Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Taiwan Kiteboarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 27, 18 10:22 am    Taiwan Kiteboarding Reply with quote

Taiwan Kiteboarding

I’m now traveling to Taiwan for business and a couple of weeks ago I spent three days in the island(s) of Penghu.
Here is my review and suggestions.

First, its windy in Taiwan!!!!

From all my research, the winds are the strongest and most consistent in Taiwan, especially in Penghu.
My firsthand experience is in Funerary but my research and talking to others have confirmed that Wind Guru and the wind forecast are extremely accurate.

Note that it’s not really warm in the winter. Air temperatures are in the 50s BUT the water is warm. The week I was there, the air was 55-60 degrees and the water 70 degrees. So, it’s a wetsuit location for winter, but its consistently windy.

Safety, I found Taiwan and the islands to be extremely safe. I read crime is low and I would confirm this fact. I would have no worries sending my teenage daughter or someone of that age traveling to Taiwan alone. Also, it’s much easier to travel around than China, less petty crime. In addition, more people speak English and its much, much, much easier to travel around. If someone has not been to China and is looking for the China culture / experience but with less risk, I would highly recommend Taiwan. Risk, I refer to petty crime, drinking water quality, food safety, hotel quality, traveling with English only as a language, transportation in using Uber and such.

For staying on Penghu, this B&B listed below is the one to stay at. They have scooters, carts and all setup for kiteboarding. Plus, the owner and daughter kiteboard. It’s the only place and really is world class.

http://www.sunrisebb.idv.tw/
Also see their Facebook page and the post they provide to the Facebook group, Northwest Kiteboarding.

Kite location and review. The main kite launch / location is a 2-minute scooter ride to the launch. I kited on both low and high tide. It’s a good size for kiteboarding. The waves are great, as good as anything was have on the Oregon Coast. Let’s leave Manzo out of any comparison 😊. The flat-water location is ok, not the best for its rather small and ½ of the launch has gusty wind because of the sand dune. From the flat water you can get into your normal chop kiteboarding. The chop is better than what we have in Oregon for the water is a great turquoise color !!! I would say the #1 is the waves (up there to world class) and the flat water and chop are just ok.

Two weeks before my visit, there were some kiters from Seattle. I’ll PM them and see if they could add to my post.

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 01, 18 5:07 am    I agree! Reply with quote

Taiwan is excellent. Most folks in the US totally have it off their radar, but it is a paradise for outdoor activities, is safe and friendly, and is soooo cheap!

When I was there, I made good friends with Tony Fish and the crew at SPOT. It is on mainland Taiwan and is about 1 hour south of Taipei. You can easily get a train from Taipei to Miaoli for about $5US and then a quick taxi ride to The SPOT. Tony has EVERYTHING, from kites to windsurfers, SUP to surfboards. They also have a BnB and small resto/bar and is walking distance from the beach. Highly recommended for anyone going to Taiwan on business. Tony and his family were welcoming and extremely hospitable.

https://www.spot.com.tw/home-en

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 01, 18 11:05 am     Reply with quote

jblum

Thanks for the info. I'll need this for my next visit for I'll be in Taiwan for a week in May.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: