Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any backroll-kiteloop pain avoidance tips?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostThu Aug 13, 09 2:25 am    Re: Any backroll-kiteloop pain avoidance tips? Reply with quote

kenja wrote:
Working on the backroll kiteloop... Tried one today and got yarded...bad.... Anyone have any tips? I basically put both hands on the back-hand side and went into a normal low-altitude backroll while pulling hard. I ended up doing a 10ft high, double backroll kiteloop with a backwards, superman-style, head-first landing. I apparently rotated too hard on takeoff. Any advice other than not to rotate as aggressively?

R U doing these hooked?

In general I'd say getting yarded unhooked hurts less...but are a little harder to pull off since the power sometimes just snaps the bar out of your hand...and that hurts...

anyhow...assuming you do the hooked backroll...try going a little underpowered...if you do it will not hurt...go for a normal backroll, send the kite..maybe a little slower then usual, and then once you;ve reached the half point..this depends on how the wind is...pull the trigger...if you take the kite from about 12 to 1 it will not pull as hard..hooked in I usually leave one hand off the bar..like the rodeo thing..helps the balance...and there is no way back....

Some kites are way easier to do this on than others IMO...you want a kite that gives you feedback on the bar so you can feel the power...and that can depower in the loop but still completes the loop...

anyhow...good luck, and post pics of your bruised ribs..haha..

btw. I nearly lost consciousness attempting a super powered loop on a 12 with 25 meters lines...so know your conditions before going nuts...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Aug 13, 09 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:

I just crapped my pants.

stomptricks

Since 11 Sep 2014
21 Posts

PostThu Jan 29, 15 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Hey guys, we've just made Double Backroll tutorial that might help a few of you guys out. Here's the link: http://stomptricks.com/tricks/hooked-in-double-back-roll/

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 29, 15 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

Still working on those 5 years later?

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Feb 03, 15 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

stomptricks wrote:
Hey guys, we've just made Double Backroll tutorial that might help a few of you guys out. Here's the link: http://stomptricks.com/tricks/hooked-in-double-back-roll/

that's not helpful for a backroll kiteloop.

Last edited by C Johnson on Tue Feb 03, 15 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Feb 03, 15 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

take it or leave it but this is what has worked for me.

start on big kites in light wind. This slows everything down so it doesn't spank you as hard when you mess up. which if you're anything like me you will mess up a lot and even though everything is slowed down it will still hurt some.

when you pop, try to get just a couple feet of air and to rotate half way so that you are facing straight up wind. have your kite at 12 and keep your back hand in close on the bar. The pressure from your back hand being on the bar will initiate a slow backloop rotation. it might help to reach for the nose of your board with your front hand, plus it will look cooler if you actually incorporate the grab. Once you feel the kite start to pull you through the 2nd half of the rotation, pull harder with your back hand to complete the kiteloop. release the grab if you went for it and spot your landing. If you're on a big slow kite, chances are the kite will have only done about 2/3rds of a complete loop before you land.

3 seconds into this video I do exactly what I'm trying to describe. there is also some good examples of my friend Tuna doing some unhooked kiteloop backrolls as well as some great examples of me showing you how to fail at doing a double backroll kiteloop. All of this was filmed in 14m conditions.

http://vimeo.com/106711936

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Feb 04, 15 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

I think try them with a smaller kite. I did my first kite loops on a 14m and that was too slow to rotate for a beginner.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Feb 05, 15 9:51 am     Reply with quote

I learned back roll kite loops accidentally. On many occasions I would be the only guy out there when the winds were too frustrating for guys with 17 and 18m light wind kites. AND I WAS ON A 13.5 Best Kahoona (and weigh 220lbs). Not much of a chance to make it up wind, but better than sitting on the beach.

Having expert like light wind standard backroll skills, sometimes it was still too light to pull off. Often when I sent the kite up, the kite would enter into less wind at 12 o'clock than it had down closer to the water. Having commited to the roll, and not wanting to swim in (not enough wind to relaunch), I would loop the kite back around (behind and down) just to keep it up. Often I would complete the backroll "accidentally" since I looped the kite to keep it up and had commited to the motion.

So if you have good standard back roll skills, try in too light of wind. Go for a standard back roll, and loop the kite hard if you don't think you can keep the kite up without looping it.

Be smart - if you cannot relaunch the kite at this wind speed, you should be getting washed into shore on that wind direction or have waist deep water to walk back in.

Know the loop before you apply it to roll. In light winds, do a down wind jump off of the loop.

Normally on a simple jump (going left or port tack) you bring the kite from left to right across the window somewhere above you. Then before you hit your terminal height, you have the bar cranked back left to get the kite back in front of you to make your landing. If you have a slower kite, you need to crank that bar back left about half way up. This keeps you from under shooting the kite (the kite over running you) and gives you back forward speed to plane out of the landing. - that is the simple jump.

The loop jump is when you send the kite up and back for the jump and loop it down hard. Keeping the kite high (while you are going left or port tack), you simply pull in on the right side of the bar and hold this, making a loop behind you. This will lift you, then pull you really far down wind as the kite gets closer to the water in the loop. You need to edge up wind on the landing to keep from running at the kite too fast.

Most tricks are best done in medium to high winds. This one is best for light winds. If you are getting yarded in high winds, work on your single and double back rolls until you can do them in your sleep.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 06, 15 6:23 am     Reply with quote

I am by no means a grunty kite looper. I have learned to use looping to my advantage when I need the power and have learned to do some moves whereby I would otherwise just plop in the water if not for looping the kite. So mostly down loops I guess. My one buddy got knocked unconscious trying a back roll kite loop at Rufus and was luckily by shore so others could swim out to rescue him. My biggest fear (and it has happened several times) is being pulled into your lines on a failed loop. Try to loop more with your kite to the side of you at first. Less grunty and less chance of the harrowing fear of being pulled into your lines . Ultimately for me, grunty kiteloops don't interest me and are not worth the price I know I'll pay to be learning them.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostFri Feb 06, 15 7:20 am     Reply with quote

I learned backroll kiteloops with a transition first, and used a gradual progression technique to build confidence. I still use the gradual progression when I'm not sure if I will get overpowered by the loop from too big of a kite for the wind speed. Lighter wind is best at first.
First, do a low boost transition without a loop, and see if the wind is strong enough to reverse direction without sinking into the water. If you feel there's not enough power with a strong downstroke to reverse direction without sinking into the water, you know you're properly powered to start looping the kite to get enough power. Start pulling harder on your back hand to loop the kite through for powering out. Don't wait too long to make the decision to kiteloop rather than just a deep downstroke, because you'll start sinking and get yanked too hard. Also, point board downwind out of the boost, then turn.
After you're feeling comfortable with that, do a backroll transition without the kiteloop. Assuming the wind is the same, you'll sink into the water too much, and will be feeling the need for more power to reverse direction. That desire for more power out of the backroll transition is what you want. Rather than fearing the kiteloop, you'll crave it.

zig zag 158

Since 16 Jul 2012
19 Posts
Vic BC Canada

PostFri Feb 06, 15 11:26 am     Reply with quote

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is your speed... if you're ripping along then send it, pop, and loop you'll get launched!!! when first trying them try to slow down a little and cheat the kite up to 12 and do more of a heli-loop!
also, when pulling the end of the bar don't sheet in so much... concentrate on a good pull on the one side to make the kite loop better...
after a good 20-50 times slow and steady start to speed up and then start to sheet in more!!

cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: