Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First Foil Rig Recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 19, 18 9:48 am    First Foil Rig Recommendation Reply with quote

Total beginner never-ever foiler here coming from a 6m kite Gorge swell riding background.

I have a Dwarfcraft 4'6" and debating my foil options.

I am considering learning on the Infinity 76 or Space Skate 65 with the flight school masts. I am leaning heavily toward the Infinity 76 because of reported slower lift speeds, higher glide speed tolerance and potential to keep it long term as a boat/wake skate toy (even if I evolve to a lighter weight, more specialized kite foil rig).

I know this is a clunky heavy foil rig but think the modular, durability & slow speed lift could allow the graduated learning curve without the learners face-plant violence from the long monocoque long masts of Lyft or SS GW 2.0 91 - 633.

1. Please impart your advise on the above plan.

2. Compare your experiences between the Infinity 76 or Space Skate 65.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 19, 18 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I came from the same background as you.
I'm a believer in the Slingshot system for learning.
I used the graduated length masts and followed the advice in the Flight school videos.... learning to foil was easy peasy.
In the beginner/intermediate stage - the weight of the foil only matters when you're carrying it around. As soon as you're in the water - it's not an issue.
Ask around at the beach - you should be able to borrow or buy used the smaller masts (15, 24).
I would lean towards the Space Skate 65 because that's what SS recommends for kiting.

Jon Schlecht is probably the best person who has ridden both and can advise.

don't over analyze - all the new gear is great - jump in and do it before the water gets cold - you'll be swimming.....

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 19, 18 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Keep in mind the H4 comes with a 71 cm mast while the Inf 76 comes with a 61 cm mast. In my opinion the 61 cm mast is too short for kiting (but fine for surfing).

I've only ridden the H4, but that's what I would go with.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 19, 18 11:00 am     Reply with quote

I purchased the standard slingshot foil package with graduated mast this time last year. It came with the H2 wing ( I think). The stock wing was just fine for getting up and learning to ride the foil. I purchased the 76 wing this summer to help with learning transitions. It slowed things down and allowed me to jibe even if I had no power in the kite (a problem I was having as I started turning downwind).

The 76 wing jumps up and stays up, which at times is kind of strange and takes some getting used too. You come to what feels like a dead stop and still 3' in the air.

I really did notice the weight of the bigger wing (other than carrying it to the beach).

So standard wing is okay for starting out on and bigger wing can help is slowing things down for transitions. Now have progressed to the GW-91 with 633 wing which feels somewhere in between the 76 and stock wing.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Sep 19, 18 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with LDHR, hit up Jon and try out some foils. Once you know what works for you, buy that setup until you are comfortable and ready for some more advanced gear. You will for certain upgrade eventually so buying a beginner for longterm is most likely not going to happen.
There are plenty of people around who purchased the flight school and ready to pass on their gear to the next learner.
Starting out on a low aspect wingset isn't the easiest either. Eventhough they go slow, they also feel like they are going to jump out of the water on you. You want a set of wings that allows you to ride the board on the surface and under control for a few sessions before getting up on the wings and actually foiling. Look for a SS Hoverglide setup or Liquid Force Rocket Fish. Get really comfortable it them, then move onto something a bit more aggressive for either lift and low speed or high speed.
You can always hit me up for Liquid Force demos or Jon Schlect for SS.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 19, 18 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

I’d go straight to the lighter surf wings (Impulse, 633, lift 170) and skip the heavy Slingshot hoverglide setup. The weight of it keels the board down on waterstarts and I only used mine 2 sessions before I wanted to switch. A used $500 hoverglide setup especially with a 24” mast will be easy to find and resell though.

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Sep 19, 18 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Great topic because I'm in the same place. 1 of the biggest problems is the brands & numbers associated with foils/masts & getting started. I know some of the numbers relate to aspect of the foil but since there's no continuity in numbers from brand to brand it gets weird fast. Ideally I'd like to start with something surfy & light(bad shoulder), something that is relatively stable at slower speeds but will remain surfy & fun (a good quiver foil) in the long term. It also seems like there's so much progression going on in foil technology that its almost worth the wait to start .....maybe

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Sep 20, 18 5:42 am     Reply with quote

2019 Slingshot Hover Glide with Space Skate wing / 71cm mast, paired with 4'6" Dwarfcraft foil board is an ideal setup to learn and progress on. Recommend Space Skate over Infinity for your stated scenario - kite + wake.

As you progress, this setup is still fun. If you go with Slingshot Hover Glide "platform", you may end up getting a smaller wing / longer mast (like the Time Code formerly called H5 and 91cm mast) for more aggressive foiling and higher speeds, but will likely still enjoy and continue to ride the Space Skate wing and 71cm mast.

Last edited by patdaniels on Mon Oct 01, 18 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 21, 18 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

Great topic because I'm in the same place. 1 of the biggest problems is the brands & numbers associated with foils/masts & getting started. I know some of the numbers relate to aspect of the foil but since there's no continuity in numbers from brand to brand it gets weird fast. Ideally I'd like to start with something surfy & light(bad shoulder), something that is relatively stable at slower speeds but will remain surfy & fun (a good quiver foil) in the long term. It also seems like there's so much progression going on in foil technology that its almost worth the wait to start .....maybe

Surfy and light I would recommend the Ghost whisperer 91 mast (36 in) with the 633 SS wing or the Lift 91 or 101 (40in.) mast with the 150 wing. The lift is all carbon fiber where the SS fuselage is not so it is little heavier. They are both great products, light and forgiving. I started on the 110 lLift wing and it was more challenging because everything happened at a higher speed (scary). After buying the SS633 my sex life increased by 22%!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: