Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sand Spit Parking Fee
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Eric

PostTue Apr 26, 05 8:37 pm    Sand Spit Parking Fee Reply with quote

This one caught me off guard! Not a very well crafted letter, but better than nothing. Write/email the Port if you care to do so with your own.

EC

Port's email: porthr@gorge.net

<<
Dear Port,

I am somewhat confused about the new parking fee to be implemented out on the Sand Spit road. The Marina, which is paved, has cement bathrooms, green lawns, and other improvements, is free. The Hook is also free. The Sand Spit is a primitive site, in which the spit itself is often completely submerged, is not free?

This seems to be more of a "Kiteboarding fee," than an "improvements fee." I would very much appreciate some incite into the thinking here in light of the other facilities open to other forms of recreation which do not charge a fee.

Kind Regards,
Eric Cohn

ECmike

Since 29 Mar 2005
23 Posts
Beaverton, OR

PostWed Apr 27, 05 12:09 am     Reply with quote

Eric,

If they reply to your letter, please let us know what it was. You have a very good point in regards to the "Kiteboarding fee" and the site being primitive vs the surrounding sites.

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed Apr 27, 05 9:21 am     Reply with quote

eric,

where did you see this posted?

kt

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 27, 05 10:06 am     Reply with quote

This is unfortunate and I don't like it, but I'm sure they have to recapture the cost of regrading the road with new gravel etc. . . which was done about two weeks ago, plus they provide the porta-crapper down there albeit nothing like the choice crappers over by the Marina. I suspect that the areas u mentioned that are not charging a fee now, will do so in the future. $ is tight everywhere.

What are they charging per day and is there a season/annual pass available for people who use it a lot?

PostWed Apr 27, 05 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Posted in HR news. I suggested a $25 Spit pass, or a $60 combined Event/Spit pass.

EC

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 27, 05 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

I'd pay the $25 if it meant they keep the road up and maybe work on better ammenities in the future.

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts
wherever there are whitecaps

PostWed Apr 27, 05 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

i think it stinks..whatabout folks that come from outta town....do all the kite-schools down there pay a fee too?

is it public land or private?

will i get better emergency service if i break my femur ?? (it did happen there, + i heard it was a fiasco)..

sigh..............jp

PostWed Apr 27, 05 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

I say get over it, except they should make yearly passes available. With 0% sales tax the city has no way to have the tourists money pay for the improvements that someone feels are needed. A dirt road is fine with me though.

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts
wherever there are whitecaps

PostWed Apr 27, 05 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

a dirt road is fine + i'm over it.

no sales tax, but the city does impose a 7-8 % tax for folks staying in hotels + rooms in Hood River

lots of other places to go

westcoast

PostWed Apr 27, 05 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

I believe the property is owned by the port authority, not the city.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Apr 27, 05 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

I say dirt is fine, no more fees...I hate em!

Here what I sent FWIW...

Please don't implement a spit fee. Since it is free, I like to go there and everytime I do, I get gas at the 76, I buy lunch in town, I stop by the store for snacks, etc, etc, etc. Keeping the spit free and fun means more $$ for HR. Myself and others will find other places to launch.

HR need to attract tourists and visitors. Nobody wants to travel to a place to get nickel and dimed everywhere you go.

Please no more fees!

PostWed Apr 27, 05 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

its time to rise up and liberate

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 27, 05 6:41 pm    Yeah Reply with quote

If the port does implement a fee they will never hear the end of it. It isnt worth 25 to me for them to keep "the road in shape". People drive some of the gnarliest trails to get to a secret spot to kite, why would the 100 yard drive down the spit road really matter. Even in the summer who cares about better bathrooms, get over it. The 76 down the street has perfectly good bathrooms for those times that you have to take a crap. If they start to charge at the spit, its just going to make people leave and go kite somewhere that is free. Also yes the schools do pay a fee to use the land down there for the summer. They have to buy a permit that allows them to set up. That is the money that should go to better things at the sandbar, since the schools are making money off of the sandbar. Another thing to think about would be the people coming to get lessons at the sandbar, after paying for expensive lessons, do you really think that they are going to want to pay to get into the sandbar? What about the people who have lessons more than 1 day, a lot of lessons go for 2 or 3 days some even longer. I don't think that I would want to have to pay to park after paying for lessons. The port definantly needs to think about what they are charging people for before they implement a fee. The sandbar has nothing, what is there to charge for. Until any effort is made at all to improve the sandbar I don't see why anyone who kites there should have to pay for anything. The water is everyones place to kite and the sandbar should be the same way!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostWed Apr 27, 05 7:18 pm    Before we all get too upset... Reply with quote

Here's a spy photo of one of the future SB enhancements ... A Kite-Caddie...now whadda ya think about that measly fee?

kite-caddie.jpg 

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Apr 27, 05 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, damn kids are owning the bar. And it seems that they even have logical things to say... Rock on Ian...

Bam

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Apr 27, 05 10:01 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, damn kids are owning the bar. And it seems that they even have logical things to say... Rock on Ian...

Bam

PostThu Apr 28, 05 12:31 am     Reply with quote

Inept fun. $25 is too much for a parking pass in your own back yard? If your going to boycott the SB and go somewhere else, how times do you think it will take to incurr $25 in gas costs? Maybe 3 or 4 times. That doesn't even include the wear and tear/cost on your car and the added time it takes to go somewhere else. You live in HR, if its windy there and there are good conditions, why travel else where?

As for lessons, I bet the schools will include the cost of parking into the lesson. Its just like going to he doctor's office and getting your parking validated--all inclusive.

As far as the gravel road goes, the Port put the road in and I'm sure it would like to protect its investment/asset with periodic maintenance. Costs a lot more to redo a road once it has really gone down hill vs some up-keep here and there.

And the bathroom situation. Who wants to get in their car and drive to the 76 and use the facilities after sailing and being in their gear. Most gas stations prefer paying customers anyway. I'm not implying that you don't pay for things, but if the 76 gets overused by non-purchasing individuals, that bathroom will would be closed to non-purchasing individuals real quick. And if one pays for something in order to use the 76 bathroom, well that is a buck or so that could of gone towards a parking fee. Plus it takes 10 extra minutes or so, that is time one could be kiting.

Who is doing the wear and tear on the roads? We are, the kiters. Who is using the port-o-toilet? We are, the kiters. Who gets the most benefit from the road and access to the SB? We do, the kiters. How much have we had to pay in the past? Zero. Things change in life, not always for the better.

The port owns the land; ownship includes rights etc . . . they have the right to close the access to all. Why should they pay infrastructure costs and toilet costs when its really derives no benefit for itself.

The bottom line is the Port can do what it wants with the SB as an owner.
Personally I would rather have it open with a nomial fee, than closed all together. That would suck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: