Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River New Parking Fees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue May 22, 18 5:59 am    Hood River New Parking Fees Reply with quote

As noted by Singlemalt in a previous post, The Port of Hood River is going to implement some new fees for parking for the Event Site and other windsurfing/kitesurfing access nearby. Here are some links - the .pdf is the best at explaining what is going to change.

https://portofhoodriver.com/waterfront-recreation/waterfront-parking/

and

https://portofhoodriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/InfoSheetMapP4P.pdf

It will be interesting to see where this new policy "shifts" the parking problem to.

Last edited by Matt V on Tue May 22, 18 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue May 22, 18 6:15 am     Reply with quote

Smile
Last edited by consumer on Tue May 22, 18 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue May 22, 18 6:20 am     Reply with quote

Wink

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 22, 18 8:14 am     Reply with quote

There are alternative launches available where parking is free and plentiful.

Spit and Marina.

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-29515.html

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue May 22, 18 10:09 am     Reply with quote

I started this dumpster fire, so I guess I gotta pee on it.

As this plan is implemented, it will inevitably push more users onto the adjacent areas that do not have a fee.

And so here is the genius part. The previous regular users, at those adjacent "non- fee" areas, will be so ticked off at the increase of users that they will actually call for a fee to be instituted at those locations not specified in this plan.

It is a good way for the Port to claim they are just doing what the users requested and get more revenue.

Create a problem AND get credit for solving it - genius!

oops... that may not have been pee. It actually kind of looks like some used motor oil and a propane tank I am pretty sure was empty.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue May 22, 18 10:58 am     Reply with quote

It’s been a while, but there used to be a fee for the spit, complete with a booth for collecting those fees. Like Matt pointed out, how long until you need the event site pass for both the spit and marina, (and the hook) with day use fees for non pass holders?

The folks paying for marina slips aren’t going to like not being able to find parking. How long until that lot has a special pass?

Just lamenting the pass for this, permit for that, and computerized parking meters.

Port employees get turned into meter maids, and in the fine print of the plan, a collection agency to chase the fines. Does a towing company get in on this action too?

Good news is it’s only Memorial Day thru Labor Day.

I guess it’s time to save up for that bridge.

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue May 22, 18 11:07 am     Reply with quote

@ldhr - The first rule of fight club is Crying or Very sad

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 22, 18 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Spit and Marina are under-utilized public access paid for by tax dollars and port fees.
They're not secret and can easily absorb more kiters without cracking a sweat.
If you are too cheap to pay for public access - go somewhere else.
I think the $75 season pass for the Event Site is cheap for the value I receive.

Once upon a time we had a whole crew that were too cheap to pay for Hatchery and Swell City parking - so we negotiated access to a private beach that became public (Cheap Beach).

I kite from the Event Site ~ 100 days a year and use the beach on non-windy days for SUP and dog launch. It averages out to .75 cents per day. Pffffft!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 22, 18 11:58 am     Reply with quote

I never use the Event Site parking and still buy the pass just so it remains open and there is another tic on the sheet for kiters when they ask about usage. Might someday increase the grass area if everybody can play nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: