Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

a few more action pics from the sandbar...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon May 09, 05 5:12 pm    Poster Nice Guy Reply with quote

Give me a break...

Joby has great style and is a damn good kiter. He is definitely not a crowd kiter, and I have to work to get good shots of him since he likes to go out and do his own thing. I have never seeh Joby ever come close to crowding people on the water, and he is totally respecful of everyone out there...

What gives with giving him grief?

Hey Colby, I got the grab... Good enough shot that you won't be seeing it on this forum! Sorry about a lack of kiting photo's since I was out pole boarding at the wall on Friday and helping a friend learn most of the day on Saturday... If anyone is interested I have some pretty sweet shots of guys going large on sail gear and some pretty cool shots of Joe kiting in 30knots!

Cheers, Bam

PostMon May 09, 05 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

Regards,

Bam bam,

Please note, jpeg n3. was your refference picture for my "crowd kiting" question.

I might say what's with the grief shutter bug? but I won't you've too many plus's in the way of nice photos.

n3,,my man, what's your take on that scene?

Thanks
fo

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 09, 05 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
Can only help you with a board. Don't tell anyone but with my board you actually don't need a kite but that would look kinda funny. -Hein

Just think when the two are combined, I might not even need wind. Very Happy

Seriously though, Hein makes a versatile board. Lightwind, overpowered, no problem. Compared to my LF Element 128, the Hein 124 has way better lightwind... and its 4cm shorter and 2cm narrower.

Sandbar stuff... its just like Maui, we got our "Hey look at me" spot, but I think we all like it. And unlike Maui our photo op spot is downwind of everybody, not upwind.

That said I'd say there are a huge contingent of kiters that don't even kite at the sandbar anymore, unless its early season or morning before the crowds show up.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 09, 05 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

That's better,

Thanks Dax,,

Ya-ll crowd kite because "I think we all like to"

Er,, thanks Dax,, that's better,,,

Beats the flat water story anyway...

The crowd kiting at my spot is out of hand, I have to time my entry to the beach,,sometimes it takes three or four tacks to find an opening.

It just sucks,,

if you're in the lineup I guess it's less of an issue, but I come from up wind and have to cross it at 90 degrees,,,

dip shits and fuc-wads comming and going,,,none of them,,, I mean none of them look upwind,, they're too busy planing some dip shit f-en move,,

I've about had it, In fact... Bla bla bla

some things are best kept as a surprise,,wink

Thanks for comming clean
fo

PostMon May 09, 05 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

Fo, Come out to Stevenson sometime. Try to come in and land your kite while the Dangler is on the water. He WILL be in your way doing his signature dangler jump. He is a huge pain in our ass. Other than him, the others watch out for kiters launching and landing.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 09, 05 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

That's good news,

The others being watchful I mean,,

We had it good at my spot for years, 10 kiters total, all of us old hands at water sport, a crowded day would be 6 kites on the water....

Now? now it's looking grim, more new faces a lot less talent and the show off thing is just out of hand...

We're actually going to do something, may involve shovels and moonlight.

Can't really say more, you know how it is?

The desert southwest is know for its wide open vistas and miles and miles of open space

That'll help...
regards
fokiten

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon May 09, 05 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

Fo...

No problems with the slight misunderstanding...

Yeah, the Sandbar does get very crowded. Unfortunatley it is about the only place for beginners to learn and everyone just has to deal with the crowds. In the five years that I have been kiting, I don't think I have ever seen a real incident and everyone just deals with the lack of space as graciously as possible. The vibe is extremely friendly and there are first timers and professionals all getting along.

Downwind in the pond area is pretty much where the better guys ride when the photographers are out, and the schools tend to stay out of that area. Plus if they lost a beginner downwind of the bar, the poor guy would be tangled in the Hood River bridge very quickly.

Overall the scene is what we are stuck with, but if I am out to ride for myself it is all about launching, getting gone, and heading upwind to much better wind, swell, and absolutely no crowds. If I have the inkling to drive a bit and the wind is better elsewhere, then I won't even go near the sandbar. Hopefully this year the coast will turn on and stay on for a couple of months straight.

Bam

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 09, 05 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Bam,,

we're good, and

Hope so, the coast I mean.

What's the ocean temp in summer?

O'' please, don't say 55, my bud in Morro Bay looks at 55 all year long, but I think it's a deep current thing??

regards
fo

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 10, 05 9:47 pm    FoBitchkiter Reply with quote

Glad you got over the whole crowd kiteing thing FO.

Don't talk any shit about the sandbar either, if you dont ride here and think that its all about CROWD KITING then just dont come here. I wouldnt mind at all if you stayed away since you were talking so much shit.

Hope that you have a good time kiting wherever you kite. Just keep it real and dont bag on other people spots or styles because thats not what kiting is all about. Just have fun kiting.

Also Heins boards are super super sick and if you can get your hands on one I am 100 percent sure that you will be stoked on it. They are definantly some of the best boards on the planet!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 10, 05 11:40 pm    Re: FoBitchkiter Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
Glad you got over the whole crowd kiteing thing FO.

Don't talk any shit about the sandbar either, if you dont ride here and think that its all about CROWD KITING then just dont come here. I wouldnt mind at all if you stayed away since you were talking so much shit.

Hope that you have a good time kiting wherever you kite. Just keep it real and dont bag on other people spots or styles because thats not what kiting is all about. Just have fun kiting.

Also Heins boards are super super sick and if you can get your hands on one I am 100 percent sure that you will be stoked on it. They are definantly some of the best boards on the planet!

Regards Inept,

Thanks for suggesting I keep it real, I will, and I'll continue to wonder if you actually read the text?

or whether you're just a blow-hard spewing shit?

Please refer to pic n3jp page 1 of this post.

That's crowd kiting, two dudes stopped hoping to change direction and getting pinched by two more dudes,, The guy in the forgound seems together and looks to be planing an upwind course, the other guy is charging...

As far as getting over crowd kiting?

That's not going to happen, here where I kite we are plannig to have an intervention:

we're inlisting all the malifactors to intervene with us, on behalf of our collective good, against our local "dangler".

It's unanimous they all want in on the action...

This little (get the dip shits in on it) plan is hoped to take care of all the "violators" (our crowd kiters) at one time, without them even realising they are our major and quite clueless target.

You see no one wants the dangler types; trouble is danglers don't think they dangle,

they think they're RAD...

I'm chuckling a bit, Inept, can you figure out why?

Anyway,,,,,You guys should hold an interention to fix the "dangler" problem,,,

Ahem,,and invite every one who kites along a well worn path, a line up.

Tell them we need to give ourselves some room for error,, some room for egress,, some room for ingress,,,that free range equals peace of mind...

a prerequisit to the joy that freedom brings...

It's not Rad to dangle for props;

to dangle for props is the definition of show-off.

No one likes a show off, far as I know?

That's as real as I've got tonight

Regards to you Inept
fokiten

PS. So what's the water temp on the Oregon coast in summer?

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed May 11, 05 1:28 am     Reply with quote

So Fo, I take it that you're hinting that all non crowd types who don't need to show off should be at the coast instead? There are a few days on the North coast when it blows perfectly in the summer but more often than not you get skunked. That's why people ride in the gorge, not the best, gusty but predictable wind. Most of the launches in the gorge are rocky and difficult. The pix of the congested sandbar show newbies and people looking to get upwind, as well as a few showboaters. Crowds are the norm here and if you come to visit then you'll be another crowd kiter too. There's also windsurfers, fishermen, tankers, and wakeboarders/jetskiers to deal with. Wherever you live you may have the privacy of your own ocean but here we must share. Come to our sandbox Fo, I'll share my Tonka trucks with you. Razz

Me

PostWed May 11, 05 8:00 am    FoFuckKiter Reply with quote

Fo,

Quote:
I'm chuckling a bit, Inept, can you figure out why?

You are a bitch. Your chuckling because you prolly think that I am one of those dudes that thinks Im rad but i actually dangle. Your a dumb bitch and I dont even want to talk about my lack of dangling.

Why dont you talk about shit that actually matters. I also DO read the text and it sounds to me like you are all mad that more people are coming to kite at your spot. It also sounds like you are getting mad about them pulling moves because they are already better then you after the short time they've been kiting.

Get used to it FO. Kiteboarding is growing and people are going to ride at the well known spots. If you have such a problem with it find somewhere else to kite or just chill out. There is nothing you can do. You are prolly just some old fuck who gets mad at everyone about everything.

Hope you have fun kiting and being a jackass.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 11, 05 8:41 am     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:
So Fo, I take it that you're hinting that all non crowd types who don't need to show off should be at the coast instead? There are a few days on the North coast when it blows perfectly in the summer but more often than not you get skunked. That's why people ride in the gorge, not the best, gusty but predictable wind. Most of the launches in the gorge are rocky and difficult. The pix of the congested sandbar show newbies and people looking to get upwind, as well as a few showboaters. Crowds are the norm here and if you come to visit then you'll be another crowd kiter too. There's also windsurfers, fishermen, tankers, and wakeboarders/jetskiers to deal with. Wherever you live you may have the privacy of your own ocean but here we must share. Come to our sandbox Fo, I'll share my Tonka trucks with you. Razz

Hey Karl,,

I guess the answer is 55 degrees,,,Damn!

I've always thought that, that coastline, where the pines meet the sea,,,where those huge monoliths (f-en big rocks) are about the most picturesque beach scene in the USA.

That's why I was asking. I wanted to kite and be a spectator all at once.

55? burrrrr,,,

On the crowd thing,, (yo inept, listen up) at my spot we have only one small little area to launch and land, these crowd kiters parade, they block the entrance,, they intimidate the swimmers and just fucking hog up the whole scene.

I was standing with the "Man" you know the guy with the badge and the gun, that drives that federal gov. pick-up truck?

Well, while I'm talking to him, a kiter charges right at this fat lady put putting out on her 8 passenger jet ski,,,

She freaks out and jumps off to save her life, she then starts flailing her arms, she can't swim, and it's a big bad ugly scene.

I can hear this Ranger literally growling under his breath,, he's mega pissed off.

Well there ya go.

That's why I don't like the parade thing.

Why did that dude charge right at this fat lady?

He was just being cool,,being a fun guy,,putting on a little show.

He likes to feel powerful, he's the center of his universe.

I refuse to back-off on this issue.

I'm afraid your fucked (Mr. me). You see, I can hold up my end of this, but I suspect you have limited resources, consequently you're stuck with calling me names, questioning my Radness etc.

LOL,,,That'll work, smile,,If you do have a defence please post it.

And Karl,,yeah, they are just "trying" to get up wind?

that f-en river flow is making progress impossible, but they keep trying,they're trying.....Hm?,,wink,,lol...

We both know which way the water flows...

Anyway, I've kited the gorge, you can have at it, I'll not infringe.

Respect for the riders,,,You've many swinging dicks, guys who kick-ass, respect for the talent,,,but no support for the tendency to kite in packs.

That's bad mojo,,, bla bla bla

Regards
fokiten

The BIG ps.

My venue is HUGE miles of square miles to ride one tiny place to rig and launch.

Your venue is HUGE miles of square miles to ride just a few areas to rig and launch.

Fuck up one too many times at the launch and it goes dark.

So why just hover at the spot?

let me guess, (I love these it's for safety reasons)

1. we crowd kite for the safety factor (rescues are quicker when you crash on the spit)

2. We must stay very close, what if we brake down? (it's safer to bust a line near the launch where people can catch you.)

3. we are providing valuble visual instruction for the new guys.

enough

Please add your own list of very good reasons for endangering your accsess.

BigR

PostWed May 11, 05 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Hey Fo, It's a good thing neither you nor practically anybody else will ever kite at my perfect local spot. I'm the only one with easy access within 15 miles with nothing but nature preserve, flat water and sandbars. You guy's would ruin it by Dangling too much!

Me

PostWed May 11, 05 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

So what are you saying you want me defend to my lack of dangling? Or kite Skills. Just say yes and I will post some pics for you.

PostWed May 11, 05 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Me wrote:
So what are you saying you want me defend to my lack of dangling? Or kite Skills. Just say yes and I will post some pics for you.

Me, what I'm saying is that kiting in a line-up is not a good way to avoid trouble.

When I windsurfed it was fun, thees kites though need the room.

Let's be clear, I don't know who you are, how you kite, what your sexual prefferences are.

All I know is that kiting in line-up has two ends, the off stage, turn around end, is an accident waiting to happen (it's just dumb to pinch guys up when there's nothing to be gained from it and everything to loose)

On the stage end well,,,do I really need to say that it's just fine? only until it isn't? and some innocent in the wrong place gets wacked because a gust hit, a line snapped, you skipped out at that last second and now you're totally powered and also totally out of room?

Do I really need to convince you of these things?

All I require is to be able to talk sense without some half cocked jerk-off making believe I'm actually just being a jerk-off.

Take a giant fucking step backward and then maybe you'll see

A bigger picture

That the show can only go on as long as it's not a danger to the public good.

This line-up game is bad mojo for us.

I don't feel like a jerk-off for saying that, and you'll need to pony up with the rebuttal or else I get to say

You got nothing dip-shit

By the way,,,That's fokiten tip #37

"You need an argument in order to agrue."

Are we done here?

I hope so
Regards my inept cyber pal..

Really give it up
and we're good
fokiten

PostWed May 11, 05 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

ahhh fo...like a belligerent drunk at your bar

entertaining at first

then gets rollin, arguing just to argue...nothing better to do

eventually nobody gives a shit what they think

blah blah blah

watch and see

the drunk has his audience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: