Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dwarfcraft strap inserts metric or imperial?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 19, 18 11:32 am    Dwarfcraft strap inserts metric or imperial? Reply with quote

Looking to use the back strap insert to attach a leash loop, are Slingshot strap insert screws metric or imperial threaded?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 19, 18 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

M6x23 self-tapping screw.
https://www.slingshotsports.com/Foot-Hook-Hardware

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 19, 18 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

Interesting, it's not actually a bolt at all, they just cut the tip off a metric screw.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 19, 18 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah - SS undersizes the hole and the screw self taps when you put it in. it's bomber and doesn't come loose.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Dec 19, 18 9:17 pm    leash Reply with quote

just curious, why a leash on a foil board?

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed Dec 19, 18 10:51 pm     Reply with quote

humm, that sure does not look like an M6 thread, it looks like a #12AB to me (ski bindings)

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 20, 18 6:58 am    Re: leash Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:

Agreed. But I see foilers who have a leash attachment, not for the riding but something to hook on to post-crash so the board never leaves while you struggle with a downed kite. I tried it.... only added to my confusion and tangles.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 20, 18 11:32 am    Re: leash Reply with quote

jasonq wrote:
humm, that sure does not look like an M6 thread, it looks like a #12AB to me (ski bindings)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's because it's not a M6 bolt thread like we're used to, it's a M6 screw thread, it just looks like a bolt because they cut the tip off.

wylieflyote wrote:
chrissmack wrote:

Agreed. But I see foilers who have a leash attachment, not for the riding but something to hook on to post-crash so the board never leaves while you struggle with a downed kite.

Mostly for this reason.

I'm often foiling in 6-8 knots and when my kite goes down in those conditions the first thing I do is leash up my board.

I'm also going to try prone paddle foiling at some point and want a leash.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 21, 18 9:00 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Yeah - SS undersizes the hole and the screw self taps when you put it in. it's bomber and doesn't come loose.

I'm not a fan of this. I use M6 bolts--or whatever the insert thread is-- and purple loctite. The self threading screw can work well in brass inserts, but can cause problems in SS inserts. SS against SS with a self tapping screw can result in galling--which will freeze the screw in the insert permanently. Moses does this same thing in their boards; makes no sense to me. Not a big deal though. A trip to the hardware store for the proper bolts and some loctite fixes all. (Just don't use Red loctite! Shocked Very Happy )

I've also seen a lot of kiteboarding gear with blue loctite pre-applied. Blue is good too, but can be a bit too strong sometimes. (Think too many threads coated or a phillips head.) In an application where I can't apply heat to break the bond, I like the purple (low strength) loctite. A lot of people make the mistake of applying the purple without primer. Unlike the blue (loctite 243), the purple (Loctite 222) requires a primer. The loctite has the added benefit of preventing galling and sealing the joint against corrosion.

If you do use the self tapping screws into an insert, use grease to help the screw cut the thread and prevent galling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: