Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA - Event Site Beach will be closed Oct26-Nov3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 24, 17 11:01 am    CGKA - Event Site Beach will be closed Oct26-Nov3 Reply with quote

EVENT SITE BEACH CLOSED OCTOBER 26 – NOVEMBER 3 FOR BEACH REPLENISHMENT

The Port of Hood River will close all access to the Hood River Event Site Beach beginning at dawn on Thursday, October 26 through Friday, November 3, as it will be an active construction zone. Port crews will be working to rehabilitate the beach itself, and heavy machinery and other hazards will be present all hours, all days of the closure. Crews will bring in 300 cubic yards of new washed stone material to replenish the beach slope and place boulders along the edge of the grass to help mitigate erosion and improve the slope for recreational access and safety.

The Hood River Waterfront Trail will remain open, but access to the beach itself will be closed. Kiters and windsurfers are encouraged to access the river via the Spit, or other alternate launch sites.

For more information, visit the Port of Hood River email porthr@gorge.net.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 17 8:24 pm    Re: CGKA - Event Site Beach will be closed Oct26-Nov3 Reply with quote

cgka wrote:
Crews will place boulders along the edge of the grass to help mitigate erosion and improve the slope for recreational access and safety.

I was checking out the work at the Event Site this afternoon, and it looks like they are placing rather large boulders between the grass and the gravel beach.
I can see how this would help with erosion, but it doesn't look so good for access and safety if you have to step over the boulders to get to and from the water. The boulders would almost certainly snag your slack lines as you walk into the water before launching from the grass. The Hood River News is even referring to the line of boulders as a "rock wall"

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2017/oct/28/beach-work/

Has anyone evaluated their final plan from a kiteboarding perspective?

event_site_rock wall.jpg 

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 31, 17 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic Hilton.
Had me kinda freaked, so called down to ask the guys what was exactly going on with the rocks.

Here are the goals :
Reduce erosion that has been encroaching up the shoreline and causing a lot of shoreline damage and resulting in a very crappy shoreline by the end of every summer.

How they plan on doing this :
The large boulders in the picture are going to be used to anchor the shoreline, but first they are digging down into the ground to countersink these boulders as material anchors for the shoreline. On the grass side of the boulders, gravel and dirt fill will be used to level out the transition and, again, create some more anchoring to prevent erosion.
On the water side of things, there will be gravel and rock fill being used to level out that side of the new shoreline and they plan to use as many dumptrucks of gravel/sand fill as their annual permit will allow them to use.

The longterm goals :
Shoreline - putting in the investment to make a solid anchor for the shoreline between the beach and grass that will hold up over the long run.
Beachside - by filling in with as much material as the annual permit will allow them, the Port is trying to work with mother nature's efforts (instead of against). The additional annual material fill will eventually blend in with the naturally occurring sandbar growth and with a bit of luck, will result in some more user friendly shoreline development.
It's not perfect, but it'll be a lot better than if it was just left to continue to deteriorate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: