we don't need much.

PostTue May 10, 05 7:08 pm    you prove my point Reply with quote

pkh,

i will take the time to provide less anonymity when i get a 2nd, but when you say that the launching style is accepted proves my point as those guys and those they teach are the biggest influencers out there. just bc it is accepted practice does not make it right. walking up the beach with your kite flying over bystanders is pretty much accepted too. it will continue to be that way until someone kid is killed by one of these idiots and then sauvies is closed to all. why not hold those responsible accountable. everyone there knows that these guys are at best irrespobsible... not a bash from the shadows simply the truth

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue May 10, 05 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

Have you talked to the guys that you are referring to? Are you indicating that only the "ASI" guys are doing these things? Are you sure everyone that walks up the beach with their kite flying at the beach side of the wind window purchased their gear at ASI? Where did you buy your gear? Where did you take lessons? Are you an instructor? If so, it is your responsiblity to pass on safe kiting practices to those that are endangering others or themselves. Be part of the solution not the problem.... Exclamation

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue May 10, 05 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

Can't speak for the ASI guys but the reason I walk my kite up the beach towards shore is because it's easier. Since it's side on wind from the north it helps pull you up the beach. I think that Phils idea of staying upwind of the boat is good since the beach there is less inhabited with better wind. I'm all for organizing and getting some sort of certification. Organizations in Chicago and the bay area have been active in keeping access and in Chicagos case, actually getting bans rescinded. I've seen too many close calls at Sauvie and know it's only a matter of time before a ban is enforced. PASA works with some groups to provide insurance as well which would be a good step in proving that the Sauvies crew is concerned about the welfare of all users of the beach. I would be happy to pitch in 20 or 30 bucks a year so that we could keep our spot.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed May 11, 05 6:54 am     Reply with quote

Look at the situation in SoCal, kiteable beaches are a commodity as a result of closures. Tom makes a good point, but I think everyone, including the Fish & Game realizes the dangers associated with kiting. I put a post on Bay Area Kiting asking about how they went about getting organized. Remember the 6 P's- Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Fair Winds

Shay

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Jun 06, 05 2:23 pm    association... Reply with quote

the topic of organizing an association for kiteboarding has come up again in regards to the fee imposed at the sandbar in Hood River...maybe we can get something rolling for Oregon. It appears an association was started back in 2003 as Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association. It doesn't look active...does someone know otherwise?

Link to registry status and registered officers with the state of Oregon:
http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=987639&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

PostMon Jun 06, 05 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

The Gorge Kiteboarding Association does sort of still exist, but it is not very active. There is a discussion group set up for GKA on Yahoo if anyone is interested in trying to revive the group. See the group info below.

Spencer

TO START SENDING messages to members of this group, simply send email
to cgkite@yahoogroups.com

If you do not wish to belong to the cgkite group, you
can unsubscribe by replying to this message, or by sending an email to
cgkite-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

If you would like to learn more about the cgkite group,
please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cgkite

PostMon Jun 06, 05 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

I think some association is needed to protect kiting and make the access fair to all.

The dike on Sauvies is most likely Army Corps of Engineers property, not sure what that makes the beach???

As for ASI, I dont think everyone on the beach looks to the 'guys' from ASI as the all knowning powers of kiting. I have seen some guys I know work at Gorge to the same things. I think we need a general change in how things are done at SI rather than blaming a few of the better riders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: