Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New or Used Equipment - Novice Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostSat Sep 09, 17 10:25 am    New or Used Equipment - Novice Question Reply with quote

First post!! Give me your opinions. My wife and I have one more lesson to go. With your experience, would you now buy new or used equipment?

I realize we don't know diddly about equipment Shocked But -

New: It's easy to go online and pick one of the packages targeted to all levels of rider (SS Rally, LF NV, LF drive boards, etc.) and just have brand new stuff delivered to the door. We can read all the reviews etc.

Used: We live in Idaho so the gorge is a drive for us to check out new or used gear in person. There appear to be some good deals on the classified section of this forum but again, we don't know diddly. Thanks for your insight!

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 09, 17 11:24 am     Reply with quote

I would recommend a used/discounted set of gear from a school... Maybe even the same kite/board you have been learning on. It's a good time of year for this as many schools are selling their 2017 season gear. As novice, the first season or two is hard on gear and it makes no sense to purchase new. if you are lucky, there is enough difference in size between you and your wife that one quiver of kites (2-3/3-4 kites) will cover both of you... You are riding a 9 and she is riding a 7... or 11 Wink

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostSat Sep 09, 17 12:02 pm    Quiver Reply with quote

Thanks. I'd prefer used gear as I know we're going to be a little hard on it. Our school doesn't have the used equipment that we need but their recommendation is a 6, 8, 10m - which will cover both of us for most of the wind we'll encounter. We will need 2 boards of course, a 134 and a 137 is the recommendation. I tried going into the stores when we were in HR over Labor day. They had sales but only a smidge off of what appeared to be high end new gear. I'll try and figure out how to contact the other schools. Any recommendations?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 09, 17 12:27 pm    Used gear Reply with quote

Buy recent year lightly used gear. But keep an eye on places like Real Watersports, who sell new old stock at steep discounts.

Avoid older gear. remember that adhesives degrade over time, you don't want to be pumping up, ready to ride, and find out it won't stay hard. The newer kites are much safer and better behaved.

For a beginner couple, a three kite quiver with two bars should cover your comfort zone.
I'd try to demo a few styles of kites to see what you like, because the learning curve is so fast.

Buy used twin tips for sure, they tend to get away.

Around here, (the gorge) my price range for nicer used gear is $100-200 for a twin tip, $300 ish for a surf board, and kites under $500. Bars around $100. Swaps are better in the spring.

I'm on the third season with a 2012 quiver I bought used, in 2015, and quite happy with how things are working. 8 and 10 are most used with a fair number of 12 days.
Let somebody else enjoy the new kite smell and steep depreciation.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostSat Sep 09, 17 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks singlemalt!

I have prices from both Realwatersports and mackite. Both are close to each other. Differences are 2017 SS Rally vs 2017 LF NV, and 2016 LF Responce CB vs Mission.
Steep discounts for sure.

As such, I've priced out some of the used gear on this forum and the new gear is a better deal. I still need to contact some of the schools to see what they are turning over.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Sep 09, 17 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Give 2nd Wind Sports in Hood River a call. They will be able to help you with everything you need. They carry new and used gear. They will only consign modern gear that is inspected and safe.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 09, 17 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Yep

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 10, 17 6:13 am    Windance and 2nd wind Reply with quote

Windance has a ton of consignment gear and has pics online. Prices drop 10% a month. 2nd wind has some consignment gear but not online. Make sure you buy appropriate gear though and not something expert. Blow up kites and I'd stay away from kites older than 2013 unless they look new and certainly nothing older than 2011 ever

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 10, 17 7:10 am     Reply with quote

There are several Hood River folks who turn their gear often who are 100% honest, treat their gear well, and so forth. This can be a good way to go too.

Among them, but by no means limited to, are:

Zipperline
Jonpnw
ldhr
blancoh2o
Rollo Tomasi
docwild
Dman4403
TAK

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 10, 17 9:18 am    Re: New or Used Equipment - Novice Question Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
First post!! Give me your opinions. My wife and I have one more lesson to go. With your experience, would you now buy new or used equipment?

USED!!!

Start with a mindset that you will take your learning approach safe and slow.

In my opinion the primary goal for a beginner shouldn't be to just get up and riding, rather to attempt to prepare yourself for all the situations yet to come.

This means not just learning how to fly a kite, but rather learning how to fly a kite in low winds or gusty winds. Learning how to untangle your kite when it rolls or inverts. Learning how to loop your kite. While practicing in low winds you should learn how to reverse launch your kite.

These are all skills that can be learned now while standing in shallow water (or later on in deep water with a barge bearing down on you).

While learning these skills you will crash your kite many times. As a beginner you should expect to destroy many kites before you (and your wife) have the skills to keep your kites safely air-born in the sky... in all conditions.

Wind conditions that aren't good enough to ride in are perfect to learn in. Leave your board in the car.

Once you and your wife have mastered these skills, buy new kites and enjoy!!!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun Sep 10, 17 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Also, don't worry about buying used gear over the internet. I used to sell kites all the time and I always told the people to send me a money order, which I would hold till they got the kite. Once they received it and decided it was good, I would cash the money order. Only one guy ever returned 2 kites, and I think he was in Idaho or Montana. He was out the shipping and I sent him back his money order. I realize this takes a lot of trust, but think of it as joining a new tribe which is pretty small and no one is out to rip anyone off. Also pick the sellers brain by telling him you are a beginner. He will be honest and let you know if his kite is good to learn on. Also search out online reviews of good beginner kites then look for them used. Good luck!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 10, 17 10:45 am     Reply with quote

There is so much good used gear in the Gorge that as a beginner you should definitely not waste your money on new gear. I will second the plug for Windance - with their consignment gear you can get all the advantages of a shop (selection, advice, pre-inspected gear) at used prices. Then when you're done with it you can re-sell it via their consignment service for a very reasonable fee and get store credit for more gear.

I'm sure it's a lot of work for Windance to run their consignment business. It's probably messier and not as profitable as selling new gear at full price. But it's such a great service I really try to support this shop in particular because they keep kiting affordable. There are also super helpful and great people that work at/own the shop.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 10, 17 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

Tonya Farmen is selling their entire 2017 fleet of Liquid Force school kites, etc:
http://www.cascadekiteboarding.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: