Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Camas prairie Idaho snow kite need information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wally Gator

Since 23 Sep 2012
38 Posts

PostThu Mar 07, 24 4:03 pm    Camas prairie Idaho snow kite need information. Reply with quote

Heading up to Camus prairie Idaho for the first time to snow kite. I'm going up there on Spring break around March 25th. Has anybody been up there and know the conditions. Also would like to know where the nearest hotel would be. And any other information you could give to me.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Mar 08, 24 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Good on ya Wally, those endless rolling hills and canyons are pretty lonely these days.

The coverage looks very solid now. The closest hotel if it's still running it The Prairie Inn in Fairfield. There used to be a 10% snowkiter discount with Dan and Mona. Otherwise your in Mountain Home or in a home rental at Soldier Mtn.

Not easy to forecast. Pack your biggest kites/wings and be prepared for light wind and cold temps, but you never know.

Main launches are the Malcomsen Snowpark, Pine St. Turn off, Gold Mines, Last Chance (for east wind) Sometimes you have to go to Gwynn Ranch, south off the 47 (fun spot).

You need 3 things to make it work: Wind, decent soft surface that's not sticky, and visability. Good luck! Thumb's Up

pine cam.jpg 

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
260 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Mar 08, 24 9:04 am     Reply with quote

Good beta from Wind Slither!

I would add that I've gone the last 3 years and we've stayed near the prairie in an Air BnB a couple of years and last year we decided to got stay in Ketchum/Hailey and that would be my suggestion. It's a bit of a drive from Ketchum to Camas, but the upside is when Camas isn't blowing, you can go North of Sun Valley and there's a good little spot right outside of town pretty close, 20 min drive maybe. Usually better on the East Winds I believe and tends to blow when the prairie doesn't.

Ketchum/Hailey have WAY more options for lodging, food, and well, everything. You could ski, x-country, snowshoe, etc. Fairfield has pretty much nothing.

When it's on, it's the coolest thing ever! Have a rad time!

Wally Gator

Since 23 Sep 2012
38 Posts

PostFri Mar 08, 24 3:32 pm    Re: Camas prairie Idaho snow kite need information. Reply with quote

Wally Gator wrote:
Heading up to Camus prairie Idaho for the first time to snow kite. I'm going up there on Spring break around March 25th. Has anybody been up there and know the conditions. Also would like to know where the nearest hotel would be. And any other information you could give to me.

Wally Gator

Since 23 Sep 2012
38 Posts

PostFri Mar 08, 24 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Good on ya Wally, those endless rolling hills and canyons are pretty lonely these days.

The coverage looks very solid now. The closest hotel if it's still running it The Prairie Inn in Fairfield. There used to be a 10% snowkiter discount with Dan and Mona. Otherwise your in Mountain Home or in a home rental at Soldier Mtn.

Not easy to forecast. Pack your biggest kites/wings and be prepared for light wind and cold temps, but you never know.

Main launches are the Malcomsen Snowpark, Pine St. Turn off, Gold Mines, Last Chance (for east wind) Sometimes you have to go to Gwynn Ranch, south off the 47 (fun spot).

You need 3 things to make it work: Wind, decent soft surface that's not sticky, and visability. Good luck! Thumb's Up

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 12, 24 10:47 am    Shey - Windance Reply with quote

Contact Chris Shey at Windance . He is the Camas Prairie guru

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Mar 12, 24 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

i second the info windpig provided. hailey/ketchum are lots of fun and still a very cool ski town. The prairie was a little unpredictable, so having a backup plan like riding dollar mtn/sun valley, and the wind spot north of town, will give you something to do other than drink all day when the wind is light

And, snowkiting wears me out fast. LIke an hour tops for me. Not that im the picture of fitness. Just saying, having other things to do was pretty fun and useful

thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostThu Mar 14, 24 7:44 am     Reply with quote

I was out there yesterday and snow was hardpack on top but you would post hole about 8” if walking.

it's warming up this weekend so you might get some corn or you could get slush??

best thing is to be boots on the ground either in MTN home or Fairfield.

Forecast has been very inaccurate and hard to gauge this year and even the most dedicated of the boise crew have barely eclipsed 12 + days out there this year. If you have room, I'd bring extra gear. ski stuff for soldier or Backcountry gear for sun valley area, a mountain bike (cause the riding out of Boise is about to get pretty good) and/or water gear (we occasionally get some big frontal winds rolling though in the spring and there are 3 kite launches and 1 good wing launch just outside of MTN home)

one thing to note is the camas sensor wind direction is incorrect. Look at Grandview and Fairfield for the direction. wind speed is correct though.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. good luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: