Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle access

previous topic :: next topic  
jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon May 25, 09 8:57 pm    Lyle access Reply with quote

Who is currently spearheading Lyle access for CGKA?

I have a friend who is a legal mediator, and he has worked with BNSF on past cases. He is on friendly terms with the BNSF lawyers and can talk to them and find out what options we have for improving access.

My personal feeling is that eventually we will just need something like the gate crossing at Doug's. However, apparently that costs a lot (~$200K). So serious fundraising may be required.

On the same subject, there was a legal dispute with the RR over the change at the Doug's parking lot, and part of the settlement was something in the neighborhood of $200K from the RR. It is supposed to be spent on improving access elewhere on the river, but I'm not sure if it's specifically for windsurfing access, as I believe it was CGWA who brought the charges against the RR(?). Anyone know who is in charge of deciding how that money is spent?

This friend asked me to find out about the legal status (ownership) of the land that is one the river side of the tracks.

Is it native american owned? US Forrest Service? Other? This is an important factor in the RR crossing issue.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon May 25, 09 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Jonah, give me a call and I'll get you up to speed. The US Forest Service owns the land and river delta, the railroad owns the access, the WA DOT doesn't want people crossing the highway. It's a bit of a cluster f@#k.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 26, 09 10:29 am     Reply with quote

I guess the bright side of Lyle getting shut down for real, is that now the CGKA could work on getting Lyle access legitimized.

Honestly $200k is really nothing when you consider this is the only waterfront access for the local town. The enviornmental issues are more what have me concerned...

I think once the fence goes up it will motiviate the town people to get involved... maybe CGKA can organize a sign-up sheet for people interested in tracking this subject (they would not necessarily have to be CGKA memebers, just people in the community who could help.)

There are a lot of online petition sites we could use to build a coalition. Let me know if I can help.

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu May 28, 09 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Might have some advice from BNSF around next week time-frame.

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostTue Jun 23, 09 3:10 pm    Recent activity. Reply with quote

Is Lyle still not a viable option. I have seen people kite there lately but not sure if they are using a boat for access.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 23, 09 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Are you looking for an official CGKA statement? Sad

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Jun 23, 09 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Was Chris able to help you, Forrest?

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostTue Jun 23, 09 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

I think i figured it out.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 23, 09 9:38 pm     Reply with quote

Jonah, I haven't gotten in touch with him just yet, busy busy bee. Melokitegirl and I are going to start working on it really soon though!

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Jun 23, 09 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

yeah, i figured you were a little busy lately Wink Thanks for the info!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> CGKA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: