Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil Mount question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 18, 18 4:50 pm    Foil Mount question Reply with quote

I'm thinking of using a foil Mount for my small surfboard in La Ventana. Does anyone have experience with this product and I would like to buy yours if you have one available. I want to put my SS 91 ghost whisperer and 633 wing on it.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 19, 18 11:03 am     Reply with quote

[url/]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhxUXUlRZs[/url]

This video might be helpful, it is available from these guys as well.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Sep 19, 18 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe once the foil mount is stuck to a board, it is nearly impossible to remove. This is good because you won't loose your foil but will be virtually impossible to transfer from one board to another. Buying a used one is probably not an option. They are applied with 3M Ultra High Bond adhesive tape. Removing that stuff will be a major pain in the ass.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 19, 18 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

Everything you say is true Blanco. I mostly want to find out people"s experience applying it to various boards.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 20, 18 7:34 am     Reply with quote

I see many people who try to foil with a dual purpose board - either a homemade surfboard or a dual purpose board that a few manufactures offer.
I don't see a single person who sticks with it (pun intended).

There's probably a good reason why you don't see anyone in the gorge who has done this and stuck with it as they progress.

Kip Wylie may have the best advice - I remember a thread where he converted a surfboard when he was learning.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 20, 18 8:00 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Kip Wylie may have the best advice - I remember a thread where he converted a surfboard when he was learning.

Yes, Back when I was just starting out on a foil I converted a North Whip into a foil setup. Can't really offer up much review on this since I didn't know jack about foiling. The job was not too difficult. Kinda wish I still had this so I could leave it in our shed in Central Mexico:
Drilled 4 ea. 2" dia holes, filled holes with urethane to seal and protect the EPS core. Then glassed in some 4 oz cloth, then drilled for the 4-bolt base, then routered and glassed in 4 strips of ash to strengthen:

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 21, 18 7:05 am     Reply with quote

How did you decide on the location of the holes. I'm assuming you centered the Mount under the "hind"footstrap.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 21, 18 10:38 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
How did you decide on the location of the holes. I'm assuming you centered the Mount under the "hind"footstrap.

Yes. My science on this was completely dictated by Jim Stringfellow's instructions. Essentially the main wing should be located just under or slightly in front of your back instep. I'd pm or contact Jim before you drill.

Funny story: I was one of the first purchasers of the first gen LF Foil Fish. I picked it up on my winter drive to La Ventana. Struggled for 30 days every day trying to ride it but in my opinion, it simply required way too much FF for me to master it. In the end, I was getting at the most a 50-yard ride. I called Jim on my drive home, he moved the holes back 4 1/2 inches, and we went to Jones. Shockingly instantly easy ride after that. It was another "Ah Ha!" moment.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 21, 18 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

Moondog!
If you are riding the 633 now - look down and take note where you place your feet.
Flip the board over and see where your feet are in relation to the mast.
Replicate on your surfboard.
It's not rocket science - just basic Aeronautics. Wink

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 21, 18 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

center of front wing at mid-line on stance is a good starting point

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 21, 18 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks gents, with the foil Mount set up I probably have 4 -5 inches of track to play with. This kite surf board has been sitting in my garage in La Ventana for 5 years looking for something to do. Since I fly down and all my board bags are down there, I figured I would give it a new life as a foilboard!

Alz

Since 04 Aug 2015
33 Posts

PostFri Sep 21, 18 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

I put a foilmount on a slingshot pickle. The mount has specs that describe how flat the the surface needs to be. My board has a very slight V in the tail and and I needed to place the mount a bit farther forward than I was hoping.

The instructions say to stick the plate on and apply pressure, but I wish I had clamped it overnight because the next morning one of the corners had lifted slightly. Probably because of the V in the tail. But I used it anyway with no problems and I doubt the plate will ever come off.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 27, 18 6:49 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:

I typically instruct riders to place the center of the mast 4" forward of the center of your rear foot. front foot position is usually dictated by your stance.
with the 633 I see riders complain about it having too much lift because they can't set it back far enough. allow another couple of inches back if you're gonna use it for that wingset.
assuming you're not going to try and outboost tak, your surfboard should be fine for it. strapless riding is great on a re-purposed board. best if your board has reinforcement or stringer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: