Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Age to start kiteboarding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostMon May 10, 21 2:15 pm    Age to start kiteboarding? Reply with quote

What do you think is a good age to start kids kiteboarding (with lessons of course)?

CGKA Member

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 10, 21 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

The fetus Smile. Head first like life!!!

it's_over_there

Since 12 Apr 2021
15 Posts

PostMon May 10, 21 2:54 pm    Kids kiteboarding Reply with quote

Highly dependent on the kid. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but... it's the truth. My younger son turned 9 on Saturday (8th), and he started 2 months ago. Granted, we were in the Caribbean for a couple months, and it was easy and safe to get him in the water there. However, it was the attitude that made it possible. My 12 year old on the other hand, wants nothing to do with it, therefore not going to force him.

I'm a novice myself, but my personal opinion, and it's worth exactly what you're paying for it, is that it is better to go with boat supported lessons to start for young kids. Quite a bit safer if they are out in open water.

If your kid is super stoked and wanting to give it a try, and you have a way to get him into open water to learn, then I say go for it.

Cheers.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon May 10, 21 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

54!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 10, 21 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe this will help, it’s the answer to everything

44E647F3-9742-42AC-BAF2-63E8F48156BE.jpeg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon May 10, 21 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

Started my youngest at 6 with a trainer kite and skimboard. Safe and they get mad kite skills. My oldest started at 9 with twin tip and real kites. I bought a Waverunner and followed them all over the Columbia for a season. Absurdly fun!

Eric

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon May 10, 21 8:58 pm    Yes Knotwindy 100% Reply with quote

So +1 with Knotwindy on this one...

technically you could argue the permutations rule: so 2, 4, 24 or 42 are the perfect ages to learn to KITE based on the fractal amplification theorem used in non-euclidean geometry.

Trust me.

Mc

2021-05-10_21-51-41.png 

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue May 11, 21 7:34 am     Reply with quote

If you are planning on doing lessons with one of the kite schools, you should call them first. They probably have an age limit for taking kids, and you can ask what their experience is. Teaching kids is different from teaching adults.

It also depends on what your expectations are. My three year old can fly a trainer kite with dad's help, but getting on the water with an inflatable kite and twin tip board is a long way off for us. The trainer kite and skimboard in the kiddie pool (shallow water) seems like a good intermediate step for transitioning to "real" kiteboarding.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 11, 21 10:04 am     Reply with quote

I'm sure the little ones take to kiting like a fish to water, but that is only about 1/3rd of the equation. Common sense and being cognizant about/of potential situations (injury to life threatening) is more my concern and worry.

A wise OG waterman once told me last year that kiting is a very easy way to place oneself in some very dangerous/insurmountable situations to get out of; especially if the kite is down and needed to get one out of the situation.

I find it funny and shocking how much (very experienced kiters) forget what it is like to have to swim back (downed kite. . .whatever. . . etc etc) to shore and how long it takes and how much effort is involved. Because it has all happened to us one time or another.

This OG waterman/kiter friend of mine was foiling in lite winds and on the other side of the river from where he launched.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 11, 21 10:54 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, it's very subjective on the child. If they are keen and super in to it is what matters most. I've had to force my kid in to it so it goes really slowly. He has fun time every time we go out but he never wants to go.

I'm a huge proponent of the Peak 4 for teaching small people to kite with. It's cheap, super safe and flies amazingly well. I've been using a 5m in 8-12 knots with my son over a few summers now with his weight in the 70-90 lbs range.

Because you are able to teach with it in such light winds it makes it super safe. It also has the added factor of sinking in to the water if they crash it which removes all power. On top of that the kite generates almost no vertical lift even if you try.

To teach with the Peak 4 you need shallows though as you have to relaunch the kite for the student every time they crash it. I think you should always teach kitesurfing in shallow water though as it's 10,000x more enjoyable than learning in deep water.

I had taken him out a few times with a small 1-strut kite but below 10 knots it takes skill to keep most kites in the air (not the Peak 4 though) so it never went very well.

Link

Link

Link

I've even taken a 170 lbs student out for his first exposure to kiting. While you can't actually ride the board with the 5m at those winds it's a super easy and relaxing into to how a 4 line kite works.

Link

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue May 11, 21 12:23 pm    age to start Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Started my youngest at 6 with a trainer kite and skimboard. Safe and they get mad kite skills. My oldest started at 9 with twin tip and real kites. I bought a Waverunner and followed them all over the Columbia for a season. Absurdly fun!

Eric

The Eric method above works extremely well. Henry started at 6 with a trainer kite and skimboard, and we just took it slowly and did mostly downwinders in shallow water, until he started to figure out edging the skimboard. The key for me was that I absolutely relished most of the learning part. If you know me (admission against interest coming), I am not exactly Mr. Patience in all situations, but for whatever reason, watching my child learn is something that had surprisingly ample patience for. I think what others have said about the child's own interest also plays a massive factor in when to start 'em kiting. Henry didn't have a harness/4 line inflatable kite/twintip until two months before he turned 11. I didn't want to rush it, as I know just how dangerous kiting can be (refer to post about my still-get-puckered-when-think-about) 8 days before the yute was born in 2008 in the Blow Out - barge coming, lofting, me completely fucked outa control.) I'm gonna checkout the kites recommended in this thread too, as I'd love it if 9 year old Sylvie got started in some limited fashion this year. Finally, having a "personal watercraft" in the mix, is pure gold. We have the boat, but I'm blocked from big swell areas, when Henry now doing "downwinder" on the wing foil...and he shoots upwind straight for the big swell... This progression video probably relevant; https://youtu.be/ruTiGfogNs8

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue May 11, 21 6:41 pm    Re: age to start Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
Henry now doing "downwinder" on the wing foil...

Might as well just start the kids on a wing now.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed May 12, 21 9:13 am    kites Reply with quote

i picked up a slingshot Z kite when my youngest started learning.

it definitely would have made learning faster / more fun for my oldest, who didn't learn on the Z kite. when so many new things are going on, having a simple relaunch kite with super depower was awesome.

now that they are past the beginner stages, we don't use the Z kite much anymore. but i would definitely steer people in that direction. if i had to do it all over again, they would have learned on a B2 on land, skipped any B3 action, and jumped to the Z kite in shallow water

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostFri May 14, 21 9:01 am     Reply with quote

I've used a mtn board + 2m trainer on the beach w/ good success. Pretty safe especially if you air down the tires a bit so they can't go too fast.

On the water I've brought a short wake handle with me and let my 9yr old tow after me on a LF fish. It's a lot of drag, so lighter is better, and make sure they float because you can't get back to them right away when they fall off!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 16, 21 6:25 am     Reply with quote

I started by pulling hunter behind a jet ski at 9, last year I had the Brady's hook him up with down winders..... So we bought a place in Padree 3 months ago and hes been doing down winders in the flats of south Texas for a month and he's 11. But..... Padree is the kitty pool of kiting...

Highly dependent on the kid..... If they want to do it, I say let em. But don't push it too hard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: