Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Save on Shipping: Buy Local!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 04, 05 7:40 pm    Save on Shipping: Buy Local! Reply with quote

Hey guys step away from the mouse! There is no need to pay for shipping by buying from online retailers, the online brands are also available from your local shops.

Windwing is headquartered in Hood River, they are pretty easy to spot right downtown.

New Wind Kiteboarding in Hood River is selling Best, and as of this week All Surf Industry (ASI) in Portland is as well.

So support the local guys and buy from them and save on shipping at the same time.

Late! Wave

shymac

PostThu May 05, 05 9:41 am    Other shops in the Hood. Reply with quote

Storm Warning in Hood River will be selling all your favorite gear from Slingshot, Liquid Force, and Jimmy Lewis. They carry a huge section of boardshorts. Just to let you know. Also the staff kicks ass.

RealWind will be selling Caution kites and there custom boards. Check them out too.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu May 05, 05 10:46 am     Reply with quote

ASI is Not a Best dealer. That could change in the future though. As of right now ASI carries Slingshot and Cabrinha. Gorge Performance carries North and I think Naish too. (correct me if I am wrong about Gorge Perfomance)

I agree with Phil, try to patronize our local shops. These are the guys that will handle your warranty problems for you if you are ever in that situation. I know I have needed stuff fixed on warranty before and was pleased with the outcome from my local shop.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 05, 05 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

blancoh2o wrote:
ASI is Not a Best dealer. That could change in the future though. As of right now ASI carries Slingshot and Cabrinha. Gorge Performance carries North and I think Naish too. (correct me if I am wrong about Gorge Perfomance)

Steve - I could be wrong but I was in there just yesterday, there was a Best kite inflated on the floor and the guy up front said you can order kites through them...

I just wanted to make sure people know that if they are planning on buying from one of the online brands they should go through the local shops and support them.

Storm Warning in HR and Gorge Performance in PDX, both great shops too!

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu May 05, 05 12:53 pm    ASI Reply with quote

I talked to Mark over at ASI a couple of days ago and they are carrying Best kites as of this week...he said it takes 2 days to ship in an order.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu May 05, 05 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

I definitely try an support local shops but...
when I can get a board for $100 less than the retail shop. What is my incentive?

I always try to shop local first, but no one really tries to sell, they just hang out and wait for you to go to the counter. No hey I'll knock $50 if you buy it today. Or sorry we don't have it in-stock I'll get it to you by end of the week.

I don't mind spending a few bucks more because it is convenient and nice to shop locally cause you can get it today. If they had it in-stock.

But when you don't get a call back say they have it in stock or I'll order it and get it to you tomorrow..no thanks I can get that from On-line.

Also have ask for certain spreader bar and just get a "no we can't get that", then I check on-line, guess what they have it.

I give them a chance, but shop elsewhere it they can't deliver.

PostThu May 05, 05 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

You can even buy kite gear that's made in the Gorge.

-Hein

PostFri May 06, 05 6:48 am     Reply with quote

It seems to me that the online shop would have a disadvantage to live sales staff. I know this is not how it really is though. In a real live store situation the sales staff can work the sale to beat the price. The problem is that the overhead to employ the staff maintains the incentive to sell high. Back in the day when I did lots of biking we never paid full price ,if you went to your local shop and spent some money there once and a while. It seems to me in a town like hood river the shops should be selling online cheaper than most in the rest of the country because there is no tax and it is a central location for wind gear, this bulk sale situation should have lower prices in the shop and onn the sites. Just got to ask for the deals. It is nice to buy local for warraty issues, For example I got a nsi pump and have burned out three of them in the past three months. It seems to me they average about twelve kites blown before they fry. good wind..

jts

Since 03 Mar 2005
26 Posts
gorge

PostFri May 06, 05 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Almost the best of both worlds:
http://www.kiteworld.net/

Astoria shop, I bought my first package of gear from them and have made several purchases from them since -- always happy. Ben runs the shop is a nice guy and you will see them all out kiting a the S. Jetty or Lagoons when you go. At the same time, you can buy online from them and they will compete with the other online shops for price and selection.

I consider anything within the NW "local" I have boughten plenty of gear from almost every shop in HR, Big Air on the S. Coast, Seattle shops, ASI and Gorge. In the end, I always like to buy from people I have actually "met" even if I do it over the phone or via email in the end.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed May 18, 05 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

I was at ASI a couple of days ago. They now have Best kites in the store.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

PostSat Jun 04, 05 5:01 pm    New Wind offers another "buy local" option Reply with quote

New Wind Kiteboarding has secured an Oak St. retail location and plans to open mid-June. They will be taking in quality used kites to sell on consignment and will be selling closeout and demo kites at great prices. So now there is another "buy local" option from super knowledgeable folks. Oh and New Wind does not carry Best kites for sale, but thanks for mentioning New Wind in this post!

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Jun 05, 05 9:16 am    Cabrinha warranty experience Reply with quote

I will let everyone know how Cabrinha's warranty is, they seem reluctant to warranty my new recon gen 2 bar. My old 2004 bar is still going strong though.

warranty@cabrinhakites.com
info@allsurfindustry.com

To whom it may concern,

I have purchased new Cabrinha kites (from All Surf Industry in Portland, OR.) each season for the past two years and have been very happy with the performance of your kites. But, I have had problems with my bar line fraying this year because of something inside the bar. I put in a new chicken look line per the distributors suggestion and after one session the line is fraying again. I purchased this 2005 nitro complete less then 90 days ago and find this unacceptable. I find myself using last years bar still. I feel this bar should be covered under warranty. I should not have to take a file to it to smooth out the inside of the bar especially since it is practically new. Please note, this email and all correspondence will be posted on nwkite.com so that all the local Hood River and Portland kiters can see how Cabrinha stands behind their products.

Regards,
hbrico

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Jun 05, 05 4:14 pm    Why I like Naish Reply with quote

Bummer about the bar...

I had a very minor stiching blem on my Naish Torch. I emailed North Sports in Bingen...then stopped by with the kite...minutes later I had it professionally fixed at Airtime (on Naish) while I waited and I got some free swag for my trouble.

I like that Naish is repped by some fine retail establishments...GP here in PDX and Big Winds out in the Gorge, plus on the coast...Plus you have the national distributor right there in Bingen.

For a while this was Slingshot country...but Naish is gaining ground fast. Beside great gear..their service is A+.

Go Naish!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: