Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bindings vs. Straps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostSat May 07, 05 5:44 am    Bindings vs. Straps Reply with quote

I rode with bindings for 3.5 seasons, then switched to straps last year mid-season. There are a lot of things that I like about straps; especially having the luxury of changing stance at anytime. But, I would like to feel a bit more strapped-in...seems I'm toe-gripping a lot and can't boost nearly the air that I used-to because I'm on the verge of coming out on plade-out lift-off. I'm currently using the standard Dakine pad with the toe grips and Dakine straps. Is there anyone who has a recommendation for a better strap/pad interface with the board? Or, does anybody recommend using heel straps? Thanks.

Jim

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSat May 07, 05 6:53 am     Reply with quote

I use nsi padz with Martin BOAs and Best heelstraps. I crank the Martins down just slightly so that I pop out if I blow a jump. The good thing about the best heelstraps is that they're thick (about 1 1/2 inches) so that if 1 foot comes out you can kick the other heelstrap off with your free foot real quick. I find this to be a good compromise between straps and bindings since the board never feels like it will come off unless I need it to. The padz are about $40, Martins $90 at Big winds, and Best heelstraps are $20. Spendy but worth it.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat May 07, 05 7:22 am     Reply with quote

NSI's new pads/adjustable straps are pretty sweet:

http://www.impact3d.com/hein_plate-strap.html

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSat May 07, 05 8:47 am     Reply with quote

I've used these heel straps from Realkiteboarding.com and was happy with them...easy to take off in sticky situations and easy on the heels. Just be sure you order two of them...it looks like they are sold separately at $9.99 each.

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=detail&catID=508&productID=5667

697photo.jpg 

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 07, 05 9:25 am    haha Reply with quote

Wow,

Well if you dont feel like getting ripped off on buying heel straps you could just make your own out of an old bike tube.

Cheap and easy, or what would be a lot better would be for 90 at stormwarning going and buying the new Liquid force Interface. For 90 you get the best footpads on the market right now because they have a cooshy nice heel pad. Adjustable foot straps that you can fit to your foot perfectly, and they also come with a awesome heel strap that is prolly the mosty comfy heel strap.

Those are definantly the two best heel strap options by far. Also if you are going to use heel straps there is no point in needing the top of your foot strap to be super tight. CMON GUYS YOU HAVE HEEL STRAPS YOUR FEET ARENT GOING TO FALL OUT.

Hope that helped, I would highly recommend going to stormwarning or another liquid force dealer and checking those pads and shit out they are sick!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSat May 07, 05 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

The liquid force setup is sweet EXCEPT for the heel strap. They have the same problem that you'd have making a strap out of a bike tire tube. Since they're so thin you couldn't just kick one off if you had one foot in and were getting teabagged. It's up to you but acl surgery is a bitch. Trust me on this one, I've gone the heel bungy route and switched.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostSat May 07, 05 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

Last year I had the DaKine pads and straps, never felt locked in and the pads have little cush. I also tried some Naish adjustable straps with the Dakine pads but they didn't help either. Switched to Slingshot pads and straps last summer, better but could never get em just right, board would start wiggling off in chop when powered, never felt locked in. I just switched to the 05 North "plate" pads and adjustable straps and finally my feet feel solidly in there, plus I can adjust them easily on the water. I'm totally stoked on the setup (only because I've been frustrated with my pads/straps for so long!). The Norths are not as thick as the Sling pads but they fit and adjust right, the whole setup is ~$80, not bad

Mike S

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed May 18, 05 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

just got 4 heel straps from realkiteboarding.com (previous post) and have to make a correction....they are $10 bucks for 2, instead of $20 bucks for 2...stupid me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: