Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maryhill Launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bc6

Since 07 Sep 2018
26 Posts

PostMon Jun 08, 20 5:59 pm    Maryhill Launch Reply with quote

Friends. Am camping at Maryhill State Park mid June and plan on kiting. I’ve searched the forum for any gouge but haven’t found anything. Any useful tips?

Thanks a bunch!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 08, 20 6:14 pm    Re: Maryhill Launch Reply with quote

Bc6 wrote:
Friends. Am camping at Maryhill State Park mid June and plan on kiting. I’ve searched the forum for any gouge but haven’t found anything. Any useful tips?

Thanks a bunch!

Super fun spot. I bit of an expert.... advance intermediate launch because it's tight with some hungry trees. Best to have launch friend around.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jun 08, 20 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

or cross the bridge and drive 5 minutes east to Rufus for a friendlier launch, better swell, and more people...assuming the current isn't still too strong by then
Last edited by hilton on Mon Jun 08, 20 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostMon Jun 08, 20 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

We camped at the RV park right next to the state park last summer and kited every day for about 5 days
Yes, it is an advanced launch but here is how we did it:
We would drift launch.
Pump the kite right next to the water in a gap of the trees.
I would run the lines and connect them to the kite.
Then I would wind up the lines BUT before winding them up, i would equalize the length of the 2 steering lines. (Because when you wind the lines on the bar, they end up being different lengths at the end at the kite. This is a problem because when you drift launch and the steering lines are not pulling evenly, the kite doesn’t behave very well. So equalizing the steering lines would keep the kite under control.)
So once the lines were wound up on the bar, I would walk out into the water with my kite and board. (I had a milk bottle anchored to the bottom with a spare leash to hold my board next to me while I unwound the lines)
Once in the water with my kite, i would make sure it is under control, put some water on the canopy, kite bladder side down.
I would then start unwinding the lines careful to not go too fast and have the lines catch the weeds under water. Once the bar was fully unwound, I would rotate the kite with a steering line, grab my board and from that point, launch the kite.
Hope this helps.
Doogie

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 08, 20 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

I've never done it, but friends have described to me their experience.

They found a tree the proper distance from the water and simply put a tether on it.

Much safer than a drift launch... Especially in high winds.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 08, 20 11:02 pm    Down on drifting... Reply with quote

Doogie,

Sounds like you engineered your way to a happy drift, as the voice of moderation and a known non-expert I'm gonna say stay away from drifting. It is a chapter in the how to kite book but it's gotta be like option #4 or #5 on the list. Having done it twice this week, I can say from direct experience it can go wrong.

The unfortunate part is that once your drift goes south you are QUICKLY in the sh*t and you get to skip all that skimming around on the water, boosting and doing tricks and get right to the good ol' self rescue and survival mode.

Just sayin' like dancing or other "activities" you CAN do on your own, it's OFTEN BETTER WITH A FRIEND.

My .02

Mc

Bc6

Since 07 Sep 2018
26 Posts

PostTue Jun 09, 20 7:38 am    Maryhill Launch Reply with quote

Thanks for the gouge. I’ve done the teathered launch several times. Pretty user friendly. Think that will be my go to. Love to learn the drift launch but that will be for a future date when a little more experienced.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 09, 20 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Like almost every launch/land senario drift launch is nothing to be scared of. You do need to respect it. Like all kite launching, when it goes according to plan it looks and is easy. When things goes sideways it can get ugly fast. Take your time, do each step in order the same way every time, don’t get distracted by anyone around you talking to you or whatever ,make sure again there are no line problems & go. If you get distracted or aren’t sure about something, start over from the beginning. Yes, it can be a pain and take a bit longer but safety first.
If something does go sideways, pull the release immediately as you should have a hand on it already. Don’t try to save it, just start over. Yes, it can be a pain and take a bit longer but safety first.
And while learning have some help you and make sure, really sure, there is nothing dangerous downwind. Rocks, nets, eddies, anything. And an easy way out.
The other thing to watch out for as you improvise is getting complacent with it. ‘I’ve done this a thousand times, it’s easy’ is the fastest way to get in trouble.
But it is a very useful skill to have in your bag.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 09, 20 8:28 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
I've never done it, but friends have described to me their experience.

They found a tree the proper distance from the water and simply put a tether on it.

Much safer than a drift launch... Especially in high winds.

And.... The dreaded milfoil seaweed can upset my drift launch plans.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 09, 20 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

And.... The dreaded milfoil seaweed can upset my drift launch plans.

Milfoil, rocks, sticks, plants, fish nets... Any fixed point object grabs your lines and suddenly your safety option goes bye bye.

I think everybody should know how to do drift launches. I just don't think they should be the preferred method of launching.

Also, Drift launches vary site to site.

What's the current doing? Is it bringing your kite closer to you or further? Will the current route your kite into the bank or other object? This is a key component to analyzing a drift launch.

Are you wind shadowed? Drift launches work best in low wind conditions.

I've seen a number of drift launch methods. I particularly liked a method I saw someone doing at Roosevelt. They put the kite out directly downwind. Then they slowly fed the kite out with the front two lines (taking care to keep the kite lines even). I can't remember if the kite was frontwards or backwards. Seems to me if you can hold the kite backwards this would be a safe method even in high(er) winds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: